Eric Smith appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Clown, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Clown

Clown New Member

When you see a safety KNOCK the paint off of a receivers helmet... you know they will have a good game. Cheers to you Eric Smith!

I was skeptical when smith came in during the colts game, but since then he has really clicked with the defense and makes the middle of the field a life threatening place to be in.

Many times during the Pats game i saw him level people out.. even on special teams! Him and pool are looking real good right now, and he really fits the system really well now.

I see why the jets really love these "physical" safeties... with all the man to man coverage the jets play. they dont really need both safeties to play cover 2 over the top coverage. They can focus at least one safety to play in the box and be extremely disruptive, in both run and importantly mid field pass coverage.

Eric smith looked like that type of guy in the past few games, I hope it continues.

2. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

He's stepped up BIG time. He's getting my respect back.

3. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I never lost respect for Smith. He always brings it. He had a big game yesterday. Next week, he'll knock Mendenhall into the next week. Guy has played up as an LB, back as a SS... versatile guy.

4. ultrajet

ultrajet Active Member

They even mentioned, with the exception of the pass interference play during our 45-3 loss, he has really played well. His hits was great and his recovery of the OSK sealed the victory. He also made some greta tackles.

5. blackwaltz7

blackwaltz7 New Member

He's tackling was key in this game, we played fundamental football

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I thought of Bart Scott's career-threatening quote to Welker when Smith tried to decapitate him a couple of times, I was like wow they really are trying to destroy him lol.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Everybody was nervous about smith and he has played great, An Damn the dude hits hard.

Great Job.

8. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

that last hit he landed on welker in which the entire stadium shook was crazy! can't believe welker just popped up as though nobody hit him.

oh well, he is going home, we are kicking ass.

9. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Fantastic game by Smith. Big tackles, big hits, big onside kick recovery.

10. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

He also had the big tackle on the fake punt

11. nycztonee

nycztonee Active Member

he completely disregards his own safety. Smith truly backed up Bart Scott's comment.

he's the exact opposite of Sherry.

12. PoPo

PoPo Member

Loved the way Eric Smith played last night. He was just throwing his body with disregard every hit. He crushed Welker.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The guy played a great game. AWESOME!

14. boshhemi487

boshhemi487 New Member

any video of that hit on Woodhead.

15. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I loved seeing shards of helmet fly off after that hit in the redzone. The dude hits HARD

16. BiG CHoPz

BiG CHoPz Member

One of my fav plays from E. Smith is when he ran up to the line on that fake punt getting ready to truck stick somebody and Chung didn't know what to do and just botched the whole play. Beware of Eric Smith

17. BiG CHoPz

BiG CHoPz Member

That's like when u bust your ass outside and you are so embarrassed you jump back up so fast like nothing happened. Even though you're hurting inside. Lol

18. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

He will likely get fined for that hit, and a penallty wouldn't have had any impact on the game there, but Welker was playing with eyes on the back of his head for the rest of the game.

Note: Smith is one of the most fundamentally sound, hard hitting, legal tacklers in the league. That was one of the few times I have seen him go helmet to helmet where it actually looked intentional.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Eric Smith is playing right now how I had expected him to play early in the season, in rotation with Pool. He's still not a good cover man, and he gets shaken out of his cleats on a passing decent juke, but he was around the ball all night and laid some solid hits. He'll certainly be paying a fine for the Welker hit, maybe the Jets need to give him a bonus?

20. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

He caused that whole play to fall apart by how quickly he got into the back field.