Why the Colts timeout?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by crutchfield, Jan 8, 2011.

1. crutchfield

crutchfield Member

We often criticize our staff for clock mismanagement, but what was the deal with the timeout the colts called with 29 seconds left? We had just run the ball, and would have had to either call our final timeout, or line up for a spike. There was no way they were getting the ball back, so they did us a huge favor. And you could see Peyton Manning was thinking the same thing with the way he reacted.

2. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Why Jim Caldwell stupid?

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Probably a mistake, but the Colts D failed them and that cost them the game more than a T.O. call.

4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I understand what he was thinking but even w/ that reasoning he failed at giving us more time to run our play

5. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Not only was it a stupid call by us to run the ball on that play, it was an even more stupid call by the Colts to call that timeout.

I guess Caldwell felt bad that Jet fans had to witness us call a 1 yard run up the gut with 29 seconds left when we werent even in fieldgoal range. So he wanted to give us a redo

6. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

He's terrible. That stupid challenge at the beginning of the game and that bizzare time out to give the Jets some more time to think. I have no proof but I think Manning thinks he's an idiot too. He doesn't even hide it on the sidelines.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Caldwell dumbed out. Peyton Manning was like WTF!

8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I thought the challenge on the first punt was a bigger gaffe.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Caldwell is the best coach in the NFL. He is allowed to make brainless mistakes four times a game.

10. crutchfield

crutchfield Member

I was screaming at the TV that we ran the ball there, then blew a gasket when I thought we called our last timeout with 29 seconds left. When they said the colts called it, I was in disbelief. That never happens to us!

11. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Stupid timeout. Given the fact they are not getting the ball back with any time at that point, and given Folk's prior failures in clutch time, I'm using that last timeout to freeze out Folk on the last second field goal.

As said, also, that challenge was one of the worst I have seen. There was no evidence Holmes touched that ball. I think Caldwell threw the flag in reaction to the crowd reaction at the replays. He was lucky that stupid challenge didn't come back to bite him.

12. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Caldwell wanted to do something... he was sick of standing there picking his ass while peyton was calling the game.

13. COColtsFan

COColtsFan New Member

It's the second dumb (and potentially HUGE) one Caldwell has called this year. He did it in Jacksonville, and it probably cost us that game. Granted, I'm not the biggest Caldwell supporter, but there's just no excuse for that. Oh well, the defense was Swiss cheese in the 2nd half, and you guys deserved it. Seeing as how you're playing the Pats next week, I'm already on the Jets bandwagon. :pats_suck:

14. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agree with you about the lack of freezing possibility with the boneheaded time-out I wish someone could come up with sort sort of logical explanation, but I doubt it. Actually with another timeout (if they didn't use the challenge), maybe they try to score at the end of the first half.

15. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc[/youtube]

16. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Kinda dumb. Initially, I thought the Jets called it to stop the clock and decide on the next play.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Calling the time out was the right move.

Just the timing was inexcusably off.

Caldwell gave Jets basically a free play to attack down the field - which the Jets did. He should have saved the time out to ice the kicking. If Folk hits the 50 yarder, the time out did its job. If Folk misses, so what. He has to kick 50 yarder AGAIN.

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Caldwell wanted to make sure everyone would forget about the other brainless decision he made -- challenging the punt in the 1st quarter.

19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Haha I love how the arrogance of the Colts fans cost them a time out. I'm sorry, but they must be homers to think Holmes touched it. I'm sure they got to see the replay on the jumbo screen and they were still booing it.

As for the timeout,I really think they were worried about Folk making the 50 yarder and wanted the ball back. Folk has a good leg, but his accuracy is horrible from that far out. Any idiot could have realized that the Jets have no faith in Folk to kick anything but short field goals these days.

20. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

i was stunned there as i thought in that point u save the timeout to ice the kicker