On the Sanchez fumble

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Barry the Baptist, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Correct.

It Could not have been a backwards pass.

That's an intentional act whereby the ball is delivered to a point behind a line parallel to the QB.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You cannot impart clockwise spin on the ball without bringing the hand forward.

That ball was clearly the result of some forward movement.

3. chibucks

chibucks New Member

i thought any backwards pass was a live ball (fumble)... how would they determine intent?

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

It was close, unless by monumental luck for the Jets, they were not going to overturn that.

To be honest I was more perturbed by the late hit on Sanchez not being called than this play being overturned. That shit is in the rulebook and they called that pussy Eric Smith shit.

It was close and could have gone either way. The fact the game is over and it is debatable either way, bears this out.

5. BScottFTW

BScottFTW Banned

You can probably look forward to seeing some of the same BS calls in the SB going against the Packers.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

as a sidenote, what exactly did Sanchez injure on that play? it looked like he was holding his left hand or something...I don't remember...

7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

No you won't......the Packer fans -- who are also OWNERS of the publicly-traded team -- have already prepared videotapes of the Ravens being called for interior-line DEFENSIVE holding against the Steelers and the Steelers NOT BEING CALLED for OL holding in the backfield against the Jets.

DVDs are being sent to the league office, press, Milwaukee/Green Bay sportswrites, and this will be a theme the next 2 weeks without the Packer coaches bringing it up.

How much you want to bet that Matthews and Hawk will get 2 sacks each OR they'll be 3-4 holding calls on the Steeler OL in the SB ?

My friend who is a huge Packer fan was watching the game with about 20 other GB fans and they couldn't believe the non-calls in the game. Well, actually they could -- but they're not gonna let that happen to them.

8. LukasHenry

LukasHenry Banned

Unfortunately, his arm doesn't come forward before the ball is knocked out.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

A backwards pass is a fumble except when Ben threw a backwards pass and they ruled it incomplete in the 3rd qtr.

I have to see the replay again but I felt it should ahve been incomplete.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Nantz & Simms had opposite opinions on whether it was a forward pass. Simms felt it was a fumble & Nantz felt he was going forward. Think they both agreed that it was too close to overturn whatever the onfield ref called.

11. LukasHenry

LukasHenry Banned

Wow, you are stretching... Stop being so delusional. Calls are called on both sides. The Jets lost the game. Get over it. The refs had nothing to do with 1 yard rushing in the first half, nothing to do with the goal line stand, nothing to do with 3-6 and the Jet defense not making a stand when needed. Period.

12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I thought the rapist's pass was clearly backwards. I couldnt believe it was ruled incomplete so quickly and I couldnt believe no one said anything about it

13. nyjunc

That was clearly backwards and was a huge play. At worst they should have lost 5 yards and at best maybe we could have picked it up.

14. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Surprised this hasn't been brought up. Considering how badly the defense looked against the run, it would've been great to pull a TO from the Steelers while trying to drive the length of the field.

Offense was struggling badly & wasn't even close to FG range.

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Not delusional

Games are not played in a vacuum. Every play influences the next play, and if you change the outcome of one play, you change the remaining plays as well. It is "delusional" to think that if the Steelers don't score a touchdown on that play, the game's outcome would've been exactly the same. You could only speculate on what would've happened.

Maybe things change to the point that the goal line stand and the 3rd & 6 play never even happen.

That being said, the only reality is that the Steelers at home will always be the beneficiary of such a play.

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

glad im not goin crazy.

17. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

I think that play was about as close to a borderline play as you can get. Unfortunately for the Jets, the original call was fumble, with not enough evidence to overturn. You just know though, that if it was Brady, Peyton,Rothlisberger, the call on the field would have been incomplete.

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

So I'm not going crazy either... I couldn't believe it was ruled incomplete at the time.

Now I thought Sanchez's arm was moving forward and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. All that being said it doesn't change the fact that our guys played like shit in the first half and yes on 3rd and 17 we should have just run a draw in that spot but there were plenty of things we should have done.

19. nyjunc

The funny thing is if we did run it in that spot this board would have went nuts complaining about us being conservative even though it would have been the smarter thing to do.

Pitt was getting alot of calls but we have seen that pkenty this year and have been able to overcome. They came out on fire and dominated our defense and that is why they won.

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I thought it was not a fumble and still think so.

I know I sound like a broken record but if that were Peyton, Tom, or any of the elites that is ruled incomplete.

Even so, why did no Jet players react they all just stood there, just more evidence that this team came out confusingly flat in the first.