Luck not declaring for draft, returning to Stanford

Discussion in 'Draft' started by nyjetsmets89, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

True. I'm not a big college football aficionado, but it seems that Locker has imponderables and that they'd be better off sticking with Clausen as the devil they know while using their high pick to give him better offensive options than he has currently.

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

I agree....I think Luck wants to be playing football next year no matter what. College offers him that chance, the NFL does not the way the CBA is going.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it will be difficult for the Panthers to try and trade their way out of the #1 slot now too.......Luck really took a dump on their draft aspirations.

4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

No.....I like both Clausen and Locker. Last thing I would want to see is the 2 fight for a starting spot :(

I would sign a veteran for Clausen and Pike to learn from in CAR and who could fight for a starting spot like a Matt Hasselback.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Posted this in the College Football forum before seeing this thread. Sorry. GREAT news. I'm guessing the people calling him an idiot are just sad not to see him on their precious draft boards this year. Too fucking bad.

Bradford came back, got injured, and STILL went #1 overall. I'm not worried about Luck.

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Only thing is that there will be a rookie wage scale for sure in 2012...So he probably loses around 45-50 million guaranteed up front.

7. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

Yep, the value of the top pick definitely took a nose dive....kind of like our '97 top pick when Peyton stayed in school.

I don't think there will be a consensus number 1 player now until well after the combine.

8. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

You'd think Matt Leinart's career would have made these kids realize you strike while the iron is hot!

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

From a financial perspective, Luck might've screwed himself. Not saying he will, but because we don't know how the new CBA will affect the rookie payscale.

10. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt wanna play for carolina either

11. ........

........ Trolls

Ain't nobody getting paid until a new CBA is in effect. The draft will take place. Contract negotiations won't.

12. ........

........ Trolls

Peyton Manning and Sam Bradford say hi.

As far as "earning that degree at any time", how often does that happen? Vince Carter got his degree later. So did Larry Fitzgerald...from the University of Phoenix.

It used to be that we applauded athletes for staying in school. Now they're "idiots".

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

ahhh...I wasn't sure if the possibility of a new CBA would affect contracts for the 2011 rookies.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Bradford was not a concensus #1 the year before he came out (nor was he the year he actually came out, but he lucked out with a need/value pick). And Manning is Manning.

All of which is irrelevant. Only time will tell.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with you, this guy needs to cash in on this opportunity, big mistake, I know it's just my opinion, but tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us.

16. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

You added more after I posted.

What are the odds that these athletes use the degree they "earn" in any actual practical application toward a career? I'm not Cakes, nor do I care to google it to find out, but I'd be shocked if a significant number of successful post-sports athletes used their degrees to any advantage in the business world.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I don't think that is really the point. A lot of people don't neccesarily use their degree to become successful. It is an accomplishment that helps prepare you for becoming successful.

18. ........

........ Trolls

For such a specific degree as the one Luck is after, I'd assume he has a passion for it. He's not pulling the Sociology or Communications route that a lot of athletes go down. If it's an interest he'd like to pursue later in life, he won't be able to do so without the degree, either.

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

See, there you have me beat because I haven't the foggiest what degree he is obtaining. Opinions and assholes, of course, but I just go with the bird in the hand. As ukilledkenny (I think that's his name) said, no matter where he goes, so long as he does go, he'll be richer than any of us ever will be.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I thought I read somewhere that Luck is going after a Structural Engineering degree.....I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I was wrong...he's majoring in Architecture. Link