Jets-Steelers AFC Championship discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vorrecht, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

One was 43 the other was 47. After he missed the 47, Big Ben was picked off and that's when they attempted the 43 yarder and missed.

It was an upsetting game for sure but I highly doubt we would have beaten New England the next week. Who knows what could have been tho?

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I like our chances in a close game vs. the Steelers. Especially now with the mettle this team has shown. We're Road Warriors and there's no denying that this is a extremely dangerous road team.

3. lillloyd

lillloyd New Member

LOL that's more like it!

However I think trash talk has about the same impact as the historical record between teams...that is, zero.

4. rdowns

rdowns Member

I just took a huge dump. Wiped my ass with a Terrible Towel.

CANT WAIT

5. rholt168

rholt168 Active Member

Ian Begley

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Antonio Cromartie knows the perfect way to stop Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward from throwing a blindside block Sunday in the AFC Championship Game.

"Just tell [him] if he do it again you're gonna kick his ass," Cromartie said Friday afternoon.

Ward has developed a reputation because of his penchant for hitting opponents who aren't looking in his direction. Some Jets on Friday called his play "dirty" and "cheap."

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the Jets refer to Ward as "the toughest player in the league, when no one's looking."

[+] EnlargeHines Ward
    Rick Stewart/Getty ImagesBlocking when meeting your opponent face to face? No problem. But some Jets say Hines Ward drills foes when they aren't looking.

"We're going to deal with him early so he knows what type of game it's going to be, and that none of that stuff is being tolerated," Jets safety James Ihedigbo said.

Like a tone-setting hit?

"Hell yeah," the safety said.

Safety Eric Smith hesitated to say what would happen if Ward serves up any cheap shots on Sunday. Why? Because Smith is worried such words might incur a fine from the league.

"If I finish what I said and then do what I planned on doing, I'm going to get fined," Smith said.

Smith said Ward took some cheap shots at the Baltimore Ravens last Saturday in the Steelers' divisional round victory.

"We saw some of those plays, like in the Ravens game, he's out there hitting Dawan Landry in the back, he came across and hit Ray Lewis in the back," Smith said. "Ed Reed was 30 yards downfield and he's going down and hitting him. It's just unnecessary things like that that make you mad as a defender."

Prior to the 2009 season, the NFL implemented a rule stating that a 15-yard penalty would be assessed if a player delivers a blindside block to the head of a defender using his helmet, forearm or shoulder. The new statute was commonly referred to as the "Hines Ward Rule."

"If you hit a guy like that, when he's looking at you and it's face to face then I'll be like, 'Hey, he's a pretty tough player,'" Ihedigbo said. "But if you hit someone in their back when they're pursuing a play or they're not even looking, that's a cheap shot."

The Jets coaching staff put together a video of Ward's hits prior to the Week 15 road win over the Steelers to alert defensive players.

"That makes you mad when you see stuff like that," Smith said.

Cromartie said that he doesn't really care if Ward hits opponents with blindside blocks -- as long as he can hit back.

"I really don't care. You smash him in the mouth, he's going to smash back, whatever," Cromartie said. "Does he do it while you're not looking? Yeah, he does. But who doesn't?"

The Jets corner allowed that Ward's hits "can be" dirty. When such hits occur, Cromartie suggests that players "grab [him] by the throat and choke [him]."

Friday evening on SNY's "Loud Mouths," Cromartie said Ward is not "man enough" to hit players while they are looking.

At least one Jet respects Ward: Rex Ryan. During Ryan's 10-year tenure on the Ravens' coaching staff, he accounted for Ward and the Steelers in game plans, so he is well-aware of Ward's reputation.

"He'll look for you now. If he can hit you, he's going to. And I've seen him knock out a ton of guys before," Ryan said. "Let's face it, they changed a rule [for] Hines Ward about hitting a defenseless player and all that kind of stuff.

"But, quite honestly, he's just finishing plays and there was no rule [before]. So he went out and he plays hard and he plays to the whistle. And that's the kind of guy he is. I respect the heck out of Hines Ward."

6. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

I am glad the Jets are finally talking trash. We know players like Ward and Harrison are dirty. So, address it, and if they try shit, lay them the fuck out.

If Ward blindsides someone, kick his ass at the line, and when he catches a ball, go headhunting.

If Harrison does the same, just have one of the O-lineman kindly beat the shit out of him (since he wont get to Sanchez like he didn't in week 15).

The Jets are the better team, so they should set the tone, and let the Steelers know their cheap shit wont fly.

7. stanner

stanner Member

I'm worried we will be looking to knock ward out to set the tone, while wallace is 40 yards down field catching passes.

8. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

He wont be. Revis is going to be on him most likely.

9. stanner

stanner Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for ihedigbo knocking the shit out of him, I just hope it's not 10 to nothing and we're still focused on it. Let's win the game, if ward suffers some blow back for his crap, awesome.

10. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Do you really think the Jets are that undisciplined?

11. SuperBowlTeam

SuperBowlTeam New Member

Steelers 24 Jets 20

12. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Was just thinking it'll be funny if he gets flagged. Squealer fans will whine about it for years, even when it's right on camera.

13. stanner

stanner Member

Do you think they are the most disciplined team?

I didn't say it was going to happen, just that I hope it doesn't.

14. SuperBowlTeam

SuperBowlTeam New Member

The Steelers are gonna kick the jets ass, are you kidding me, they are a real team

15. stanner

stanner Member

Yeah! Trash talk em effers!!1!

16. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Thank you Nostradumbass.

17. kredik

kredik New Member

enjoy this win but i cant wait

18. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

Listening to the radio, steeler fans dismissing our win in dec as lucky and thier win against balt as dominating. Really!!!! I can't wait for the win so we can send steeler nation crying back to thier double wides.

19. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

As opposed to the Pats and Colts, which are fake teams, right?

I honestly think that Steeler fans have to talk a big game because they know that they are not the best team that will be on the field tomorrow. So, they are hoping that the tough talk will pay off.

20. BiG CHoPz

BiG CHoPz Member

Oh, wow. Here i am thinking they were a fake team this entire time. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I'm worried...