Don't Sack Rothlisberger, instead...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ThunderbirdJet, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Go after the ball.

This guy is indeed a genetic freak. You can get to him, but he is bigger than our DE's, and very tough to tackle.

Would it be crazy to tell our pass rushers to forget about sacking him when they get there, but instead just try to rip the ball away? I understand not every rusher could be in a position to just go after the ball, and hits and sacks are important to say the least, but I'd give up 3 sacks for one fumble.

Remeber Lowery's sack... (or was it Coleman) of Brady, where he almost flipped over the top? That hit does not bring Rothlisberger down. If he was zeroed in on just ripping the ball out, does he avoid almost over running the play? Would going after the ball instead of Rothlisberger work any better?

In other words, go after his arms instead of his body. Hold him up if you can, hook his arms, lock his arms, make him fight to protect the ball instead of breaking a tackle. Don't try to bring him down. Hold his arms, wait for help. Go after the turnover instead of the sack. Just get hold of an arm and don't let go.

I've played some low level football, and I know the NFL is not the same game but I don't think this is a crazy idea. When someone gets your arm, there is little you can do. Players attack the body on the pass rush. Rothlisberger shrugs at least half of his body hits off. Is this a better way to attack him in the pocket?

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I agree. When defenders have gone for the ball he either fumbles, or tucks it back into him and is susceptible to get sacked.

The Jets did a great job of this, but have been unlucky in recovering the fumble.

I think they'll get them this week. They'll have to to win.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Depends on , A: What angle the defender is coming in from , B: If BR sees the would be tackler.

When being hit from the blindside, BR tends to be at his most vulnerable (Which QB isn't?) and coughs the ball up.
    The other situation I would like to see is gang-sacks, like the one that was put on Flacco.

Constant pressure, hurries and hits will wear him down.
    I would remind the D with an old boxing saying, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall"

4. ThunderbirdJet

Rothlisberger is very good at ducking under high tackles, even when he see them coming. If a player aims at the hips, he is usually within reach of an arm or an elbow. Pass rushers almost always go high when they have a free run. That is a mistake against Roths.

I'm suggesting tying him up, getting an arm instead, when our pass rushers get a free run.

I don't think Rothlisberger can be worn down. A few weeks ago Ngata broke his nose, and I think he only missed one play and played the entire second half. Rothlisberger may fall harder, but he's like a weeble. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down, they jump right back up.

I'd put more of a premium on trying to strip him, going after his arms rather than giving him big hits. Big hits just don't phase him.

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thats the point I'm making , IF he sees/feels the sack/tackle coming in, hes very good, like you say at avoiding or wrestling away. But IF he doesn't hes as vulnerable as any other QB.
    So let him focus on a fast pass rush, from say Coleman and force up into the pocket or slide to his right, Ellis?
    Last season we had double blitzs with DBs (Leonhard, Dig) that worked well.

Yeah, hes as tough as old boots, but this boxing match is going to go the distance, and in this case the jab is whats needed. I believe he can be worn down.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

good point. Pettine mentioned throttling down when you get to Ben, suggesting you can't blow through him, you've got to wrap up, which will hopefully prevent any of those "had him in our grasp and he got away" moments. I do know that his propensity to hold onto the ball THROUGH contact is a recipe for fumbles and strip sacks that has yet to be fully exploited.

Personally, I'm hoping to see us run through the pump fake. Ben is 6'5", there's just no way you're going to bat that down, so run through the pump fake, and you'll end up at the QB when he's only got one hand on the ball.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

We've heard this from several Jets players/coaches this week. Makes sense.

8. ThunderbirdJet

Gus, like you said, blind side hits are the ones where you just blast him and bring the arms down hard on his arms, something every QB simply cannot handle. Those don't come often, regardless of scheme.

This is a technique question, for the "other than blind side hits". If I have a run at BR and he sees me coming, I would forget about hitting his body, and just go after the ball. Go after his arms. If you can hook his elbow inside of yours, that guy is going nowhere. You won't bring him down, but you will stop him from escaping. Then you can go after the other arm or wait for help to strip the ball. If you have him by one arm, he can't run, he can't throw and he can't protect the ball very well.

It's a different mindset for the pass rusher. Ball first, tackle/sack second.

9. BScottFTW

BScottFTW Banned

I'd say that the most success teams have had against him in the past is where they have gotten to him and hit him. I hate to say it, because we don't want to see players get injured, but the guy has had multiple concussions. He's vulnerable to making mistakes after getting beat on. Especially if he's hurt and thinks he should stay in the game.

10. SuperBowlTeam

SuperBowlTeam New Member

he's really hard to bring down

11. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

Bart Scott knows how.

12. ThunderbirdJet

I dunno. Rothlisberger has his nose broken in week 14 against the Ravens on his first series, still he threw for over 250 yards also on a broken foot. He threw a TD pass very late in that game to win it. I just don't think the answer lies in hitting him and trying to wear him down. Go after the freakin ball. He'll stand back there forever.

The Ravens sacked him 5 times last week and lost. Get the ball, not Roths.

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

I think the Jets will blitz Roethlisberger often.
    Roethlisberger likes to hold onto the ball for a long time and give his receivers time to get open.
    The Jets D-Backs can cover the Steelers receivers better than most teams.

IMO, all the talk about how big Ben is and how hard he is to bring down is just a smokescreen. I think the Jets will go after him.
    :metal:

14. BScottFTW

BScottFTW Banned

Maybe get him drunk and tempt him with women before the game. It could be like when Barrett Robbins from the Raiders went to Mexico the night before the SB.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Im in agreement on the idea of tying up his throwing arm. If you can lock on to his right elbow, he can't beat you. One of two things happen, either he fumbles the ball, or he gets sacked. Win Win for the Jets.

Also I agree with the don't fall for the pump fake thing with Ben, keep your feet driving, and focus all of your energy on hitting that right arm however possible.

I can feel it. we are 36 hours away from heading for the SB.

16. jaguarthecarnotateam

i absolutely agree and hope that this concept was drilled into the D's mindset this week. BR is a freak of nature and the most g-damnd frustrating players to defend i've seen in a long time (goin back to Daryl Lamonica and his happy feet). no Missed tackles and not fallin for the pump fake can be the difference maker against these Stillers.

His ability to extend the play is sickening as your watching tv and the seconds just keep accruing knowing he's got ability to deliver downfield. He's the final Goliath we gotta slay---then i say fck Cutler-----Rodgers is good and if we have the honor to play with the legendary Pack, I say bring it on-----at least he's not 300 pounds.

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see if Coleman is used as a blitzer tomorrow. I can't see Coleman taking down Big Ben, or being anything more than a nuisance, unless he has a free lane and catches him completely off-guard. But, if he can get him to step into the path of Ellis, that would be enough.

18. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Dig deeper.

19. popcola

popcola New Member

Did'nt Suggs try that in the reg season?How'd that work out.They just have to make solid tackles,and not try to get on ESPN with a kill shot.

20. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Go for the legs, Big ben will fall on his ass.