Lose This Week, and Pats Game Means Nothing?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ThunderbirdJet, Jan 19, 2011.

1. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

It is if you keep making the AFCCG and getting beaten. You want to be the Pats or Steelers of the 2000's, not the Eagles.

But the win will mean nothing because it has no impact on next year. Just like 45-3 meant nothing last Sunday, 28-21 wont make a bit of difference come Monday Night next September when the Jets and Pats inevitably meet again. So, if the Jets lose, what does the win mean? Nothing. It will have no impact on next season's game against the Pats and it will mean nothing when we make the playoffs again because they will have to beat teams like the Pats, Colts and Steelers again.

When you have chances like this, you cant blow them. This is a lot like 1998 in that the opponent in the SB will not be a great team. So, if the Jets fail to beat the Steelers, the Pats game will mean nothing.

2. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

And in my opinion the Patriots will never raise the Lombardi again now that they aren't cheating. 3 straight playoff defeats. That has to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

you do know if we win....the shit sandwich taste in New England's collective mouth will emanate for seasons to come.

See, i can play this game too.

4. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

For a while I felt the NFC was vastly inferior, but the Packers look like a legit threat. Of course they still could lose to Chicago this week.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Packers are definitely good but I personally think that the Jets or Steelers should be favored in a game against them right now.

6. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

It kinda depends how it plays out.

If the Jets get blown out by Pittsburgh, then that diminishes the NE win. However, if we lose in an overtime thriller, then all it really says is that we went on a great run against some of the best teams/players on the road and came up just a little short. I see that as a huge positive.

Also, you need to look at it from different time perspectives. In the near term, the NE game becomes forgotten. However, given some time, I expect that it will be viewed as one of the very best wins in team history. But that will only be in the eyes/hearts of Jet fans. No one else will recognize it as anything significant.

Let's win this game though and put this debate to bed.

7. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I think it was the second biggest Jets win of all time. We were big time underdogs. What was the final line, 9 1/2? We have been OWNED by NE at home. Instead we dominated them. Of course it gets bigger and better if we go all the way, But it will remain in my memory as a great game forever. It seems that some people just can't wrap their heads around that.

There are some other games I cherish. They still have meaning for me. Great moments and great games are what they are... great... and memorable.

When Bobby Thompson hit the shot heard 'round the world... that wasn't the world series, but is remembered today as a game of imfamy. More famous than most word series are, and it's decades later. How many people even know if the Giants won the WS that year? I'm not comparing this win to Thompson's dramatic HR but for Jets fans it should always be remember as one of our sweetest victories.

It might even become an historical turning point. Brady is 36. Hasn't won a playoff game in 3 years. Handing off of the baton?

8. ........

........ Trolls

Brady's not 36. He's 33. He's still got more than a few years if he wants them. I don't think he plays as long as Favre, but I think we'll see another run or two as the team reloads.

This game sure as hell matters. It matters whether we win this week or not. We haven't won a season series against the Pats in how long? 2-1 this year, and a dominant performance on the road in the playoffs. Nobody wants it to end here, like you said, but if it does, that win is still as meaningful as anything that has come before in the last 40 years, and will stay that way until we finally do reach that Super Bowl.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'm a big believer that the NFL is very cosmic. Brady has had his time and his dynasty. Its time for new QBs to come in and win.

I think Sanchez is one of them.

Last year I said any win after Cincy was gravy. This year, as big as this win was, its time to keep going.

10. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I thought I read that... maybe I got it confused with Manning. Thanks for getting what I was trying to say in the first place. I hardly meant that our destination had been reached.

I am going to enjoy EVERY single game, every single dip and curve on this roller coaster ride to the MAX. Whatever happens, nothing will change the way I felt this week. I'm still soaking it up, watching Pats fans writhe around on FF message boards, savoring every minute of it. They are such classless losers, just like Dion Branch... I'm having a blast!

11. ........

........ Trolls

People are just sensitive this week. If there are people worried the team is too satisfied with the Pats win, they're sure going to be worried that fans are too satisfied. Everyone on here wants a win this week. Good to know someone else is still enjoying last Sunday while our team moves on and focuses for the trip to Heinz Field. :up:

12. Steeltown

Steeltown New Member

Sounds to me like you are willing to settle. Beating the Patriots was your personal Super Bowl. Hopefully you get used to beating the Pats and you can move on. I know Coach Ryan is looking ahead to Sunday, or the Jets are in big trouble.
    Winning is never a waste. I don't know what kind of mindset invents such concepts.

13. JustBlaze330

JustBlaze330 New Member

Hmm let's see. Sanchez. Keller. Cotch. Holmes, Edwards. Greene, Lt McKnight.Smith. Those are all of te jets weapons offensively. Steelers side I see ward, their running back tandum, Wallace.. Easy options to shut down but it is much closer on the defensive side of the ball.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It will mean a lot less to me than it does now if the Jets don't go all the way, but that's pretty much how a loss to end your bid taints every win that the team had to get to that point.

It will hurt probably more than last year, when the Jets really had no business going that far given the situation they had. Now they have beaten Brady and Manning - and could beat the likes of Roethlisberger and Rodgers - the get to the ultimate goal. That path to a Super Bowl could not be debated by rival fans. To beat the utter best in the league to win it all. This is the dream scenario of what I would imagine most people would choose for their team to win it all. On the road against the best. No excuses.

Should the Jets lose this week, the Patriots game will still be very special, but I don't want the last win of the season the be against the Patriots. I only want them to be a step toward greatness.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey man, your uniforms are pretty and stuff, but we're not talking about has-been teams that are typically one-and-done in the playoffs every year, if they make it. We're talking about teams that are still playing, and not licking their wounds at home, in defeat.

16. Angel

Angel Member

The way the Jets dominated and humiliated the Cheaters and their fans in NE was Huge!!! Shutting down Brady, making him look dumbfounded and defeated was Priceless, best damn game all season!!

17. RevSmitty73

RevSmitty73 Member

All I know

is I am 40 years old and have never seen my team in a Super Bowl, let alone win one. I WANT THIS ONE....:jets:

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Philadelphia agrees :shit:

19. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Superbowl is the only win that matters at this point.

20. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Kay is a half-ass alternative to listening to Fatty. I lost respect for Kay when, he once said, Billy Joel was much better than the Who.