I want Revis on Welker, with Cromartie on Branch.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HighFlyingJets, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Rangers Jets NY

Rangers Jets NY New Member

I'm going the other way on this one w/Revis on Branch. Branch loves those quick slants across the middle and then running post routes which he burned Cro on in the last matchup. Revis is better equipped at covering all of those things.

Welker has a similar style and if they put Revis on Branch, they may utilize Welker in that way instead to get the mismatch but if its me making the decision is Revis on Branch

2. jerseyjetfan84

Very true. Its their dinks and dunks that turn into huge gains for them as well

3. Patriot Reign

Patriot Reign New Member

I posed this question in the Jets/Pats discussion thread but to me, I think the biggest challenge the Jets D has this week is figuring out how to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez. Clearly the Jets have to do something different than they did a few weeks ago... right?

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

No you are wrong. I posted this on another thread.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4691470/scouting-notes-on-pats-jets

Revis mostly on Welker early. The Jets had cornerback Darrelle Revis covering Wes Welker on the majority of snaps. One way the Patriots countered that was lining Welker up in the offensive backfield, or simply not lining up a receiver to Revis' side of the field (Revis didn't always flip sides in those instances). When Welker wasn’t in the game, the Jets had Revis on Brandon Tate, leaving Antonio Cromartie on Deion Branch. Over the course of the game, Branch won that matchup decisively.

5. HighFlyingJets

This isn't as simple as I'm making it sound, but just like we had our two best cover corners in Revis and Cromartie up against Manning's two best WR's in Wayne and Garcon for 4 quarters strong...

I want Revis and Cromartie up against Brady's best WR in Welker, along with his most experienced WR in Branch, who's been clutch during his entire career.

1) If Woodhead isn't able to play, thats a huge advantage for our defense. Thats just another dynamic of Brady's attack that we wouldn't have to worry about. Woodhead has become the Patriots Kevin Faulk pt.2.

2) By pretty much slowing down both Welker and Branch, that would limit Brady to pretty much two playmakers in Gronkowski and Hernandeza; two rookie TE's playing their first ever playoff games. Alot of pressure will be on those two kids. We can bend, we just cant break against those TE's.

3) If Woodhead doesn't play, that leaves Brady with pretty much only Green-Ellis, Eddelman & Tate. None of those players are more impressive than INDY's supporting cast.

6. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The TE's are a problem but Gronkowski and Hernandez may as well be listed at WR on the roster. The Jets aren't figuring out how to stop each individual receiver, rather they need to figure out how to contain all 4/5/6 options Brady has. WR1 (Welker or Branch I presume) is as much of a coverage liability as RB2 or WR3 is.

The Patriots have checkmated the Revis-led secondary. If there is no clear #1, Revis is just a spectator out there. Sure, he can take out a receiver, but if Brady goes for 300 yds and 3 td to Edelman and Crumpler then it don't mean much.

P.S.: enjoy the bandwagon ride.

7. Patriot Reign

Patriot Reign New Member

Not sure if the "Bandwagon," comment was for me but I should tell you that the first professional football game I attended was a Rookie Game between the BOSTON Patriots and New York TITANS in Lowell, Ma. :)

I agree with you that the current iteration of the Pats offenses does minimize Reavis' impact.

8. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I feel the same, but at the same time Cro on Welker would be a disaster. Cro doesn't match up well with that kind of receiver. Heck, I'd rather throw Cro on one of their TEs and put one or two other guys on Welker.

9. Flyboy

Flyboy Active Member

I agree. Revis has a better chance taking out Welker than anyone on this D. I'll be sick to my stomach if I see Coleman cover any of these receivers. That dude couldn't cover my mother.

10. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

This.

The huge problem, unlike the Colts game, the Pats will move guys around. While it might sound like a great idea what the OP is saying, the thing is the Pats counter this by playing "Guess who is my #1 receiver on this snap". Like Rockafella says there is NO #1 guy on this Pats team. So putting Revis on this "#1" Welker, who will be on different sides throughout the game, means nothing when Brady will have other "#1's" to throw to.
    I'll say this, not to sound negative because I know there is no such a thing as an unbeatable team, but our secondary will have to put up a monumental effort to stop this offense. If our line can get pressure on Brady so he's forced to throw it quickly then yes I have a strong feeling we can win.

11. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

How about Hernandez who has been hurt missed 5 games and still had 6 touchdowns and Gronkowski with 10 touchdowns or Danny woodhead.
    All capable of quick touchdowns as good as either receiver.

I'm as curious as to the matchups as I am the game

12. patswinagain

patswinagain New Member

One of the best home posts I've read.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

IMO the key to this game is gonna be how well our LB'S do in coverage.The matchups with Woodhead out of the back field,along with the TE's over the middle.
    Pool has to have a good game and not blow his assignments.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I want to see Revis on Branch and then Cromartie covering TEs.

15. HighFlyingJets

Question; whats the injury status on Danny Woodhead and his head injury?

Last I heard, he missed the Patriots week 17 game against the Dolphins and missed every practice last week.

Whats his status as of right now though? Has he practiced at all since his injury, and is he expected to play or no?

16. rock316nyj

rock316nyj Member

Here is my defensive gameplan....

The same way we forced Manning to run the ball, we need to do similarly to Brady...only problem is the Patiots offensive line is much better so that can not be our only strategy...We CANNOT give the same look on back to back drives IMO, Brady will see what we're doing and make the adjustments...If one drive we zone blitz, next drive blitz and play man, next drive dont blitz and play man, then play zone, then bring in Smith at LB, etc...Change it up every drive...As far as the Revis/Cromartie matchup, I expect Rex to take a different approach...While i love the idea of taking away Welker and Revis shadowing him, the Pats have too many options for that...I think Brady's #1 option on most plays coming in will be either to the tight ends, or the slot receiver, obviously...therefore I want Revis to shadow whoever is in the slot, and rotate Cromartie on Hernandez and Branch (no way he can cover Welker) I actually like our chances with KW and Cole working the outsides with help rather than leave coleman pool smith etc to cover the middle and the slot

17. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He practiced last week, but was wearing the red "no contact" jersey.

18. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Dude, you should be on the staff! :up:

19. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I think the question really comes down to How are we going to stop their spreading Offense. One way to stop the spread offense is by match up with their receivers speed.

20. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I'd rather see Cromartie on the TE. He cant roam with Branch or Welker. I want Revis on Branch as well but who will cover Welker? Who else on the team besides Revis is a sure tackler that can handle Welker?