Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

What? No... the Colts weakness was by far their inability to defend the pass. They had 8 and even 9 in the box the entire game. It was the passing that helped back them off.

When a team GIVES you something, like man coverage on WR's the likes of which we have, the QB has to play decently enough to get the ball to them. It wasn't Schotty's fault Sanchez was over throwing all day long.

Posts like this make me scratch my head.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Playcalling last night should have looked just like it did in Chicago.

Playing against a mainly cover2 defense, we did not utilize the flats and underneath nearly enough.

It's time to stop making Sanchez throw outside the numbers excluusively.

(He did hit some checkdowns over the middle, but the last two weeks looked far more promising than last night did.)

Like the third down that Santonio could not corral.

You mean against this colts defense you could not get a guy inside?

C'mon Man!

#1782 Hobbes3259, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

You're overanalyzing it.

I agree with you it was the right call.

That play was called before they lined up and read blitz.

Edwards had been running past the guy all night long.

Go back and watch the tape.

Before they even line up, Collinsworth is in the booth saying,

"They're going to go back to Edwards again"....

Sho'nuff.....

4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Again, you're absolutely correct that this route is a good route to run against a blitz when you clearly have the advantage in the one-on-one.

However, with 2:50 left, up by 1 point with 3rd and 5 to go, it is simply not the right play call. A stop route or hitch makes much more sense.

5. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

im convinced callahan took over the play calling in the second half

6. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I tell you what, we played w/Fire by coming out of the half and running the ball 3 times in a row.

Imagine we don't get a 1st down there? this place would have exploded...

IMO, Rex grabbed the O-Line and told them that it's on them because Sanchez was struggling so they needed to step up

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Given who it would have likely killed, I'd be all for that.

New England delenda est.

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well, youre absolutely wrong

9. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I like this attitude. "I don't like Schottenheimer, so I'm convinced that someone else pulled all the strings behind the scenes and he has nothing to do with the Jets success."

10. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

If anything, I would think Rex had input in the strategy switch. He sounded like he was really pissed off at the half, and rightly so. He probably mouthed a number of expletives in Schotty's direction and said FIX IT!! I wasn't happy with a few different play choices, but sometimes it is really just about execution. Lot of things should have worked beautifully. Unfortunately, you cannot control whether someone is going to have a bad game or not.

11. CatoTheElder

What makes me constantly wonder is why he constantly has to "fix it" instead of just going with a version of the offense that works. I keep getting the scene from "The Ghost and the Darkness" where Val Kilmer is talking to Michael Douglas about his rail-car trap and how the idea is so good but it only leads to failure.

It's like he refuses to believe his offense needs to be changed until there's a situation where Rex has enough reason to scream at him.

New England delenda est.

12. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I'm just guessing that he was probably bitching about the strategy. I get why we would attack a weak secondary. We have the tools to do it, even though to me, we are a run-first, power run team. It's good to be balanced enough that you can lean on either aspect. It was very good to see them change directions on the game plan once they realized that it wasn't working out. Times past we have seen the coaching staff just keep hammering away expecting any play that the damn is going to break.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I didn't really understand why they were doing all the misdirection runs in the first half instead of running it right at them and trying to pound them. Then if that didn't work maybe switch to the misdirections.. but when you are so much bigger and better up front, why not try to just wear them out like in the 2nd half.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

this is the crux of my problem with Schotty.

We have all this offensive talent on our starting roster.....yet, why does Rex have to force him to make adjustments when necessary. Schotty should be able to come to those conclusions without interference from Rex.

15. CatoTheElder

There is a lot of this offense that I love that Schottenheimer put in. The Wildcat is 1. effective and 2. fun to watch, especially the newer versions of it with the triple option. Watching B. Smith hand off to Terminator was great. However, we get all of these pre-snap reads which don't seem to be effective and we have a 2nd year QB throwing more passes than Peyton Manning and I star wondering if Schottenheimer is actually thinking when he is making play calls or if he is just throwing darts at his play chart.

New England delenda est.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

the pre-snap motion B.S. drives me nuts. It's not fooling anybody...and it cost us a delay of game flag yesterday too. :mad:

17. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

So true. Too often it seems like the offense comes into games without any actual sort of game plan or anything. Like they don't seem as if they have know how they want to attack the defense or know where to attack the defense. It's like they come out and see what the defense is doing and then adjust the offense accordingly instead of setting the tempo and dictating the way the game will go.

18. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

like when we got to the red zone by running the ball and just threw the ball like 3 straight times until Sanchez threw a pick?

19. CatoTheElder

Yea, that. Three straight targets to Keller and the defense was able to come up with a turnover. I'm not sure how much of the Keller aspect was Schottenheimer vs. Sanchez but we didn't try one running play to move the ball forward? The Keller target on the INT was more than likely on Sanchez as Keller was open as he was coming across the middle and Sanchez didn't see him until Keller made it to the sideline - my guess is that Keller was the 3rd option on that play at best - but we had the Colts clearly thinking pass the entire time. Not even an attempt at a draw play to try and catch them off guard? The DEs were working their way up the field the entire game it would have been very easy for Tomlinson to slip out for at least a 3 yard gain. We don't get the first but we set up a Folk FG right there.

New England delenda est.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

little to no play action? almost every pass was play action.

The playcalling was fine, again it was the execution that was lacking. If mark isn't throwing high all 1st half we have a comfortable lead at halftime.