Putting your Jets bias to the side, is Sanchez good?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Jan 1, 2011.

1. 624

624 Banned

If Tim Tebow and Tom Brady were on the same college team, Brady would have been 2nd string.

He sucks

2. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Well obviously a QB's performance in college decides his NFL career. Makes about as much sense as your whole dumb ass HERP DERP Booty started over Sanchez shit.

3. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

its hard to say Sanchez is going to be great without being a homer based on what we've seen so far

4. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

you just don'y seem to grasp much, so i'll bedone with you. you are beyond help.

5. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

It's also retarded to say that JDB is a better QB...

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Zipped over my head?.....how do you figure that?

I know exactly who Booty is....and his situation when he was at USC.

It has absolutely NO BEARING on Sanchez's ability to play in this league....nor his ability to improve season after season.

By your standard...Brian Griese must be better than Tom Brady too.....since Brady was Griese's benchwarmer at Michigan.

7. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

this is all i've said right from the start. from what we've seen, he'll be serviceable.

8. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

didnt say that

9. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I guess I just don'y grasp much I'm glad that you have decided to bedone with me. Seriously how can you use an underclassmen not taking a starting position from a JDB during his junior and senior years and was considered a top 10 qb going into the draft as support for some argument that Sanchez is horrible? That's just as outrageous as saying JaMarcus Russel wasn't a bust because he was great in college. I hope to God that I never grasp the shit you are spewing.

#149 The Jutty, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

All I know is that he has improved his stats from last year.

http://www.nfl.com/players/marksanchez/profile?id=SAN091667

So yes he is good. A QB who sucks would not improve or maybe get worse with time. Sanchez is young and the sky is the limit for this kid. If he can keep improving each year he is going to be on the top tier of NFL QBs in the next couple of years.

Disclaimer: I could not put my Jets bias aside for this one. That would just make me feel dirty.

11. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

I just read some of your previous posts from other threads...

Just curious, how much fun is it to come on here and rip on the Jets and anyone and everyone that disagrees with you?

Also, wondering what team you actually like. If the Jets suck as much as you say so often, maybe you should find a team you like, and not stress over it so much. Just a suggestion.

12. jerseyjet0912

jerseyjet0912 Banned

i will say this though, i wanna see sanchez with someone beside schittenheimer before i make a final decision

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

He plays in NY so he has much more pressure then Freeman and he started from day one where Eli sat and learned from a veteran, Mark had Clemens. We made the playoffs 2 years in a row with him, geez, what else can I say. He's gonna be a top QB for years to come. Top 5, who knows, but we are gonna win a lot of playoff games if we surround him with talent. The guy has been incredible considering how young and inexperienced he was

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

None of them are clearly better than Sanchez this year except for completion percentage. You confuse seeing things clearly and being overly negative.

Sanchez had more success than all those guys have had in this league as a rookie, besides Eli. I took Eli off the list because he sucks hard this year and right now there is no way I would take him to win one game over Sanchez. Sanchez makes less dumb mistakes than Eli right now.

If I am looking to win one game I take guys that have actually won before. Bradford and Freeman are good young players but Jets are suffering from "the grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome with them. Palmer has been a disappointment since he had his knee blown up and Garrard is a JAG in every sense of the word.

#154 ukilledkenny, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  15. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Comparing Sanchez to other young QBs (drafted 2009-2010), I think it is fair to say that Sanchez has had by far the best supporting cast around him (defense, running game, WRs). All other things being equal, you would expect his performance to be significantly better than the other QBs in the group:

Sanchez 2009: 63.0 QB RTG, 196/364, 53.8%, 2444 yds, 6.7 ypa, 12 TD, 20 INT (15 games)
    Sanchez 2010: 75.3 QB RTG, 278/507, 54.8%, 3291 yds, 6.5 ypa, 17 TD, 13 INT (15 games)

Freeman 2009: 59.8 QB RTG, 158/290, 54.5%, 1855 yds, 6.4 ypa, 10 TD, 18 INT (10 games)
    Freeman 2010: 93.6 QB RTG, 270/448, 60.3%, 3196 yds, 7.1 ypa, 23 TD, 6 INT (10 games)

Bradford 2010: 78.0 QB RTG, 335/554, 60.5%, 3357 yds, 6.1 ypa, 18 TD, 14 INT (15 games)

Stafford 2009: 61.0 QB RTG, 201/377, 53.0%, 2267 yds, 6.0 ypa, 13 TD, 20 INT (10 games)
    Stafford 2010: 91.3 QB RTG, 57/96, 59.4%, 535 yds, 5.6 ypa, 6 TD, 1 INT (3 games)

Clausen 2010: 56.8 QB RTG, 138/266, 51.9%, 1376 yds, 5.2 ypa, 2 TD, 8 INT (12 games)

In comparing Sanchez to these QBs, he had a very similar rookie year to Freeman, but Freeman has seemingly progressed at a much higher rate in his second year. Bradford's rookie stats already look slightly better than Sanchez's sophomore ones, and much better than his rookie stats. Stafford also had a comparable rookie year. In his (very limited) second-year play, he has looked better. Sanchez has looked better than Clausen by any comparison.

Bottom line, Sanchez has looked comparable or moderately worse than any of the QBs that I think you can fairly compare him to, excluding Clausen. Like I said, I would expect him to look better on the Jets team, given the same talent.

The good news is that all of those that I mentioned are considered good young QBs, so that comparison doesn't necessarily make Sanchez bad. I just don't think that he is head-and-shoulders above the others as some seem to think based on his win/loss record and playoff performance. I think it is more accurate to say that he is near the end of the line in the group of young-and-promising QBs.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Taking off the green glasses, I think Sanchez has a lot of upside. Right now, his performance depends on the type of play calling. schotty trusts way too much in him and takes too many risks. But the last two wks, Sanchez has been excellent. He has shown much more flashes late in both seasons.

17. 624

624 Banned

All things aren't equal though, Sanchez plays in shitty weather...which makes a huge difference in stats.

QBs are measured in wins

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thanks for the stats and your unbiased opinion. Looking at those stats, it does seem like Sanchez doesn't have an edge either way.

Maybe I still have my green glasses on, but IMO, Sanchez has progressed at a good rate only because he has just one year of college starting experience, so I'd like to think he has a lot more to learn and will continue progressing for more years than most others.

19. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I understand that there are other factors, but I don't think that changes everything to the extent that you imply.

Also, I think the point of this thread is to look a little further than "QBs are measured in wins". Rex Grossman took the Bears to a superbowl with a great defense and Thomas Jones to hand the ball off to. The fact that Sanchez ALMOST did the same thing doesn't make either one of them a great Quarterback.

20. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Right now i think hes good with potential still to be great. These past two weeks have really led me to believe that his low completion percentage was largely due to bad playcalling. He can make all the throws and even after hitting some major lows he continues to bounce back and make us believe in him again. I would think if your not a jet fan and only have limited chances to see sanchez play you would have to think based on numbers that Sanchez is in the bottom half of the league when it comes to quarterbacks. If you watch him game in and game out I think you would have a better appreciation for the player he is. Consistency is the thing he needs to become great.