Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

So you put all that on Schotty?

Mendenhall gained over our season average allowed PER GAME in one half.

In this case I don't blame Rex too much, if our players can't get up enough for a SB trip that's not on him.

Sure the lack of 3 and outs didn't help.

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

No, I said both the offense and defense were to blame, but that wasn't enough for junc.

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Read this morning in Newsday that Shottenheimer is being considered, along with 7 or 8 other guys, in light of Jeff Fisher's departure from Tennessee.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I wondered about that, too, when I heard about Fisher. I had thought he was going to stay there when they got rid of Young. Now it seems there is an unexpected opening in Tenn.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I just heard on ESPN, Adam s. that Heimerdinger and their O-line coach are the top 2 on their list, personally I don't think Heimerdinger would get it because of health issues, the additional stress probably will not help him.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I know some here would go into fits of ecstasy if Schotty got this Tenn job. That reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Apocalypse Now:

Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, I never wanted another.

In other words, be careful what you hope for.

7. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Here's the bottom line.

The Jets offense-aside from QB and OC-is pretty good and pretty balanced, particularly this season, but the overall offensive performance hasn't been all that good.

That leaves the QB and the OC as the issues. Either Schotty or Sanchez is the weak link. Schotty is either a very good OC who's masking a QB who's not ready for prime time or he's a shitty OC who's handcuffed a QB who is ready for prime time.

If Sanchez is the weak link the offense will improve as Sanchez gets more experience (or, if he doesn't improve, it will stay the same even if we lose Schotty). if Schotty is the problem then you'll see the offense get better very quickly once he leaves.

But there's really no other way to test it.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

All I know is that Rex's choice for OC is the HC in Oakland and is highly regarded in the NFL as a damn good coach.

I trust the guys Rex brings in here. He seems to find some great coaches.

I do wonder who Schotty will take with him, because I really don't know who wants to leave this awesome CS.

9. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Or there is the impossible for people who love black and white cookies to see possibility that is a nice mix of both. Schotty makes some bad play calls, Sanchez makes some bad plays that ruin good play calls. I expect Sanchez will reduce his number of bad plays and as he grows in the offense will be able to change out of bad play calls at the line.

10. Jets201

Jets201 New Member

At this point I'd take a monkey over Schottenheimer. 6 years of this guy and not once has the Jets offense been better than decent. He even found a way to hold down Brett Favre, a guy who could throw for 300 yards in his sleep, even if the three stooges were his starting WRs.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Brett favre sabotaged our season but thankfully he did or we wouldn't have rex and sanchez.

People need to look at this logically.

2006: inherited Chad coming off his 2nd shoulder surgery
    2007: Chad was hurt, Kellen Clemens started a good portion of the year
    2008: was handed Favre a month before the season in a new system for favre
    2009: had a rookie who only had 16 starts in college
    2010: 2nd year QB who improved tremendously and helped us make the title game AGAIN.

EVERY fanbase whines about their OC when things don't go right, I saw it forsthand in Foxboro and Pitt the last 2 weeks. We have a good OC, one most teams would love to have and our O is on the verge of becoming a top O as Mark constinues to improve. The last thing this O needs now is major change in the coaching dep't.

12. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

I agree that we don't need a major change - I don't think the overall scheme is the problem. I would love to see what we could do with a different play-caller, somebody who has a better feel for the different game situations - this is a clear weakness of Schotty's. I would love to see what we could do with someone who is better at gameplanning how to attack a defense - Schotty seems to be hit or miss in his gameplanning.

I hope Schotty goes to Tennessee and Callahan gets the job.

13. nyjunc

He hits when the Ol is protecting and opening holes, RBs are running well, Mark is accurate and making good decisions and receivers are catching balls and he misses when mark makes bad decisions/is inaccurate, RBs struggle, OL struggles and the receivers are dropping balls.

14. Lawbot

Lawbot New Member

No, that's not true. His strategy is questionable. By that, I mean that he doesn't attack a defense's weakness on a regular basis. Some weeks, it seems the strategy he picks (focus on short passes underneath, for example) will work, and that he has a better handle on the defense's strengths and weaknesses. Other weeks, not so much, but he has good enough players that they make it work. But it's not consistent.

Also, his situational awareness in games is not great at all. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. Again, he's inconsistent.

Of course he looks better when the players execute. I'm not saying he's always bad. Just not consistent.

15. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

The best is when you hear that a starting CB has been taken out of a game, or was never in the game, replaced by Joe Shmo with 1 career start, piss poor stats. WE NEVER EXPLOIT THE WEAK LINK. We never target that player like Manning did with Coleman for instance.

For the life of me I'll never understand this aspect of Shitforbrains' play calling.

16. nyjunc

So you want him to force the issue? maybe those plays were called but weren't there? A QB has to read a defense, I am 100% sure they called plays to try to take advantage of certain matchups. That doesn't mean they are always going to work. The players have to do their part. There is a reason rex and sanchez love Brian and he's thought of highly around the league.

17. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

You like to throw out percentages with absolutely no supporting evidence that your percentages are even remotely accurate. I'd like to try.

There's a 98.32% chance that people who use some variation of the word "junc" in their online user names have extreme homosexual tendencies. 96% of Americans know this.

18. nyjunc

Stop projecting your fantasies on me.

If you don't think the gameplan is to attack weaknesses on a D I don't know what to tell you. That is basic High School type of coaching. Plans don't always work out, they need to be executed. you guys act like this is a video game, you are always looking for a scapegoat if something doesn't go how YOU want it. It gets embarrassing reading some of this responses.

19. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

The defense sabotaged the 08 season, it was pathetic all year. Prior to Favre's injury, the Jets had the best offense they had since 98 from a passing standpoint.

We were clicking....then Favre got hurt, then we collapsed.

The defense stunk all year...couldn't stop anyone on 3rd down or generate a pass rush.

20. Jets201

Jets201 New Member

Sure, if setting for average is acceptable. Nothing is his fault. How do we have a good OC? Nothing that he's done here backs that up. He was handed Favre, just like Minnesota was handed Favre, the only difference was Favre in Minnesota had a tremendous year. Chalking that up to "oh well he always wanted to play in Minnesota, not with the Jets" is mere speculation. Those 11 games when Favre was healthy here saw 11 of the most pedestrian performances he's produced. If so many teams would love to have Schitty then why is hardly anyone trying to get him? This offense would be
    SICK next year if we had a good OC.