This might be Shaun Ellis' last year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Dec 31, 2010.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Bruce Smith is a HOF player who played well above the standard. Getting a player of his talents is not something we can bank on. What we can count on is getting someone in the mold of Brent Keisel, Aaron Smith, Jarvis Green, Igor Olshansky...etc. 3-4 DEs with the ability to collapse the pocket, take on double teams and keep OLine off of the LBs. Getting a guy who can consistently pass rush from a 3-4 position is a once in a decade occurrence for the league.

And who the fuck is Richard Seymore?

Kansas City delenda est.

2. BlueDevil73

BlueDevil73 New Member

Yes 41... We established that already. Is my answer unacceptable? Should I make a new account so it is not such a problem when I do decide to post.?

I appologize for not having the time to post daily. Shame on me - I just changed my new years resolution. My new resolution is to post on TGG 50 times a day so that Footballgod feels better about my presence on the site.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You know who the fuck he is, just because i suck at spelling is no reason to go all asshole about it, but I guess when you don't have a good counter to something picking on grammar or spelling is a great way to go.

You also noted that we need to get people who can push the pocket or even get sacks. Which completel contridicts you first post of:

Our current guys are pathetic in this job. Both Devito and Pouha are good against the run and below average in the pass rushing department for 3-4 lineman. I brought up Smith and Seymour because it is possible to be both stout against the run but not be completely devoid of pass rushing ability like 2/3's of our sarters.

4. jessedark

jessedark Active Member

Hate to see Ellis go, but I don't see them offering another contract.

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I appreciate everything Ellis did, but boy if he's on the team next year, that means our DL sucks.

6. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Note to self: Harupa cannot take a joke.
    No, actually, it doesn't. We need guys to push the pocket around and occupy the OLine. Penetrating into the backfield and separating form blocks isn't the normal job of a 3-4 DLine. If you can find guys who can, great, but they need to be able to keep the OLine off of the LBs. That's their first priority in the pass. That's what guys like Smith and Keisel are great 3-4 DEs who do their jobs well and help make Pittsburgh's defense a perennial top 10 unit, because they occupy the OLine and move the pocket around so the LBs behind them can get to the QB, not career best 9.5 sacks they've ever gotten as a pair.
    Mike DeVito is one of the reasons that Bryan Thomas has 4 sacks this season. He's doing his job in the defense. The OLBs, Pace - Thomas and Taylor - are not.

Kansas City delenda est.