Getting Defensive: It is time for the Jets to start over on defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jan 25, 2011.

1. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

We need a nose tackle and one end. A really good outside linebacker and a safety 4 positions not 5. I would keep Harris I would have love to have kept Vilma as well to play on the outside.

2. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Cakes, Puck can tell you where he got the info from. I was just regurgitating it. But Puck is about as trustworthy as they come, so if he believes its true enough to post, I trust that it is.

3. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Agreed. He's huge for the team: been with Rex for years, emotional leader, good ILB that allows Harris to shine but his salary is overinflated. I think Barts situation will be status quo.

4. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

This a million times over.

5. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

I disagree with the need at safety. I believed it was one of the bigger needs in the draft but that was before the playoffs. Eric Smith and Brodney Pool played quite well and Leonhard will be back from injury next year. Which looks like a lot of depth at safety for next year.

6. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

I stopped reading when you said release Bart. Idiotic.

7. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

Nope I think we need a safety because the middle of the field is always hurting us and is open for attack. A good safety will cover that weakness up. Poole had his issues and was not what I think they expected and Smith is what he always was a very good hitter but weak on certain coverages. I expect the opposing teams to attack the middle because of corners but they hit time and time again and game after game

8. alljetsallday

alljetsallday New Member

i hate to say that we are rebuilding on defense but hey thats what it is we got some fossils on that side of the ball i think we need a youth injection let some of these guys play like westerman, muaga, ripoti , cook, glibert i definitly think these guys have talent they need to see the field though

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Let's fix our strength. I don't get it.

10. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

Get rid of Scott are you kidding? Just because a guy isn't making flashy plays doesn't mean he isn't valuable. All we really need is a new DE, an OLB, and possibly a beast NT if there is one available. If we can sign Jenks for vet min, I say do it, the injury this year was just horrible luck and he definately has something to prove still.

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'll read this later, but I wanted to comment on your list of cuts. I agree with all of them except Bart Scott.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

If they get rid of Scott, the run D will fall apart.

For the d-line: Pouha and DeVito will obviously return in their roles. I think Ellis is a goner, and the DE spot will be filled by Pitoitua, Gilbert, Dixon, a mid-round rookie, or someone brought in on the cheap, maybe even Pryce who Rex obviously loves. I also think Jenkins will be back at a reduced salary to be more of a part-time player and he will help provide depth. Gholston is obviously gone as well.

linebackers: Harris re-signing is a must. I think Bart Scott could be a candidate to re-structure his contract, but there is no way he won't be back. Mauga will be the backup ILB next year and he could be a guy they're grooming for a bigger role down the line.

At OLB, Calvin Pace will be back, but Bryan Thomas will be cut. His production doesn't match his price tag, and we really have to get younger and faster on the edges. I would love to find a way to bring in LaMarr Woodley, but I don't know if that's feasible. Thomas's spot will likely be filled by a veteran on the cheap (maybe Thomas himself if he takes a cut) and a rookie who is groomed to take over. Westerman can also be in the mix, and Shawn Crable is a sleeper candidate. Taylor is gone, likely into retirement. This is the biggest need on the whole team, so if they can't sign someone like Woodley, I hope they draft 1 or 2 guys to come in and see what they can do.

Secondary: I think Cromartie will be a priority to re-sign, because Wilson hasn't shown any reason for anyone to think he can step up and play 100% of the snaps next year. Tanny is a contractual master, don't be surprised if he swings a deal that the Jets can easily get out of after 1 year. Coleman and Cole will probably be back to provide depth, but Trufant and/or a mid-late round rookie could be brought in to push them.

At safety, Leonhard will be returning and I for one would love to have Pool back. His play in the 2nd half of the season greatly improved and Leonhard's injury turned out to be a blessing for him. Plus, he won't command a huge contract, and with all the big-money free agents the Jets have this offseason, we have to go cheap some places. Pool and Leonhard, with Smith (who could also be brought back at a reasonable price) and Ihedigbo backing them up is a pretty decent safety group. I wouldn't mind a rookie being brought in to be in the mix, but we don't have many draft picks and there are more pressing needs than safety. These guys did a fine job and can definitely hold down the fort at least another year.

There is no need to "blow up" or rebuild the whole defense. It's still one of the best defenses in the league, and that was with Pace breaking his foot, Revis not being Revis for about the first half of the season or so due to the holdout, Jenkins playing 1 quarter the whole season, Wilson struggling as a rookie, and Leonhard breaking his leg. We will be fine.

13. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

We don't need to blow up the defense but we do need more speed on defense, particularly at outside linebacker and safety.

14. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

The issue here isn't what Scott does or doesn't do, it is how much $$$ he makes for the production he provides. The fact of the matter is that he was replaced in Baltimore by an UDFA making a fraction what he does with the Jets. Is McClain as good as Scott? Probably not, but for given what we are paying Scott, he isn't worth the money.

I would much rather prefer the Jets FO use that money and go with a low DP or UDFA in Scott's position and spend the money on a pass rushing OLB. I am not anti-Scott as my original post may lead you to believe. I am just more about being proactive with the Jets salary structure and roster composition to get them to the Super Bowl. IMO, paying Scott to be the "fullback" of the defense is less important that paying or drafting a guy at OLB to sack the QB. As Rex has proven once before and the Ravens have proven again, you can take an UDFA off the street and get them coached up to play this position.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Lets blowup the 3rd ranked defense in the league!!

I am 100% on board with this.

:drunk:

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Maybe one of thoese players turns into a great player (like Scott did) but expecting UDFAs and waiver pickups to be anything more than filler is completely unrealistic.

17. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

So for the first time in franchise history we make it to the AFC title game in back to back years, and we want to blow up the defense and rebuild.

NOT HAPPENING

18. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

Get rid of Scott and Thomas? Are you guys on crack? The only reason we can have the DL we have is because our LB's are so good at stopping the run. Scott, Thomas and Harris are three of the best run defenders in the league. Why would you get rid of the guys that get the defense into 3rd down situations? We're able to get so many 3-and-outs because of these guys.

They are the foundation on which this defense is built. You can't be a good defense until you can stop the run. These guys stop the run. Now, do they get exposed a little bit when the other team passes? Yes. But that's okay. They're not supposed to be out there on 3rd and 11 or 2nd and 14. We have nickel and dime backs as well as pass-rushing linebackers for those situations. And play-action on 2nd and 5 usually means they're covering RB's or TE's not WR's split wide. They'll give up the first down once in a while, but they'll get the offense to 3rd down more often than not.

In any case, who'd we replace them with, anyway? Our backups are nowhere near as good against the run. And there are very few "complete" linebackers that can also cover/pass rush really well.

19. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I could understand cutting Bart Scott because I have seen the same lack of production on gameday. What we don't see is his value during the week and effectiveness on plays where he is not the tackler. With the info we have, I see your point though.

Cutting Gholston is an absolute, 100% must-do. The guy's a plug and always will be.

I am a little less satisfied with the personnel on the D-line though. Pouha is get in a 4-man front and holds the fort against the run but I am not convinced he's a 2-gap player. Also, when we blitz in passing situations and he get a 1 on 1 with a centre or guard, he is less effective than Jenkins was. I don't trust that Jenkins can come back and be the guy he was in the first season with us, though. The injuries and age will have slowed him down. But when he was healthy, he'd a get a 1 on 1 and had the feet to beat a guy with agility and the power to drive him straight back into the QB. he had to be accounted for on every play, and I am not sure he does any more.

As for our draft, I'd like to see a first round safety or DE. I wanted Corey Wooton last year, but Chidago got him. He's 290 and is athletic enough to firce a tackle upfield. Our DE's don't do this well (Taylor finally did a good job of it against the Pats). Most of the time our DE is engaging the tackle at the point of attack and our rushers take a wide line to the QB. With the double teams on Pouha, QBs were sensing that pressure and stepping up, and hurting us with the medium throws over the middle. If we can get a DE to force the tackle to retreat high, our blitzes can ome up the b-gap and force QBs to retreat backwards.

Finally, it's time to realize that Cromartie was not as great as advertised. He was highly penalized and does not use his hands. On off-coverages, he was give up huge cushion and in reality, if his talent was as advertised, he'd be up on receivers far more often. When he jams, he doesn't move his feet. When he moves his feet off the snap, he doesn't get his hands on WRs. He bites on double moves all the time, and when a WR gets beside him he starts sprinting to the 9-route instead of watchign the WR's hips, which leaves him vulnerable to those back shoulder throws and sideline comebacks. I think we need to take our lumps with Wilson and see if the guy's a player. He's getting first round pick money for a reason. Money spent on a player to cover for Wilson is money we could be investing in improvements at other positions.

I want more athleticism up front and a playmaker at safety. It really will only take 1 or 2 players with the right skill set to improve the Jets D. They don't need to be stars, they just need to fill a role.

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Read a little.

Nobody is saying Bart Scott isn't effective, just that he is making big money to be an average player.

#40 Jtuds, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011