Jets vs. Patriots discussion thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Jan 8, 2011.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Did you watch the game or do you just pump your chest after you hear they won?

Brady took every snap. We split the series 2-2 and you think we have no chance? The playoffs are a different animal.

Have you ever beaten Indy at Indy in the playoffs?

2006 Season- no

So my point is anything can happen. Just to expect to win is ludicrous and the average fan at best that you are is very apparent.

The last time the Pats won a post-season game was 07, and you have a lot of youth on your time. This game will be a big test for them and good experience no matter what the outcome is.

Many counted the Chiefs out for that very reason, going up against a savvy veteran team in Baltimore and the Chiefs being playoff virgins was a recipe for disaster.

Obviously having Brady and BB helps but at the end of the day the players have to play.

2. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

without the defense though. even though yes the pat d has been clicking of recent. mainly because they always have a lead, so they can chill.

3. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

Obviously Revis is a world class CB but l wonder if using him to lock down someone like a Weller is the best use of his talents here. Even TEs. I would think some type of zone would almost be needed. So while Revis is still good I was wondering just how good he is in a zone? Hopefully maybe not as good.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Def not as good in zone. I think he'll be locked up man to man on Welker, to take him away, and we're going to rely on Cro to shut down Branch, and he'll also see some time on the TEs. I would do this...put Cro on the TEs with Smith/Pool, then have Coleman take Branch.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Tom Brady would love it if the Jets went zone

6. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

Jets best shot is to hit Brady early and often just like the 09 game when miss America was running for his life all afternoon

7. PatsFan01923

PatsFan01923 New Member

Sorry... I was looking at the 36-7 blowout of the NFC #2 seed Bears when Hoyer got in at the end of the game.

8. mute

mute Well-Known Member

How dare he be confident.

9. RUSH

RUSH Member

Rex Ryan must be the only confident coach in football.

10. 624

624 Banned

He's not as good in zone as he is in man....but he's still very good in zone.

11. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Good post.

I think one of the biggest keys to this game will be how each team does in the red zone. The Patriots give up a lot of yardage but interestingly enough they actually allow fewer red zone TDs than the Jets. No team is going to beat the Patriots kicking field goals, so the Jets' ability or inability to punch it in is going to be huge.

Special teams is always an "x-factor." The Patriots have covered kicks fairly well all season. Return-wise, Brandon Tate isn't looking as good as he was early on in the year, but if you give Edelman room to return punts he's a threat to break one every time.

The YPC stat with the Patriots' defense is a little misleading. They won in quite a few blow-outs where opposing teams put up some garbage time stats, some of which came on the ground. Any team will gladly give up 7 and 8-yard runs in the 4th quarter if you have a 24 or 30 point lead.

My biggest concern about the Patriots' defense is their third down conversion percentage. They've had trouble getting teams off the field at times (specifically the Packers a few weeks ago, and of course the Browns and Jets in their two losses).

Question for you about ball security. How's Greene been? I know LT doesn't cough it up much, but if the Jets play it conservative and stick with the run, what are the odds of someone putting it on the ground?

12. mute

mute Well-Known Member

and the only one that sets a goal to the SuperBowl.

13. dex13

dex13 New Member

the run D for NE will be huge. Pats D-line is severely diminished due to injuries so the Jets could have the advantage there. If Spikes can't return to form quickly, the Jets could end up holding the ball for quite a bit.

14. He believes in his team. How classless.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Well, I have not seen all that many Pats games this year, but I have to wonder how many teams were running on them late in games the Pats were ahead. But putting that aside...

Coughing it up. Greene has been a concern of mine in that regard. He put the ball on the grund on too little carries in regular season of 09. A drop in the playoffs was negated, so it didn't count, but... This year he's been much better at protection on a per carry basis, but he still dropped it three times, only one less turnover, though.

LT has had more carries, but four fumbles, only that none led to turnovers. Seemed to me they came when he was getting tired. I don't think he's put one on the ground for awhile.

Red Zone. I frankly don't think there's much difference in performance on this aspect between the two teams.

But yeah, I have been concerned about Greene, but I also sense he's doing much better. Ryan effectively benched him the rest of the game after his second turnover. It seems to have gotten his attention.

16. RUSH

RUSH Member

lol and you think he's the only one?

17. PatsFan01923

PatsFan01923 New Member

The Pats have only lost 2 home playoff games in the history of the team. Last year to the ravens and 1978 to the Oilers. The Jets don't stand a chance.

18. PatsFan01923

PatsFan01923 New Member

Every coach is confident about his team. BB is just as confident as RR. The difference is that BB doesn't go to every microphone he can get near and start talking trash.

19. PatsFan01923

PatsFan01923 New Member

BB sets that as the goal as well. He also does the work to get there.

43 years... and counting. Get used to it... you're a fan of the same old Jets.

20. PatsFan01923

PatsFan01923 New Member

It happened quite a bit. Keeps the clock running... Pats were OK with it. Bend, don't break.