The Official Haloti Ngata as a Jet Fan Club

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by discostu570, Jan 24, 2011.

1. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

The more I think about it, the more things point towards the Jets basing their offseason strategy around signing Haloti Ngata. Rex Ryan has called him a once in a generation player, and his relationship with Ngata puts him in a position to know, not to mention an inside track to signing him. The Ravens certainly will want to keep him, but if he wants out, there isn't much they can do to keep it from happening. Even if they franchise him, I could see the Jets laying down two first rounders to sign him; it'd be the 29th pick this year, and probably a similarly low pick next season. At least one of those picks would probably be an NT anyway.

Kris Jenkins' return next year (likely at a reduced salary to reflect the need to pay a reliable alternative) means the Jets will once again have the interior presence they so obviously lacked against the Steelers, but signing Ngata means the Jets will no longer be at the mercy of Jenkins' busted ACLs. In the short term, having both could give the Jets both an impressive three man rush, and an impenetrable goal line defense. There's no reason the Jets can't have and use both, in fact Jenkins' age and injury history pretty much dictate that the Jets must plan on somebody else being the starter.

However, there are other decisions tied up in this one. There will likely be a lot of pressure on Harris, Edwards, Holmes and Cromartie to take less than star-caliber contracts, but even if some of them do, the Jets would likely have to let one of those guys hit free agency, just to have an opportunity to make Ngata an offer. Edwards, I think, is a safe bet to land a contract, and Harris could be a cheap franchise tag. Beyond that, if you can choose two of three out of Holmes, Cromartie, and Ngata, I think Ngata is the one guy everybody would agree to take.

So, what do other people think? Who would you be willing to let walk in order to sign Ngata, and who would you prefer to keep?

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

you do know that Ngata doesn't play NT, right?

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

for ngata, I guess you would have to lose cro and harris plus a draft pick or 2

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

There is no chance of us getting him. Why don't we just go after Suh as well then? Besides, like MBGreen said, he doesn't even play NT.

5. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

no. we dont need an elite DT. We dont need an elite pass rusher either. we need a great pass rushing OLB.

6. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

He's a once in a generation player, you know. If Haloti Ngata wants to play nose tackle, he'll only be the best god damned nose tackle there is.

7. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Passsssssss RUUUUUUUUSHHHHHHEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR not an ELITE DEFENSIVE TACKLE!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111 THAT = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$X 100000

8. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Ngata & Jenkins might convince Rex to go 4-3 next season. We'd give up 10 rushing yards per game.

9. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

I highly doubt the jets bring in any big names with all the FAs they have. I would LOVE to get him but I would be shocked.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Ngata plays DE in Baltimore's 3-4.

We can't afford Ngata's jockstrap...forget about it.

11. S.HOLMES.10

S.HOLMES.10 Member

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

That would be incredible to have a player like Ngata, but I think Lamar Woodley would be a better guy to target with all things considered. If we're gonna try to make a splash in free agency that is.

13. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

you know how i know its the offseason?

14. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

ngata will be franchised

15. ........

........ Trolls

I am a fan of Haloti Ngata secretly switching lives with Vernon Gholston and sneaking onto the team that way. Should take at least 30 seconds for Baltimore to figure it out.

16. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

You forget, every single player in the NFL is prepared to take minimum wage in order to play for Rex. Even now Peyton Manning is plotting ways of nobbling Clemens just to open up a spot for a free agent QB on Rex's roster.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so this thread is going to root for a player who is never going to reach this team?

Can I start an official Clay Matthews thread then? I really like how he plays.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

you just love his long, flowing blond locks.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This is me responding and saying NO

20. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Ngata would likely be franchised I would think if they can't sign him. It is nice to dream though. I would let cro, Harris, and Ellis all walk to sign him.