Jets-Steelers AFC Championship discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vorrecht, Jan 16, 2011.

1. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Since when is this a vaunted Pittsburgh Steelers offense? Look at the team statistics for this year. The Steelers are 12th-14th in every major offensive stat, and yes, that includes rushing. The Jets just shut down the league's top passing and scoring offense, New England, and held them to 14 (7 more garbage time) points. I can't see Pittsburgh scoring 17 points, without the help of a special teams or defensive score.

2. SteelCurtain96

SteelCurtain96 Active Member

Easy killer....I was mixing you up with someone else who had a little feud with me in the past. My apologies.

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

So you think the 2010 Steelers are better than the 2009 Colts because the Steelers have stopped the Colts in the past and because the Colts lost the Super Bowl? Weak arguments.

How about the fact the Colts probably would have gone UNDEFEATED had they not benched players? And even then, they went 14-2, better than the Steelers 12-4 this year.

The Colts also had the 8th ranked defense last year (PPG) so they were no slouches on that side of the ball. And I'm not sure you could even potentially argue the Colts offense last year isn't better than the Steelers offense this year.

4. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Steelers are a very good team. Their offense isn't like the Pats they have Wallace as a deep threat. And its going to a foot race with Cro covering I assume. The Jets picked up the Steelers blitzes well last time.

I think the Steelers O-Line and their Corners are their weakness

5. SteelCurtain96

The Steelers overall offensive numbers are down because they were without their quarterback for four games.

Roethlisberger threw for 3200 yards in 12 games. That averages out to 266 yards per game.

So even if he had four more "Average games" during the regular season he still would have had almost 4300 passing yards. There were some pretty brutal offensive days from the Steelers in those first four games.

6. SteelCurtain96

We won't know until the Super Bowl if this Steeler team is good enough to win it all. If they do..then they are better than the 2009 Colts.

I'm still convinced YOU guys were better than the Colts last year.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I am not one to troll another teams boards but I do like to go read some to get some insight to the other team from fans and also some laughs.

It is amazing the overconfidence and complete lack of respect most are showing towards the Jets. It is eerily similar to Pats fans thinking their team is vastly superior. Most do not see it being a game.

I will not disrespect the Steelers because they are a really, really good football team but I think the Jets overall are slightly better. With the opening line in Vegas Steelers -3 , the odds makers also see this as a toss up (3 points for HF)

Defensively the Steelers are #2 overall the Jets are #3 - The Steelers have the edge against the run #1 to the Jets #3 but the Jets have the edge in Pass defense. The Steelers #1 ranking in yards against rushing is pretty substantial to the #3 Jets. But as much grief as we Jet fans have give the D - they held opposing teams to a 50.7 completion % the leagues best by a nice margin compared to Steelers 62.7 and overall the Jets pass D is better than the Steelers.

On offense the Jets rushing attack is statistically better than the Steelers in yards per game and yards per attempts. This is very close - I give a slight edge to the Jets but because of the Steelers better rushing D - the overall running game for both is a wash.

I have not hate for the black and gold and actually like them. Some might call me crazy but I see a lot of Big Ben in Sanchez. He is a leader, is tough to get down, and can make a play when out of the pocket. He knows how to get it done in the fourth quarter in crunch time. The biggest difference is in completion percentage (accuracy) where Mark needs to improve - but I do not think the QB edge in this game is as great as many will lead you to believe. Steelers have the clear edge in QB, a small edge at TE but the Jets have the edge in O-line, RB's and WR.

What really tips the scales for the Jets is Special Teams and O-line- it is pretty much indisputable that the Jets have the edge here.

8. SteelCurtain96

It was the difference in the earlier game this season. No denying it.

Win or lose I am proud of what the team accomplished this year, because no one expected us to even make the playoffs before the season began. Not with Big Ben out.

A lot of young guys have stepped up big this year. The future is still very bright no matter what. Same with you guys. I have a strong hunch this isn't our last playoff meeting for the forseeable future.

9. Steelerstone

Steelerstone New Member

It's about balance! The Jets average roughly 5 yards more offense per game than the Steelers, and score slightly less points per game than the Steelers per game. The Steelers give up roughly 15 yards less per game, and 6 points less per game than the Jets. To think there is distinct advantage to the Jets is silly.

As far as yesterday........on any given Sunday!

10. Stairway2seven

Should the steelers even show up. From the sound of alot of you Steelers have no chance.

You realize Ben is completely different from brady and manning, he escapes pressure and will pick you apart.

Our defense is superior to the pats and we will be eating Sanchez for lunch.

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

which of course is why you guys beat us in week 15.

oh wait...

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Really??? The only no chance type of posts in this thread are coming from a couple of Steelers fans (Not most).

These teams are really close and the game can go either way anyone who thinks otherwise is blind. But as pointed out the Jets held opposing QB's to a 50% completion % and led the league I believe in 3 and outs which is why I highly doubt that Ben will "pick us apart" or that your D will eat "Sanchez for lunch". Steelers may very well win this one but I wouldn't underestimate this Jets team because you may be sorely disappointed.

#152 Section 336, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Near year, different line.

Last year the SD fans were like oh our WR are so tall you can't cover them!

well guess what!

This year its because the pitt receivers are too fast!

hah I laugh at that. Revis is a beast, he is the best corner in the league, and has the potential to be the best cover corner in the history of the game.

Mike Wallace may well be the fastest man on the field sunday, but guess what? it takes more than straight line speed to beat Darelle Revis.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Pretty much how I feel as well.

If the Jets can manage to get the out-of-nowhere pass rush that they have shown against the Colts/Pats and get to Ben, we should be in great shape.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Why are we comparing last year's Colts to this year's Steelers as though our team hasn't changed? We have a much more talented team now than we did last year. An extra year for Sanchez, an improved receiving corps, an improved secondary, even an improved Drew Coleman.

This is a tough game for very different reasons than last year's AFCC was a tough game. With Polamalu back, we'll have struggles against that Pitt D. We don't have the breadth of weapons to deal with that last year's Colts (and yesterday's Pats) brought, but we're also facing a QB unafraid to pull it down and "run", the lack of which yesterday was a big plus on those long unpressured passing downs.

It'll be a tough game. I think we win, I feel better about it than last week or last year, but it's going to be a new challenge with a new gameplan from Rex.

16. Stairway2seven

First meeting steelers dominated and if not for Arians trying to throw to a 3rd string te OVER AND OVER. We win and your not even in the playoffs.

17. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Just noticed they are showing the replay of the last Jets-Pit game on NFLN tonight, so the Steelers fans can sharpen their excuses, while trying to make feet jokes.

18. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Any translators here? I think he's trying to say he was home schooled...

19. IATA

IATA Trolls

What? Like the first game we ever played? Because week 15 was not even remotly what you're claiming

20. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

The Steelers defense should give the Jets offense much more trouble then either the Colts or Patriots defense. I think any Jets fan would know that. Running yards will be hard to come by and Sanchez will probably need to make some plays. He certainly can but again, the Pittsburgh D is better. I think the key is how much protection and time the Jets can give him. That will be the challenge imo. Their cornerbacks are good but a little on the slow side. Polamalu is really good all over the field and cover up those kind of weaknesses but I think they could be exploited given the time.

The Steeler offense has a lot of talented players but the Jets defense is playing well now. I think Rothlesberger is really good at ad hoc plays and can throw the deep bowl accurately. If the Jets can contain him and/or take him down, they have a good shot. If not, he could easily burn you.

I think it's going to be a close game with the winner making a key play or turnover at the right time.

#160 PatsFan2003, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011