What went wrong during 45-3

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Right from the start of that Week 13 game you can see that we were going to get killed. There are several factors in to why we were beat 45-3 and were taken out of the game early.

*First, the Patriots offense mixed up personnel packages on nearly every play give our defense different looks. They had a lot of Singleback 2 TEs looks, but didn't show another formation twice during the first two drives. Our defense did not react well to that.

This is their first drive:

1st 10 - Shotgun no backs Trips to the Left pass to Welker for 9
    2nd 1 - Strong I left Benjarvis Green Ellis over RG for 12
    1st 10 - Singleback 3 TEs Benjarvis Green Elllis over LG for 4
    2nd 6 - Shotgun 1 back 3 receivers slot Left D. Woodhead for 7 over RG
    1st 10 - Singleback 2 TEs pass to Branch for 20
    1st 10 - Singleback 2 TEs slot Left pass incomplete
    2nd 10 - Singleback 2 TEs pass incomplete
    3rd 10 - Shotgun 1 back 4 receivers Trips L pass incomplete

Second drive

1st 10 - Singleback 2 TEs B. Green-Ellis for 3 up the middle
    2nd 7 - I formation PA rollout R pass incomplete
    3rd 7 - Shotgun 1 back Trips R pass to Welker for 14
    1st 10 - Singleback 2 TEs B. Green-Ellis for 3 up the middle
    2nd 7 - Singleback 2 TEs pass incomplete PI Penalty on E. Smith
    1st goal - Goaline
    2nd Goal - Goaline

I know there are a lot of Singleback 2 TEs but they varied their formation and personnel packages quite a bit.

*While NE was mixing up their personnel and formations we were not. 11 of the first 13 plays we ran were from the shotgun.

*Sanchez was hit in the head on a helmet to helmet hit early in the game. He did not look recovered from that and was skittish for awhile afterwards

*Rex used a challenge early then went for it on 4th down. Then later in the drive tried a 53 yd FG. One of these plays worked and one did not. Either way we should have been playing a field position game and pinned the Pats deep in their own end. The Patriots would get the ball with great Field Position ALL GAME LONG and capitalized.

*Which leads me to Weatherford's bad punt. Actually this was Weatherford's worst game as a Jet. I have no worries about Weatherford, but his poor play contributed to NE getting great field position.

*Our defense gave up 19 yards to Deion Branch on 3rd and 22 which set up the TD to Branch on 4th and 3. On that play Cromartie did not put a hand on Branch at the LOS which allowed a free release on the quick slant. Our defense then went ahead and displayed poor tackling. The first part of this is a pet peeve of mine. We MUST NOT ALLOW FREE RELEASES. We must throw these receivers off of their routes and mess up the timing of the play. I believe we can be physical with these receivers.

These are just a few observations from re-watching the game and why I feel that game got out of hand early.

2. hagen910

hagen910 Banned

bottom line, better coaching and a commitment to the run game and its game on.

3. BiG CHoPz

BiG CHoPz Member

i agree with most of this and I also think losing leonhard played a big part in why the pats offense was so successful

4. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

It seems to me that everyone agrees that if Cromartie bumps you at the line you are in trouble, yet for whatever freakin reason Cromartie does not do this very often. I don't understand it.. does he not see Revis on the other side maul WRs at the line?!

5. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I've seen people write Leonhard was the QB of the D. How true is that and how much can we really pin on the loss of him.

Other teams have lost key D players but I've never hear the term lost the QB of the D before.

Why didn't we have a contingency plan in case he went down if he was so important?

Finally, who is the backup QB of the defence? Who is filling the void now?

6. jetsmets93

jetsmets93 Member

everything that could go wrong did go wrong

7. BiG CHoPz

BiG CHoPz Member

It's hard to adjust when we lost him just days before the game. The secondary is only one part of why the pats blew us out, tho. The jets played shitty in all phases, But jim is vocal and makes sure everyone in the secondary is in the exact right position. He knows rex's defense down to a T since baltimore and he's small but he makes big plays.

Brodney poole was making the calls i believe? I'm not saying we would have won with jim there but i don't think there's any chance of them scoring 45 if he was. Brodney and eric smith stepped it up against the colts hopefully they can do the same this sunday.

8. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Your offense sucked.
    Your defense sucked.
    Your coaching sucked.

9. The Mak

The Mak New Member

Scintillating contribution.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I understand that overall every phase of our game was terrible. But I think that it was made that way largely because of the terrible start. Had we followed up the Patriots first FG by pinning them deep in their own territory and were able to get the ball back in good field position I seriously believe this game could have turned out different. Minor things early turned into a major momentum flow to the Pats.

I also agree about Leonhard missing hurt our defense. And that it happened so close to the game.

11. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Yep. No excuses. And we outplayed them on both sides of the ball in the first matchup.

We lost against the Ravens, Packers, Pats, & Dolphins when the team came out flat.

The only game where we really showed up and lost was against the Bears, and that was a less than stellar game for our D.

12. PatsSBowl

PatsSBowl New Member

We may want to consider the fact that the Patriots have been playing pretty good too.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Beli knew the importance of Leonhard. And transferring those duties late in the week, coupled with the addition of Woodhead makes a big difference.

I only hope that Beli has kept that little gem to himself.

To wit:

If Beli goes in the lockerroom and says : "The reason we won like that was because A, and B..His team says "Oh Shit" and gears up hard

IF Beli says nothing but installs the game plan...human nature takes hold.

14. Hobbes3259

They always play pretty good. Beli is the Best coach in the game. Period. bar None. It's not like that's a secret.

Personally...I think he's better than Lombardi.

No Cap or shifting Coordinators to deal with.

He's the NFL Darth Vader.

But my above post, is the right answer.

15. Hobbes3259

And of those four.

It's fair to say that crappy OC play, and 1 play in each game, kept us from winning 15.

Ravens...running into kicker converts 3 into 7 points.

Packers...The Jco Droppery Game, along with Mark Missing a guy for 6, when GB put up 6 honest points.

Phins? Holmes drop in the EZ.

The Pats...is what it is.

16. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Pretty accurate though :)

17. Hobbes3259

I see your mom wrote the game plan....

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Jets were outplayed in all phases of the game but I think Bruschi nailed it w/ his analysis. Jets start the game in shotgun & trying to go w/ no huddle & trying to beat the Pats w/ offensive firepower. Then before you know it, Jets are down by 17+ & then needed Sanchez to carry the offense against a D that knows Jets have abandoned the run game.

basically:
    Offense going nowhere & can't even put together time consuming drives (never mind score). Gives Brady even more shots at a defense which just lost Leonard a few days ago. Jets fall even further behind. Sanchez is trying to carry the offense against a defense which respects the run even less than before & can't put together a time consuming drive ... repeat .... repeat .... repeat.

#18 ajax, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  19. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

weatherford 13 yard punt too. jets went into total meltdown mode.

20. Woody the Wabbit

Woody the Wabbit New Member

We left a lot of points on the field, had multiple dropped passes and let Brady get sacked 3 times. Pats definitely can play better this Sunday.