I'm Sorry, The Fix Was In: holding penalties not called

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Steelerstone

Steelerstone New Member

That's absolutely absurd and whining!

2. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Yeah, they screwed that up...but it didn't 'cost' the Steelers anything except the CHANCE to run a quick play.

When DeVito and Poija and Smith are all having their jerseys yanked 10 yards from the backfield ref and nothing is called, that's 'control' of a different kind.

3. Jet Setters

Jet Setters New Member

LOL at the Jets running an illegal pick play in their redzone.....

"But,... but it's only those evil Patriots that use them"

4. RevSmitty73

RevSmitty73 Member

Absurd?? Did you watch that game? That is the ONLY Super Bowl, I can ever remember with the announcing team openly questioning and criticizing the officiating crew, both during and after the game. Seattle was penalized 7 times for 70 yards and you were penalized 3 for 20. Seattle had one touchdown called back, and there were three holds and a block in the back on the pass from Randle-El to Ward. Rothlisberger's phantom touchdown, The favorable spot on Townshend's stop of the Seattle FB..etc etc etc etc..

5. Steelerstone

Steelerstone New Member

i know those holding calls are hard to watch, we hate them too! You can watch James Harrison being held on virtually every single play. It's a rule that needs changed!

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Officiating was pretty bad overall last night, and not just against us. I was pissed about a few of the calls, but they ultimately did not cost us the game. As the Steelers fan above pointed out, we got saved from using a timeout when the refs called for that ridiculous measurement.

7. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The 06 Super Bowl was a disgrace. I almost stopped watching football because of that garbage.

8. LukasHenry

LukasHenry Banned

So was the Jets effort in the first half. They put Pitt to sleep

9. Jollygreenjet

Jollygreenjet Moderator

Bottom line here, the Jets can only control what they do, nothing else! The poor tackling, the lack of protection for Sanchez, dropped passes, poor run blocking, etc! Nothing else matters! Stop making excuses that the refs cost us this game. Shit happens every week throughout the NFL, but its still no excuse! If the Jets executed better and took care of their business for 60 minutes, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Even with questionable calls in the second half, we totally blew them away, however that doesnt make up for the poor showing in the first half. The Jets blew their chances with a piss poor performance in the first half, end of story!

10. JetsKickAss

For the umpteenth time: I didn't say the refs cost the Jets the game...the Jets cost the Jets the game.

I said...and will say it again....that it is inexcusable to not have the backfield ref being able to call holding calls in clear daylight when the same guy is calling DEFENSIVE HOLDING ON A RUN PLAY IN THE INTERIOR OF THE LINE in the Ravens game.

Do you think 1 or 2 holding calls on completions on 3rd down wouldn't have been HUGE ?

As for Harrison being held.....by WHO ?? The ball wasn't around him most of the night.

11. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That fumble was not a fumble that is the only thing I take issue with.

If that were Tom, Peyton, or Ben that's ruled incomplete. That was a killer too.

Our offenses both scored 17, and you know the rest. I didn't mention it during the week but I thought the lack of any talk at all was odd. The Jets players and ever more so Rex should've stayed the course that got us here. Talking shit-

In the end it was a good game and I'm proud of how we played in the 2nd half, completely shutting them down. The fact that they went for it on 3rd and 6 shows that their D respected our offense enough to have their offense try and put it away. It just blows that they did.

12. JetsKickAss

Agreed....I was rooting for Pittsburg but you could tell the refs were biased.

Look, the refs are appointed by the Commissioner who is appointed by the owners. The Rooneys have far more clout than Paul Allen. That's your explanation right there....refs are gonna error on the side of Pitt, not overtly but subconsciously, for self-survival reasons.

Goes back to the 1970's.....I remember the Oilers TE (Mike Renfro ?) not getting the TD call and Dan Pastorini being called for a fumble when he was throwing the ball in the 1980 AFC CG.

13. Buffalo Jet

Buffalo Jet New Member

The only call that really got to me was the hit on Sanchez's slide. Other than that the Jets did enough to shoot themselves in the foot in the 1st half that the refs didn't matter much.

14. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

i wont blame the officials for anything except for the first drive. calling hands to the face on cro when his fingers slipped up and touched the facemask was the worst call of the game. or maybe it was another free first down with the announcers going. 'looks like hes at least a foot short'

15. pittguy578

pittguy578 New Member

Do you know how many times James Harrison got held throughout the season and it wasn't called? Do you know how many unnecessary fines the team received this year? There is no conspiracy.

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

He did elbow our QB in the head after he slid.

If it were Tom or Peyton that would've been a 75 yard penalty and the refs would've held Harrison to let the QBs punch him in the face repeatedly.

17. grahamburgher

grahamburgher New Member

How many f'ing blame-the-refs threads do you guys need?? You came out flat and dug a hole that was just too deep. End of story. Glad to see that you have at least one voice of reason in Guinness.

18. JetsKickAss

Fines don't impact the game.

The Steelers OL holds repeatedly....it isn't even something that you need TV analysts to point out with a telestrator....you can see the jerseys being pulled.

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

While I am not going to disagree that there weren't any holds because I did see on a few occasions that there were but we didn't get called for any either and I have a hard time believing that we didn't hold at least on a few occasions.

I take more issue with the guy being stopped a yard short of the marker on the 1st drive and the Steelers being given a 1st down.

I take more issue with Smith being called for a personal foul for running into a WR yet Harrison goes elbow 1st into Sanchez's head while he is on the ground, and Farrior going helmet to helmet on Greene a few plays later.

I take issue with Westerman being hit with a roughing the punter call when his hand made contact with the punter's foot. Is he supposed to pull his hand back while he is in the air? It's not like he left his feet after the ball was kicked. He was centimeters away from blocking that kick. Of course the punter sold the hell out of it but none the less it was a bad call.

I personally hate these rules and wish they would just let guys play but if they are going to be in the rule book they need to call them both ways.

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Yea they missed a bunch of holding calls etc, running into the kicker etc etc etc, but yea, I agree with the bolded statement. My father said the same thing as it happened.

That honestly, to me, was a big factor in this game. If that doesn't happen, we have a better chance of winning, if not actually winning. We shut them out in the 2nd fucking half.

Now don't get me wrong, I am proud and it gave me hope, when we came back, but the D was needed in a crucial stop, and FAILED.