Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The only game we won down the stretch we won b/c our D scored in the final minutes against Buffalo.

We choked that season away on the arm of #4, he was brutal dow the stretch and he cost us games earlier in the season as well. he had an excellent 3-4 game stretch that ended w/ Tennessee, After that he was brutal.

2. nyjunc

Our O wasn't average, it was in the upper half in both points and yards and Brian is developing a QB that had 16 college starts. Give him some of that cresdit.

Minnesota ran the same system Favre ran for his entire career in GB, we ran a different system. Favre knew that inside and out and he had to learn again here. Let's not also forget that favre never wanted to be here, he wanted to be in Minnesota and stick it to GB and outside of '07 & '09 Favre hasn't been very good most of the last decade.

3. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Yeah he sucked after the Titans game, but every game after that the defense was absolutely laughable. They were just as big if not bigger culprits than Favre. The Niners game, Seneca Wallace, JP Losman...Denver. Just absolutely absymal defensive performances down the stretch.

All in all it worked out because it finally ended the Chad era and ultimately the Mangini era. The two biggest road blocks from the Jets making the next step.

4. nyjunc

Our D was not great BUT our only win came when the D scored late(to beat Buffalo), they score THREE pts at an AWFUL Seattle team and Favre's INT for a TD was the difference against Miami.

In those last 5 games:

Favre: 98-175, 1011 yds, 2 TDs, 9 INTs, 55.2 rating

That's not winning football, not what you expect out of veteran, future HOFer.

5. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

Obviously. But he was also obviously hurt. He had arguably his best year of his career the following season.

The defense gave up 27 points to JP Losman. Couldnt get off the field to against a team of scab olineman and Seneca Wallace.

Both parties were to blame...but to say Favre single handedly sabotaged the season is false. The defense was embarrassing and got Mangini fired.

6. nyjunc

He supposedly got hurt in october, it didn't affect him until December? Come on. He made his career playing hurt and while he wasn't 100% he was healthy enough to win games.

Great response from Tim Graham at espn.com during a chat today after someone bashed Schottenheimer:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36667/nfl-blogger-tim-graham

7. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

I just want him to be more consistent. If he's going to be here, he's got to get better.

Don't call plays that stall a drive and take our momentum away (end around, anyone?). Don't call plays that go right into the strength of the opposing defense (Blast right, anyone?).
    Don't call a wildcat play at the end of a quarter, taking away any element of surprise and giving the defense a chance to respond.
    Go to the hurry-up to keep the defense off-balance or use the clock more effectively.
    Don't call plays that expose weak areas of your offense and then blame the players when they don't "execute".

Help your quarterback and your offense get some momentum going with your play calls when things arent working - don't keep coming back to the same play and expecting it to work because it just wasn't "executed" well enough last time.

He's just got to get better at this stuff.

8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Reread the Gamethread.

ASA Clark got injured I was screaming for us to exploit this.
    Shotty proceeded to call a run right up the gut.

I will say it until he is fired.
    He has ZERO sense of the game and lacks awareness.

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I am 100% certain Schotty heard you and tried to exploit Clark being out on that play, but Sanchez screwed up the execution.

10. nyjunc

How come when we get new posters we don't get good new posters but instead get more people who would rather insult other posters than discuss the topic? Why can't you act like an adult? It's not my fault you have alot to learn about this game.

11. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

And about being a good Christian too. Additionally, instead of make reading insults, I'll simply point out the fact that I am not a new poster.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Am I missing something here?

13. nyjunc

My mistake, I apologize for insulting new posters.

14. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Junc- why should your spiel be treated as gospel, that Shotty calls for us to exploit weaknesses in the opposing D?
    But when we say that there's a problem with the playcalling, that the rest of us are wrong?

Did I miss something? Are you in the huddle or holding shotty's playbook on the sidelines.

15. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

I'm definitely in the camp that says Schotty must go. In fact, I think the best move the Jets could make that would do more than anything else to help this club would be to fire Schottenheimer.

He has had some good games, but has had too many bad games where the offense was awful. The longer he has to prepare, the worse the offense does. He's even admitted that he gets too cute and outsmarts himself when he has too much time to prepare, but still hasn't learned.

There are certain pass routes the Jets don't/won't run and opposing defenses know it. His use of Brad Smith in the Wildcat is too predictable...Brad almost always keeps the ball and runs right. He has only thrown 1 pass in 3 years from that set. Schotty is entirely too predictable to opposing Ds, yet is all over the map with the Jets' players and doesn't take full advantage of the talent he now has on hand to work with. What is the offense's persona? Supposedly, they are a "Ground and Pound" offense, yet in only one game did one of their backs have a 100 yard game, and when they wanted/need to run in big games, they often couldn't, at least not like last year. Shonn Greene was supposedly going to be their starter, yet often got few touches, especially in key situations, even when his YPR average was much higher than LT's. Keller started off the year great, but once Holmes was worked into the offense, Keller became a forgotten man for long stretches of time.

He has plays that never work, yet keeps calling them. I saw a statistic on how many times he has tried an end around with Cotchery this year and it lost yardage every single time, yet there he was calling it during the first half vs. Pittsburgh. Holmes or Brad Smith are the guys to run a reverse with, not Cotchery.

How many times did the Jets score on their opening drive this year? once? twice? At all? To be sure, part of that is due to Rex opting to kickoff rather than receive, but they still have a chance to score and seldom do. Too many games the offense has been nonexistent in the first half and then they had to make a comeback in the 2nd half or in overtime. With all the weapons at his disposal, that is inexcusable.

