What is the biggest bandwagon franchise in the NFL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjet0912, Jan 20, 2011.

?

Biggest Bandwagon team

1. Cowboys

107 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Packers

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Steelers

37 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Patriots

149 vote(s)
    48.4%
  5. Other

10 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

Ever stop to think maybe the Steelers have so many fans because of the fact they haven't had more than two consecutive losing seasons in a very long time?

The Steelers are the Yankees of the NFL. Only they have a salary cap. You either love em because of their success or hate them because of it.

2. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Or respect the franchise for what its achieved and hate their fans with an extreme prejudice.
    :steelers::steelers:

3. Brick

Brick Member

I am disappointed with the results of this poll and, while I can't believe I'm doing this, I will say something in defense of Patriots fans:

Their team went 7 seasons without a playoff appearance in the late 80s/early 90s including a one and a two win season. SOME of them, had paid their dues.

The Steelers have not had a season under 5 wins since the merger.

#43 Brick, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. Brick

Brick Member

Yes, and my example of the Steeler bar in North Carolina shows that when things get bad, they bolt.

If you're making the argument that if a team is good all of the time that they can't have bandwagoning fans, I disagree. It just takes a lot less failure to empty the bandwagon. Last season is a prime example.

Pittsburgh delenda est.

5. Steeler Tim

Steeler Tim New Member

I think it's funny talking about bandwagon fans. Someone can give an example of a Steeler bar being empty after they lose a few games and I can give an example of over 5000 members of the Steeler fanclub in Baltimore traveling to San Diego to see the Steelers play. About half made the trip without even having tickets although I know of none that didn't get in to see the game.

The thing about talking bandwagon fans is you will never know. There aren't any statistics for this. Hell, I'll bet most would argue over the definition of a bandwagon fan. I'd think the percentage of bandwagon fans for most teams that have had at least some success is about the same. Successful franchises might have more total bandwagon fans but that is because they will have more fans period. The percentage will remain about the same. The reverse is true for the perennial losers. Less bandwagon fans but also less total fans. Still with the same percentage.

Of course I will never be able to prove my theory just like nobody else will be able to prove theirs.

#45 Steeler Tim, Jan 20, 2011
  6. Pick6Revis

Pick6Revis New Member

I didn't know a single Pats fan Pre 01 and that included 2 runs to the Super Bowl

I can respect Steeler Fans, I remember a Jets Steelers game in 03 when both teams were no good in the Snow there was bunch of Steeler fans at the Meadowlands, cheering for them in a meaningless Dec game

Curtis ran for like 170 in that game

7. Brick

Brick Member

I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying. I have my opinion, based on my own experiences. Given the fact that I am an outsider fan living in Pittsburgh and have been to a number of Steeler bars in other states (because often they're the only place to watch out of town games), I think I have some insight into this topic.

You know what would prove whether or not Steeler fans are the biggest bandwagoners?

A 3-13 season. Or, at the very least, a 2-8 start.

I bet bars in this town would lose a ton of business. I bet a dozen or more would go under. I'm confident that this would happen because the younger generation of Steeler fans who goes out to watch the games has NEVER experienced a truly bad team. I'm not saying I want that economic effect directly to happen (I like the CITY of Pittsburgh), but I hope I live in Pittsburgh long enough to see a truly bad Steeler team one way or the other.

#47 Brick, Jan 20, 2011
  8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

lol and the Patriots fans that were "fans" before 2001 were left over banwagoners from super bowl 31. 99% of Pat fans are all fake and frauds. They know it to and when you bring it up they get mad.

Haha and this guy at the bank today tried accusing me of being a banwagoner. Hes like "so when did you buy that jacket ?" i was like umm like 2 years ago and hes like "you sure? ive been seeing alota green lately, that jacket looks brand new like you bought it yesterday" the fag was wearing a red sox hoodie.

#48 soxxx, Jan 20, 2011
  9. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

It's already happening.

10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I've never really understood why anyone cares about this - it isn't any great achievement to be proud of to be a fan of a sports team, whether it's for a day or for decades. I've chosen to be loyal to the teams I've rooted for for 45 years because I want to, but it's not like being loyal to your family or friends. I mean, really - why care?

Anyway, you'd better be careful - if the Jets actually do what all of us longtime fans are hoping for, there will suddenly be loads of bandwagon fans wearing Jets gear (as was pointed out earlier about all of the newly-minted Saints fans). What then?

Edit: I will give one caveat on my "who cares" thing - I will admit that it is nice when friends who know I've been a longtime fan of a team are happy for me when the team is successful, because they know I care. I don't really view that as me being "rewarded" for my true fandom, however, but rather just people who care about me being happy for me.

#50 statjeff22, Jan 20, 2011
  11. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

This^^^^^^^^

12. gammatec

gammatec Member

Here in Southern California, its the Raiders. They attract all of the low life bandwagoners/thugs.

13. Coastal Steeler

Amen Steel. Rough at times but I been hanging with them for 50+ years

14. Coastal Steeler

Guess you haven't been in the Steel City Grille in Jacksonville. Newley opened and the guy had to buy the attached store so they can knock the wall out for next year

15. Coastal Steeler

Really isn't too many bandwagoneers that are Steeler fans. The ones I meet know what's what

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Going with the Cowboys. Knew tons of Cowboys fans when I grew up in NJ, and I know tons in Florida.

The annoying common element among all of them......they've never even been to Texas. How does that happen? I understand it happens on occassion, but to the extent of the crazy amount of Cowboys fans? Seems like it would be a natural to be a fan of your local team.

17. Malekanoms

Malekanoms New Member

I'd say its more a generational thing. Younger generation on the Patriots bandwagon, but I know a lot of old timers from back in the day who are Cowboys fans and love to talk about the "America's team" days.

18. steves850

steves850 Active Member

[​IMG]

19. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Hate the Pats fans the most, but the definitive answer here HAS to be the boyz.

20. Brick

Brick Member

Notice they didn't plan to knock out the wall at the end of LAST season! That 9-7 record must have been so very tough to deal with for dedicated Steeler fans who stick with the team through thick and "thin"!

Again, how's it been rough? Did the multitude of success since not make up for the bad seasons when you were a little kid? Hard to come up with new ways to mock Browns fans and their unfortunate teams? Difficult to find a new way to insult Cincinnati? Was the year that the Ravens won the Super Bowl so traumatic that you just couldn't stand to live anymore?

CAN'T WAIT

For Sunday's game...

and for the 3-13 season that would purge the Steeler Nation of the many unfaithful that would dump Black & Gold in an instant when they truly suck.