Braylon Edwards has become clutch

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kingfish, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Kingfish

Kingfish Active Member

When Braylon Edwards was in Cleveland and last year with the Jets, he had a bad habit of dropping passes.
    This year he has made some really great catches in big games.

I don't know if his improvement is the result of coaching or just his own maturity, but he has become an important part of the Jets offense and a clutch performer.

I hope I don't jinx him with this post.
    :up:

2. System

System New Member

It's the beard :)

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

His hands were never bad, all his drops were a result of poor concentration imo. I'm glad we were able to get him for a 3rd and 5th round pick because the Browns drafted him with the #3 pick overall in 2005. He's a special talent.

And yeah I noticed he has a much more serious demeanor since the DWI...starting with him shaving that huge beard.

4. WesleyWalker

WesleyWalker New Member

The only thing that ever kept him from being a top receiver in this league was his hands...seems as if he has really cleaned that up and is the PERFECT WR for this team going forward. Sanchez loves him and this guy may be the best blocking WR in the sport...something he does not get near enough credit for. I would love to see him stay here long term.

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

His reputation as a pass-dropper was overblown, and anyone who continues to think of him as a pass-dropper obviously doesn't watch the games.

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

He has really developed into a great weapon. Since he got nailed for that DUI his play has really improved. Sometimes weird things get guys going and in his case maybe all the asswipes in the media treating him as if he was the worst person in the history of the league pissed him off because he is a different animal now then he was last year.

About the only dumb thing he has done since week 2 was breaking up that pass for Holmes yesterday which would have been a huge play. I think he ran the wrong route and thought the ball was for him but he redeemed himself with that TD catch dragging two Pro Bowlers into the endzone.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

He did drop alot of passes last season but hes been great this season.

8. SteelCurtain

SteelCurtain New Member

That reputation is very deserving....always has been since his days in Cleveland

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

He dropped 4 passes last year

10. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

its the looming contract negotiations

11. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Maybe, but I think the on field experience of the last couple years especially the playoff run can truly change a player. Players have always said there's nothing like winning in the NFL.

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

BE has been an absolute monster. It seems like whenever the ball goes to him in a big spot, he's coming up big. I find myself wanting Sanchez to look for him more and more.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I hope it's not because he's in a contract year... that does motivate you though...

14. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

I am pretty sure Santonio has help taking the pressure off of him. Defenses have to focus on so many of our targets. That being said he did improve his catching skills and always was a stellar blocker.

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

This is something that doesnt worry me with the Jets. Rex is such a good motivator whether your a rookie a veteran or working for a contract. Has Revis or Mangold or Brick performed any worse after their contracts. Look at vets like JT and Ellis playing their hearts out. As long as Rex is here we will get the best effort out of our players.

16. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Braylon has been an animal since the first Pittsburgh game.

I said it weeks ago, but I really feel we need to find a way to sign Braylon and Santonio

they should be our top priorities, and yes that includes over Harris. Based on everything we are hearing from Braylon, it sounds to me like he will take some less money to stick around. Hopefully Holmes is willing to do so as well but I doubt that much more, especially if we win a ring this year. He will be a 26 year old with 2 rings, and at least 1 MVP. I find it hard to believe he wouldnt go wherever he would get paid the most, but I am holding out hope for some loyalty to Rex and the Jets.

We need both guys back in order to replicate our success of this season.

17. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

I misread the title of this thread as "Braylon Edwards has become dutch".

18. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

We have to give him props on his work ethic. Edwards has improved so much from last year. And there was no way he was going to be stopped on that td. Edwards always has the upper hand on the one on one match ups. Brother can jump.

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Big Drops... Most of them were TD's. Either way he's been great this year, Thats all that matters.

20. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

He lead the league in drops in 2008. It was semi over blown because some of the drops were in big spots and he had a QB carousel there as well.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2008&range=NFL&type=Receiving&rank=232

He has 2 drops this year.

QFT

Jerricho Droppery is tied for 7th in the league for drops in 2010. Santonio & Edwards aren't on the list. And this from a player who has been clutch since he started. Jerricho gets a pass from me this year.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232