Have we ever seen him come up with a brilliant game plan taking advantage of opponents' weaknesses, hide the Jets' shortcomings or make an in game adjustment doing that? Have you ever felt that he really outcoached the opposing DC? I haven't.

How any times have we seen them barely get the play off, get called for a delay of game or had to burn a timeout because he couldn't get a play into Sanchez?

I don't think he's done a particularly good job in developing Sanchez, either. Sanchez has definitely improved, but still has though puzzling stretches where he seemingly sulks. His accuracy is still below average for an NFL QB. He easily could have had another 6-8 picks this season. He had at least that many dropped by DBs that were right in their hands. At times, he looked less confident than he did as a rookie. IMO, that goes on Schittenheimer.

As one of the "experts" on the NFL network said recently, "Coordinators either have a knack for calling the right play at the right time or they don't." I totally agree with that sentiment, and it is glaringly apparent to me that Schotty doesn't have that knack, at least not on a consistent basis. He is pedestrian at best. With the talent the Jets had on offense this year, it was inexcusable for them to ever get shut down.

Finally, there are the consistently stupid penalties (illegal formation, illegal procedure) that offensive players make that have killed drives and contributed to losses.

I love LT, but at this stage in his career, he should be the change of pace back, not the starter, yet as long as Schittenheimer is here, I believe LT will always start and get more carries than Greene or the other Jets backs.

16. DanR

DanR Active Member

I'm still flummoxed over that.

17. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Schottenheimer for Titans Head Coach!

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

/sarcasm

Maybe players get too relaxed after prolonged break or something. It's all execution. Maybe Sanchez is too inconsistent. Maybe WRs are dropping the balls they should be catching. Maybe Hunter tipped the play. Maybe Slauson was headless when blocking. All in all, that's execution.

Schotty's fault they are not.

/sarcasm off

(Coming out flat in 1st quarter game after game is... the fault of the offense, right? I gotta say, good job Schotty.)

1. I remember talking about this fact WHILE FAVRE WAS HERE. (Meaning Schotty hasn't learned a thing about WR routes in years by now.) Yet, still it will be the fault of players and execution to some Schotty supporters. (It's simply mind-boggling.)

2. Picking on the weakling - that's what Schotty never does. He showed this tendency to attack where the defense is strongest. Time after time. So he always went pass-happy against good pass defense team, and then went 3 straight run-up-the-gut series against good running defense team. (Remember Oakland game? TJ had 159 yards rushing that day, and we STILL lost. That falls on the execution, right? My ass.)

3. Not utilizing his weapons at disposal: maybe it's again execution thing. Sanchez not seeing Keller open game after game, maybe?

(If you ask me, it's all play design. Look at teams with prolific passing attack. They don't go bombs away every drop. The bread-and-butter type of plays are those that earn good 8-15 yards through the air with some RAC capability - i.e. plays that gives good yardage (1) and play makers some space to fiddle more yardage (2). I have seen only handful of passing plays that allowed that - the likes of 58 yard strike to Cotchery, but this wasn't due to the play design; instead it falls on the New England secondary completely biting on Santonio and Edwards, and getting flustered by Keller downfield.)

If you remember at all, the Cotchery end-around was the fucking dumb play where Cotchery fumbled the ball in our red zone when we were playing in Denver a few years ago. Like I said, this guy hasn't learned his lessons in YEARS. (And then he proclaims "I am a good offensive coordinator!!" Oh sweet Jesus.)

Deferring worked better for us more often than not. We do have good kickoff team (thanks Westhoff) and we did have good 27+ yards returning kickoffs, but if things go the way I think it should go, deferring works better. Because we have such a good special team (again, thanks Westy) we usually get the kick returner around the 20 yard line or less. 3-and-out, and 45 yard kick, followed by minimal gain (about 7-8 yard) puts us at 35+, about a full 10 yard better than returning the kick. (And this tactic worked too.)

Now, the offense STILL DOES NOT SCORE even when it is gifted with short field. Of course it's all execution again, right?

Some good DCs schooled Schottyboy even during this season. (Capers allowed no TD for instance.)

Ah-hah. I was harping about the play clock thing for some time. To his credit however, this tendency went down a little bit. (Through game 12 or so, it was so fucking brutal; Sanchez was getting his plays WITH 15 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK. AYFKM?)

I don't know about this one. What I know is that, Two Charger QBs were coached by him. Drew Brees struggled to the point where he was benched for the up-and-coming Rivers. He went to New Orleans, and became what he is. Maybe Schotty's teachings bloomed late or something. (Same deal with Rivers)

(My take? Maybe Schotty is marginally talented at QB coaching. Maybe not even that good. Brees and Rivers had to leave the influence of Schottenheimer to become what they are now. Coincidence? I think not.)

Not really. WELL BELOW AVERAGE at best would be the fitting description.

Remember, during the season when Jets came through crunch times, it wasn't Schotty's brilliant play calls that saved the team. It was Santonio begging for slant route. It was Braylon pleading he was owning that puny little DB on the sideline.

Maybe this one does go as the execution problem.

We will see...

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

When Rex Ryan wins the toss, he defers to the second half. The result? The Jets have allowed their opponents to score first in all six playoff games in the Rex Ryan era.

OK...the above is from Bleacher Report...but if it's fact, the coaching staff really needs to re-evaluate where the strength and weaknesses are with this team. And it's not like the Schotty bashing is unique to this board. His performance is being criticized by everyone interested in football.

I get the feeling that Rex is stubborn to a fault. Ground & pound? You mean like the Steelers did on their opening drive? The defense sucked for sure, but we had one rushing yard in the 1st half.

The Jets really need to get their shit together...

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Deferring is not why the other teams have scored first.