NY Jets vs. Indianapolis Colts Thread - Saturday 1/8 8:20PM NBC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

3. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I like Trent's optimism, but this is all easier said than done. I don't recall us getting into a rhythm early in games, either due to bad playcalling or botched execution.

I do think we can score on the Colts so we can come back from a deficit if need be, but our D will really have to step it up to keep us in the game. I don't think there's anything our O can do to make up for the D's lack of a pass rush and inability to stop receivers running around the middle of the field. Yeah, we can probably keep Manning off the field for a while, but what good is that if he only needs a few minutes to score?

I'm probably just being negative since I need to go get a damn snack! :manning:

#303 Fiftynine, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  4. MadBacker Prime

We did against the Bears and Steelers, Rex was more involved those weeks as well. That was a major reason why Sanchez played so well against 2 of the top D's in the league.

5. Fiftynine

Well, the Steelers were without Polamalu, and we didn't really light them up offensively.

But yeah, we did stomp on the Bears' D, good point. And our backups on O handled the Bills' starters pretty well, so that's a good sign too.

Still though, even if we dictate the rhythm on O, I don't have any faith in our D to stop Manning from driving his team to a score in limited time. He's smart enough to pick up our blitz and to not throw towards Revis or Cromartie. He'll pick on Wilson/Coleman or the Safties all day.

I really gotta get a snack, I'm starting to sound like Champ.

6. IndyDrummer

IndyDrummer New Member

The way he was burned on that one pass play, he should be handcuffed.

7. black&gold

black&gold New Member

Did you watch the same game? While the score indicates the Jets won, it was hardly because of Sanchez. Sanchez threw for 170 yards while Ben threw for 264 yards with Edwards having 100 yards and Holmes a whopping 40. Wallace had 102 and Sanders, a third WR 78 yards. Mendenhall alone had 99 yards while Tomlinson and Greene combined ran for 89 yards. You realize the reason the Jets won the game was due to special teams and outstanding punting the Jets had all game pinning the Steelers back and getting a safety out of one of those. Your posts make it sound like the jets dominated the Steelers, lol.

8. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

Dilfer also was asked about the teams in the AFC who can't go to the superbowl. The Jets and Colts were the 2 teams he chose. Colts because they're too weak in too many areas. The Jets because of our defensive breakdowns.

9. MadBacker Prime

I don't care who was in the game, Sanchez and Schotty were on the same page. It was a good gameplan and executed well, that's all that matters.

They had open guys in short yardage and spread from there, it worked to perfection. Once we established the passing threat we could run the ball against 2 of the top rush D's in the league.

Our offense is heading into the playoffs on a high-note.

10. black&gold

black&gold New Member

LOL, reality isn't your strong point, is it? Again, how was Sanchez a "passing threat" on the Steelers? He scored no passing TDs, but did run one in, his only one. I fail to see how Sanchez lit up the Steelers or even the Jets running game for that matter.

11. Fiftynine

Sanchez and the O kept the Steelers D on edge enough to get them to fall pretty hard for that fake (the TD he ran in).

12. black&gold

black&gold New Member

I gave him credit for that, he got me fooled too. But my point was only his passing didn't win that game for the Jets. The O only scored 13 points on the Steelers D, I don't think they were too much on edge much of that game. Hardly an offensive shootout by either team.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Whoa, again, this is the game thread for this weekend.

I always try and take a game by game approach. This week, despite Ryan talking about the SB, the Pats waiting, we all wanting to go farther than last year, despite all that there's plenty to focus on with this game.

Remember it was the Colts who stopped this team from going to the SB last year. Hazy remembrances focus on the second half, but it was really something that started out in the late second quarter when the Colts were down 17-6 and bounced back with a TD. The first big thing that gives me hope this time is what went on in that TD. Basically, Collie killed the Jets. Three passes in the two minute drill, they score, and the Jets run out the half without trying anything. Instead of going in 17-6, momentum had shifted to the Colts, and they never gave it back.

Collie of course is out for this game.

The second big thing is this. After the half, the Jets came out and received, moved the ball well, but stalled after first and ten from Indy's 37, only picking up three yards and two incompletions, and a missed 52 yard FG attempt.

Then see who Indy threw to -

1-10-IND 43 (11:34) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete deep right to 85-P.Garcon.

2-10-IND 43 (11:28) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short right to 85-P.Garcon to 50 for 7 yards (52-D.Harris).

3-3- (10:50) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short left to 17-A.Collie to NYJ 43 for 7 yards (30-D.Coleman).

1-10-NYJ 43 (10:08) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short right to 85-P.Garcon to NYJ 28 for 15 yards (21-D.Lowery).

1-10-NYJ 28 (9:30) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass incomplete deep left to 17-A.Collie.

2-10-NYJ 28 (9:25) (Shotgun) 18-P.Manning pass short right to 29-J.Addai to NYJ 15 for 13 yards (97-C.Pace).

1-10-NYJ 15 (8:40) 18-P.Manning pass short right to 85-P.Garcon to NYJ 4 for 11 yards (21-D.Lowery).

1-4-NYJ 4 (8:08) 18-P.Manning pass short right to 85-P.Garcon for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

So, after getting within one score going to Collie, the Colts get the go ahead, and ultimately winning, score with no runs, going to Collie and Garcon, with one pass to Addai out of the backfield. See the named defenders? Coleman, Lowery, with Pace on Addai. No Revis, and the whole point of this post is

NO F'ING CROMARTIE.

This my friends, in case you forgot, is the reason the Jets got Cromartie. This Indy drive and what it meant for the Jets season.

And of course the added TD later featured Clark, Collie and Garcon. Oh yea, no Clark for this game, either.

So, let me see, subtract Collie, add Cromartie, and what do you have?

It obviously will be a huge factor how well Indy's receivers other than Wayne and Garcon step up, or not, for this game. Just like other games the Jets have had trouble with, Indy will win or lose depending on those guys. Manning is great, but he can't throw it to himself.

Adding Cromartie did not solve all the Jet D's problems, not at all, but in this matchup, against this opponent, that's why they got him.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Sorry to say, but if we had Lito instead of Cro we'd be in much better shape here.

15. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I saw the Steelers game too. I wouldn't go so far as to say Roethisberger dominated our defense like a drunk coed.

And that was not a great day for our D.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

LMAO!!!

Of course for the uninformed, and that includes you know who, it is of no small relevance that Lito was not healthy for that game. Longevity and avoiding injury counts for something in this game, as some fail to realize. Cro has played the whole season and avoided injury. Another plus on his side.

17. black&gold

black&gold New Member

He did pass for 264 yards to Sanchez's 170, not too shabby. Obviously not a great day for our D either, huh?

18. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

Yeah, I was surprised that we got more sacks in the game than the Steelers did. Wasn't expecting that.

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

What's funny is that they have the wrong times listed in their playoff TV schedule on the right-hand side of that article.

20. black&gold

black&gold New Member

Joking? The Steelers have one of the worst O-lines and Ben is one of the highest sacked QBs in the league. There should be no shock there.