Any Jets Fans in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by MeanGreenCervan007, Jan 15, 2011.

1. MeanGreenCervan007

MeanGreenCervan007 New Member

I'm a big Jets fan working in Pittsburgh for the year looking for others, especially for the game tomorrow against the Pats. Anybody know of any bars/clubs/tailgates/speakeasies/Jets anonymous groups in this area? Love to get some Gang Green action going....

2. Brick

Brick Member

Me. There are a few of us combating the swarm of moronic black and gold that infests this city. The most Jets fans I've seen in one outing is at Buffalo Blues in Shadyside - I think there were 10 of us there for the Texans game. I don't know where I'm going to watch the game tomorrow and am open to suggestions. I live in Oakland.

I am not aware of a Jets bar or any online groups for Jets fans in Pittsburgh. I have tried every week to find them. The swarm, accompanied by a sprinkle of Eagle fans, own this city.

3. MeanGreenCervan007

Buffalo Blues? If 10 is the best we can do for a Texans game I guess it'll have to do. What's the atmosphere like there? I won't be shy about wearing my green out, as I think that most Yinzers will be pulling for the Jets to win as that will give the Stillers home field for the AFC championship game. Any other suggestions?

4. Brick

Brick Member

There are a couple of places in South Side that are worth checking out, but they're all pretty much the same on a regular gameday. Maybe Jets fans will come out of the woodwork tomorrow, but there isn't a "Jets bar." I may create a meetup group or something next season to get one going. I'm thinking Claddagh Irish Pub at the South Side Works may be the best place. From my experience, Irish pubs have better Jets representation.

I'll give you an idea of how Steelers centric the city is - the first MNF game of the season - Jets vs Ravens - I went to Dave & Busters in Waterfront assuming that the game would be on. They didn't even have it on and they wouldn't put it on for me. A nationally televised non-Steeler game against their biggest rival and they wouldn't put it on. I wound up going to Uno across the street and watching it on a 20" TV at their bar. There are a few bars by Heinz Field that don't even have Sunday Ticket because they claim that no one wants to watch anything but the Steelers. From what I hear, the downtown bars are not really great places to go on gameday.

As far as I know, there are two non-Steeler bars in all of Pittsburgh that I've found. There's Peter's Pub in Oakland, which is a Browns bar on gameday and there's an Eagles bar in South Side (I can't remember the name - it sucked - Archie's is much better and the owner is friendly to fans of out of town teams). Buffalo Blues has the best "mix" of fans of any bar I've seen in the area. Mix meaning that 25% of the crowd aren't Steeler fans.

5. Brick

Brick Member

Change of plans for me. I am not going to Buffalo Blues. I am going to Claddagh Irish Pub tomorrow. You are welcome to join me as are any Jets fans in the Burgh who are on TGG.

No surprise - my jersey has #60 Ferguson on it.

I like Buffalo Blues, but the last game I saw there was the Miami game. Both places aren't cheap, but I think Claddagh is a nicer joint.

6. jb944

jb944 Banned

yep pittsburgh is a different world, a real football town. unlike here in ny and nj where there are more fans of outside teams

7. MeanGreenCervan007

Saw the game at a friend's house. The win was just as good! Now that the Jets are coming back to the 'Burgh, where will all the fans going to be? Coming out en masse? Suppressed by the Black and Gold? Tell you what, I've been wearing my colors all year, especially on "Black and Gold Fridays," and everyone thought it was cute that the Jets Fan was trying to be different. I'm sure this week I'll lose a lot of friends......

There has to be a Jets party somewhere this weekend.... Anyone got any leads?

8. Brick

Brick Member

I am going to the game. See the Roll Call thread in Jets Experience.

Best to head near the stadium. Either Mullen's or Finnegan's Wake will be the pre-game destination for me. If you don't want to sit in the cold at the game, you can watch the game at one of those places.

Pittsburgh delenda est.