Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Jets201

Jets201 New Member

In this case, I wish they could. The biggest obstacle to this team's future success is Schottenheimer handcuffing the offense. I'd do cartwheels if some other team came in and hired him away. But that probably won't happen, sadly.

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

It's fine, when my two biggest detractors are you and notorious J.E.T.S I can sleep well at night.

You two like to act like I am the dudes biggest fan. I just see that he is never the whole problem, not with a second year QB. He has his issues but firing him right now would be dumb.

I do still find it funny that I made like 3 posts directed at him and he took the time to dedicate a picture to me. Really cute, and now I get to be internet famous for as long as Hobbes and Schotty are around.

#2062 ukilledkenny, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not at all.

We actually agree to a point.

Rex is NOT coaching him up....when Mr.TIBS calls a decent short passing game and keeps #6 over 60% this offense can be unstoppable...

The running game clicks, the long game clicks...Rex needs to beat him down and make him watch Pats tapes till he learns how to work the 3 seconds and gone game.

4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

You do realize that Sanchez LOVES Schottenheimer -- Mark's dad gushes over him, says they get along great ?

If they fired him and Sanchez is upset or pouts, then what ???

Be careful what you wish for: I saw the same crap in 1979 with John Idzik....fire the guy....get rid of him....so the Jets got rid of him, and we went from back-to-back 8-and -8's to 4-12 in 1980.

#2064 JetsKickAss, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. ukilledkenny

That's all fine and good, I just think that the keep him above 60% thing can be difficult when he isn't playing well, which happened plenty throughout the course of the year.

Next year I might agree with the keep him above 60% or it's your head but that will depend on how far Sanchez progresses between now and next season. Both Sanchez and Schotty can be inconsistent. Sanchez can hide some Schotty's inconsistency, Schotty can't hide Sanchez' inconsistency.

6. ........

........ Trolls

With the delayed start of the league year due to a potential lockout, you're looking at a likely 2 years of handcuffing the offense with a new OC, unless Rex and Bill forced him into a gameplan. I'd rather see them do that with Schotty, who at times pisses me off but has also been a very good OC at others.

7. Hobbes3259

It's NOT inconsistency.

It's being asked to throw Outside the numbers and down the field.

Utilizing the High Percentage passing game is how you keep him there.

8. ukilledkenny

And this is where you lose me.

How can you tell me that our second year QB hasn't been inconsistent? It isn't all one or the other. It is mix, how that mix breaks down is largely up for debate but I think it is much closer to even than you do.

9. Hobbes3259

Because I actually go back, and watch the game out of the moment.

It's Schotty's biggest problem.

He only calls throws down the field, and/or outside the numbers.
    (When he stopped, Pitt and Chi, 6 was at 60%)

It's so F*ng bad that last night when he called the WR Screen to JCo, (who was inside the numbers and gained 7 or 8) that I almost shit myself.

It's the first time he's ever called it like that...
    He'd always called it outside the numbers for a range of +1 to - 2 yards.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I find the playcalling questionable at times. But on the issue of whether Schotty should get some or none of the credit for Sanchez's development, which is real, I think we can agree no one here knows the real answer. But someone who might have an inkling is Ryan, and I understood he said both that the team will be built around Mark, and that Schotty will be back next year.

I think that tells you where Ryan comes down on this credit business.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Can we change the title of this thread or move the discussion somewhere else? It's just so fuckn' whiny.

12. ukilledkenny

Not gonna deny any of his playcalling issues, they are there and are a concern moving forward.

I have to think you are still re-watching these games with an anti Schotty bias if you are going to tell me that Sanchez played great all year and was brought down by Schotty all the time. Makes me think that someone like Rex must be football retarded if you can see all this from the T.V. broadcast and he can't even see it from coaches tape.

13. Hobbes3259

Don' take my word for it.

Go back and look at the sports media coverage.
    In Clutch spots the kid comes up big. Almost always.

Factor in the..drops...and hes close to 60% already.

At the end of the day you're left with a disproportionate amount of throws down and out, as opposed to throws that occur inside and in under 4 seconds.

That's not criticism. That's observable fact.

My Contention, where Rex is concerned it that as a former DC, he respects the position of Coordinator more than he should.

In Business terms, he's not effectively managing his managers. He's helping the defensive staff because he can, and the Offensive staff, he trusts in the manner that he himself was trusted as a DC, though they do not merit it.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Very well put, if you have an out of this world OC, you leave him alone because he will get the job done, if you try the same tactic with an average OC he will cost you your job.

15. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You know, going back over your earlier posts about how Rex needs to coach him up, or punch him in the jaw ala Gilbride style, I think this is probably the smartest route. While he frustrates me to no end at times, he is not all bad. But I don't think he's going to get it on his own... somebody needs to apply a boot in his ass to get him opening his eyes to the problem. This is the kinda think that separates a guy with potential like Schott, and a guy like say Belichick, who ends up realizing his potential.

We have seen in the past where a coach has back handed an OC and taken over duties, or done something to remedy the problem. Something.. anything. Right now, other than conversations I am trusting are happening, I don't see anything to show that its being dealt with seriously. Maybe we are seeing Rex's weak point.. maybe its his lack of confidence or knowledge in the offensive game planning? I certainly don't think its his ability to "say it like it is". Maybe they need to institute some kinda similar homeland security color coded offensive gameplan system (like they did for Sanchez) so that they can tell Schotty what to lean toward in different parts of the game. Or give him another assistant and dumb down his duties. As a fan, I realize I don't know a hell of a lot... but it doesn't take a football expert to whiff the stink coming off some of what happens.

It is clear something is going to have to give. They feel he's talented enough to stay, then they better start being talented enough to remedy his shortcomings.

16. Hobbes3259

I asked this on another thread today.

Can you imagine, Parcells on the sideline seeing multiple calls for misdirection losing yardage, and NOT getting in the OC's face?

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he had a bad sequence inside the 5, we lost b/c the D couldn't stop Pitt not b/c of the O. brian has developed a young QB that is on the verge of being a top QB in this league and he has done a very good job overall. I knew when I got back from Pitt everyone would be whining about brian and not about what actually cost us the game

18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I think both the Offense and Defense deserve blame. The problem is that we've been here before too many times with Schotty. Fool me once...

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

What playoff games have we lost b/c of Schotty?

20. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Our last one.