Jets Should Get Aso (and build a temple)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Notorious J.E.T.S, Jan 27, 2011.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

With FA such a clusterfuck this year, there's no way you can trade your first 3 picks. Especially when your 2nd has already gone bye-bye. We need a pass rusher, a big guy in the middle, we might need a WR, we might need a RB, we might need a....well, I'm sure you all got the point. Either way I'm sure we're not drafting a PK this year, simply put. There will be players at the end of the 1st round. There always are.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If Geiger can convince Aso to sign for a cap friendly deal I will do backflips and never speak ill of Mr. Geiger again

3. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, everybody knows what a SOJF I am :rolleyes:

The "possibility" of getting Asomugha has been discussed on here for well over a year now. It was tiresome BEFORE Revis got his contract, and it's sure as hell tiresome now. Getting Asomugha would cost this team a lot more than it would benefit us. At the rates for top corners, you're looking at losing two GREAT free agents at positions of severe need to sign one free agent at a position that we're busy developing a good, young prospect...opposite a guy we've committed crazy money to.

If discussing the possibility means writing some kind of fairy tale in which you completely ignore the financial ramifications and the detrimental impact on the roster, then I have every right to point out that you're wasting your time. The only way Aso comes here and doesn't damage our chances to contend now AND in the future is if he convinces a WR and ILB to show up alongside him, all taking 50% cuts in their salaries, and form the most altruistic trio the world has ever seen. Rex has some power and pull with players, but if you think he has THAT kind of power, you should probably just go hit him up for some magic beans.

4. 624

624 Banned

Next year's lineup:

CB: Revis, Asomugha, Wilson

S: Ed Reed, Leonhard, Pool, Smith, Ihedigbo

Hybrid S/CB/DB Madden Position: Cromartie

ILB: Harris, Scott

OLB: Woodley, Pace, Beal

NT: Jenkins, Pouha

DE: Ngata, Ellis, Devito

..and I think we will keep Edwards and Holmes too.

5. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I'm not saying they should trade the picks. I'm just saying that if you want to help the pass rush through the draft you probably have to trade up. 3-4 OLBs who can help the pass rush right away usually get picked a lot earlier than the end of the first round (or at the end of the third round).

There's a difference between a hope and a plan. You can hope to add a safety, a NT, and a pass rushing OLB using the Jets' first three picks, but it's not a very good plan-the chances of getting high quality NFL players who can contribute right away when you're picking 30/62/94 are pretty low.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Sounds about right, make it happen tanny!

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The geiger underground is a powerful entity.

Make it happen, geiger.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Aso's awfully unlikely to sign anywhere for under $10 million. I don't think we're going to be able to re-sign Cro unless he suddenly panics about the work stoppage and his inability to pay child support. If the labor issues drag out through February, there's a very outside chance. It's still better than the chance of signing Aso, but not by much. We'll likely be unable to sign either one.

Also, don't assume that teams just plain won't look at Aso. With Revis and Aso on your top WRs, you pick and choose. I'm having a tough time locating the full stats, but midseason, Aso was at 9.2 YPA against when he was thrown at. As was posted here, Cromartie finished the season at 5.7 YPA against. Teams aren't just going to entirely relegate their passing game to their 3rd and 4th receivers. They'll start to attack, and then we'll see for the first time in years how good Aso really is. I don't personally think he's worth the contract unless you're sure teams aren't going to throw at him. Works out when you have a lesser corner opposite him. Doesn't work so well with Revis.

Signing Aso won't mean losing Cro, JT, and LT. One of those is gone already, another likely gone, and a third a good possibility. Signing Aso means losing one of our receivers and probably Harris, since we'd have to reconsider how to spread the remaining money out.

EDIT: Aso finished the season at 6.2 YPA against. Revis finished at 6.0 YPA, but in Weeks 7 - 17, he was at 4.6. Again, it was reported Cromartie finished the season at 5.7.

#88 ........, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Don't forget Randy Moss as a #4 WR/deep threat. Oh DeAngelo Williams as 3rd down RB too

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I figured that was just assumed.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tanny do what he do.

12. Oasis

Oasis Member

This would be more worthy of The Decision than Lebron.

"I'm taking my talents next door to Revis Island."

13. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

If he changes his name to Ass-o-mungus, I'm all for it.

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

NO way in hell this happens, if Revis and Aso really want to win they would work something out.

In the end making $5 mill is not enough, even if that comes with a SB ring.

15. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I have to admit it would be funny to see all the threads started in week two after Aso gave up 75 yards to whoever it is the Jets will play.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Pfft. Don't you realize that Aso and Revis would combine for 89 targets again next season just like they did this year? It'll be all dumpoffs and quick slants to the 3rd receiver. :breakdance::breakdance::breakdance:

17. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

As badass as it would seem to get Asomugha, the reality is what would we do with Revis, Aso, Cro, and Kyle Wilson? We are already heavily invested in Kyle Wilson (1st round pick), and Cromartie already knows the system well and has shown he can play well there. What would we do with 4 corners? We wouldn't... we'd let one go. And since we've already given up a 2nd round pick for Cromartie, I don't see us just letting him walk. I really expect the FO will try to sign him. That means we wouldn't have any need for Aso on our roster... We're fine at CB...

But what we do need is some goddamn safties!

18. Tenn_JetsFanatic

only on Madden does this seem financially possible.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

We should also look into Champ Bailey, and Asante Samuel. I've been a supporter of this since 2 minutes ago. 1 DL, and 10 Dbs. Come get some!! Who needs to stop the run when no one can pass... lol

20. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Haven't you been paying attention?

Cromartie to FS solves that problem. He is an 85 in Madden at FS!:lol: