Jets-Steelers AFC Championship discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Vorrecht, Jan 16, 2011.

1. NYJ55NJ

NYJ55NJ New Member

making the 6 hour drive all the way up from here in Michigan to see them get to the super bowl!! :jets:

2. HOI

HOI Active Member

we'll soon add you to the

"Where the fuck are you on Monday?"

list. Its presently full of Colts and Pats trolls. By the way we already beat the rapist once this year.

3. SteelCurtain

SteelCurtain New Member

Good stuff....lol

4. CanadaJet

CanadaJet New Member

I don't know where else to post this because I can not start a new thread (new and less than 50 posts) but a heads up to everybody that the NFLN is playing Jets/Pats game at 9:15 p.m. Tuesday night on NFL Replay for those wanting to relive the nostalgia!!

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Can actually beat the Patriots ever - Advantage Jets

haha...nice

6. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Two big questions I think the Jets/Steelers game will revolve around.

1) How healthy is Troy? He didn't seem to be 100% during the Ravens game. However, the Jets/Steelers is one more week for Troy to recuperate.

2) What's the injury status on Steeler's O-Line? By the ending of the Ravens game, I think they had no more tackles to bring into the game if in case of injury. How many healthy O-Lineman will they have.

===
    I'm thinking the Steelers & Jets will be able to generate qb pressure. Steelers because they've got some monsters in the front seven & Jets because of Steeler O-Line injuries.

Ben is totally different than most other qb. The Jets can slap him around & pound him into the ground but still won't panic & start throwing balls early.

Unless there's turnovers, I'm expecting winning team to have less than 20 points.

#86 ajax, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. Funtime

Funtime Banned

http : //i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee282/matthewfuntime/FunBlog%20Imagery/JETSposter.jpg

can't post pics yet... this is a Jet movie poster parody

8. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Agreed... most of our success rests on our OL... but that's a good thing because I have the utmost confidence in those big fat guys...

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

[​IMG]

10. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

You are right in a way. We just won the game everyone on the planet said we never should have stood a chance in. You seem to assume that we are now happy and that we can go home happy now.

In actuality, the Jets are going to be playing at an all-time confidence high going into Pittsburgh. They are going to believe so much in themselves that they are going to roll through a team that is beaten up (although about as healthy as they can ask for) on their way to completing a mission that we have been tasked with 42 years ago.

11. SteelCurtain

SteelCurtain New Member

Troy played to take away Heap and the Ravens short crossing routes which is why you didn't see him much. Raven's were limited to 23 passing yards in the 2nd half so clearly it worked.

the OLine is fine. Scott and Adams came back in the game and finished

12. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I'm actually less confident about this game than the NE game. NE defense was overrated all year due to the fact their offense would get such big leads, forcing opposing QBs to take more chances, leading to turnovers. They weren't the 25th overall defense and 30th against the pass for nothing. Granted, I still think we'll win this game, but lets keep a few things in mind in our W over Pitt.

1) We got 9 points on a kick return TD and safety. Both are rare to begin with, so lets keep in mind if we are going to win we have to put up more points via ground and air attack.

2) We held the Steelers to 17 points (fantastic), however, the Steelers posted over 380 yards of total offense. Defense has got to play better especially against the run. Mendenhall had probably the best day as a RB against the Jets all year (save Forte) with a 5.8 yd/att.

Again, I still think we'll win, but with the two points I made above, plus Troy and Heath Miller coming back, this game will be a dogfight, no doubt about it. Hopefully Rex and Pettine come up with the necessary adjustments, and we can continue to pound the ball offensively. We actually ran pretty effectively against them considering how few carries LT and Greene got (11 and 12 respectively).

Also, looking at the stat box, it might be wise to put Revis on Wallace. Wallace torched Cro and Coleman for 102 yards. On top of that, if I remember correctly, we got away with 1 or 2 PI calls on their receivers. Something that could go against us on Sunday, especially if the refs are flag happy.

Weatherford and Folk better show the fuck up for this game. Everyone knows how tough it is to kick at Heinz Field in January (see Brien, Doug). Field position is instrumental for this game, so Weatherford better get his head out of his ass and pin them inside the 10.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The Steelers defense is predicated on getting pressure but they don't blitz a lot. Our offensive line played a hell of a game last time both run blocking and pass blocking. Their corners are pretty bad but their safeties are pretty good. We should be able to do just enough on offense to win.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Anyone else feel like this Jets team is WAY BETTER than the Jets team in the championship last year? And that our opponent is WAY WORSE than last year's? Also a WAY BETTER matchup? :cool:

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree.

the Colts and Pats were both favorable matchups because they were two teams we could run on, and if the D kept it close we could eventually wear down and dominate time of possession, thus relegating their offense to the sidelines.

Against the Steelers, the game will be close simply because they aren't as explosive, but we certainly won't be able to run and wear down their D, and dominate time of possession. this is going to be a game in which we have a lot of three and outs trying to run the ball unless Sanchez comes up big. we are going to have to pass to win. fortunately, the Steelers are going to have to respect and play the run, so that will help.

I hope the Jets win, and they certainly can, but unlike the Pats and Colts which I though the Jets had a distinct advantage against as long as the D played great, we don't have that advantage. this will be a close game and can go either way, and we certainly aren't primed to win it simply because we beat the Pats or made it to the AFC Championship last year and it is simply our inherent growth process to then win this game.

16. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

This game will come down to two things in my mind:

Putting Roethlisberger on the ground after the first hit. Do not let him escape and turn big losses into big, demoralizing gains, especially on 3rd downs.

Schotty sticking to the run. It won't work early. We're going to have three and outs. But if we continue to pound that rock, in the later portions of both halves we are going to see prolonged success. And pounding the rock will lead to a lot of 1 on 1 coverage on our receivers, and we all know how successful those 3 step-drop slants have been to Braylon and Santonio. We need to have a balanced attack, and not abandon the run, and that will pay dividends.

17. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Add in Mendenhall, who is a much better back than anyone on the Patriots, and QB the size of some DE's and yeah, they have a lot to say about it...

18. JetBlue

Roethlisberger doesn't give a shit about being hit; as the song goes, if you are going to be dumb you better be tough. He's f'ing tough.

and we aren't going to wear down the Steelers D running the ball. that's a tough team that lives in the trenches. all we can hope for is that we run teh ball with enough success that it opens up the passing game.

19. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

we were the most successful team at running the ball on them all season. We need to duplicate that success if not even improving on it.

Sanchez needs to be smart with the ball and we need to get the short passing game going early on.

20. JetBlue

yes, we did, and if we are able to rush for 100 + we will have done great against them compared to how other teams have done, but simply rushing for 100 yards isn't going to equate to the dominating ball control we had against the Colts or our ability to get 4 yards consistently per carry against the Patriots.

the Steelers are built to take away the very strength that dictates the Jets success. that is very scary.