Putting your Jets bias to the side, is Sanchez good?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pointman

pointman New Member

I really think he is bringing this team down. We are a stacked team that had a hard time scoring. Gotta point the finger where it starts... and we know it ain't Mangold.

2. Pete Carroll

Pete Carroll New Member

Schotty?As for the backup argument, Steve young, Rodgers and Romo have all been backups for years prior to starting so it's a meh argument

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Seriously, I think Sanchez is a pretty good QB. His comp % blows, and his career TD:INT ratio blows but he's in his bloomer years. What we've seen from him is: he can make ALL the throws, he can escape pressure, he CAN toss to his 3rd read, he can audible accordingly, BUT he can be inaccurate as fuck and can force throws. Those who want to make a judgment on him now, are probably jumping the gun. I think Sanchez will only get better, and that's without my green goggles on (I never wear them anyways).....

#23 Jake, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I like Sanchez a lot. And I think he's coming along nicely.
    But I also think that he's lucky the Jets took him. I don't think he starts on a lot of teams.

But what's the point of debating how good he is or isn't really.
    He's our starter and will be for the foreseeable future.

I'm fine with that.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Definitely is. He's a good player with alot of top level tools, He's only in his second year. He's very young and will improve and become in my opinion elite level within the next 2 years... Only a matter of time before Sanchez becomes Dirty.

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

As of now he is good. Steaky but good. He will be a very good to great QB when he has matured and understands the game at an NFL level. Give him time, he's a 2nd year QB.

7. AlbanyJet

AlbanyJet New Member

I like Sanchez, and think he'll only get better over time. The big question I have about moving up to get him is what was so iffy about Freeman? I clearly remember most of this board being against drafting him. It's easy to second guess now, but he seems to be doing pretty well in Tampa.

8. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

I think hes good. He's made some sick throws.he moves good, and he has a decent arm. For being only in his 2nd year, I think hes going to be bad ass soon.

9. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

this.

and we still get that stupid asshole "FriendlyGiantsFan" who manages to troll Sanchez every post he gets.

10. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

None of these guys are better than Sanchez. McNabb (better than Sanchez a couple years ago but not now. There's a reason Reid traded him within his own division) Webb & Flynn (you have to be joking)

#30 Hot Rod, Jan 1, 2011
  11. even_flow

even_flow New Member

If Sanchez played in Cleveland you would never hear is name.

He'd be the #3

12. potstickas

potstickas New Member

Sanchez currently has slightly above average skills and below average decision making. He has potential to be good but he is going to need a few more years. Remember that he came out of college raw. You have to expect the learning curve is going to be longer than the normal 2 years. 3 min in this case.

13. AJayJay

AJayJay New Member

Webb - After one MNF game you are really going to say that? I guess after Sanchez's first start vs Tenn you we're comparing him to Peyton and Brady. No

Kolb - Might be the best argument but if he was really that good he'd be starting, No

Leftwich - If you hate Sanchez's int's I guess you've never seen Leftwich play, Hell no

Orton - Not even gonna touch this one, Sanchez has more intangibles in his little toe than this guy, No.

McNabb - Maybe in his prime but the guy was a loser. Whenever he was asked to win and lead his team more times than not he failed. One of the reasons he will never and did never win a ring. Those Eagles teams should've made it to the SB more than once. I'll take Sanchez who proven he's got that "it" factor late in games than this loser.
    Were you being sarcastic or are you really that stupid?

#33 AJayJay, Jan 1, 2011
  14. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He's too short.

15. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

He has all the tools, but is still very mistake prone. If you saw Mayock's 5 minute bit on NFLNW, he shows you why.

He has improved at protecting the ball when he feels pressure, that's good. N
    Now he puts two hands on the ball when he tries to escape pressure in the pocket.

He is getting better at looking off a safety and throwing to the other side, as he did on that long pass to Edwards against the Bears. He is getting much better at looking off and checking down at the right time.

On the other hand, the late INT against the Bears was a throw he never should have made... it can't be done against a Tampa 2 defense, and he should know that before he even takes the snap, he tried to force it. People think that safety came out of nowhere, he didn't. As soon as Sanchez moved left, that safety knows to move right. Sanchez should have taken the sack. That pass had no chance.

I hold my breath every time he throws a bubble pass. He started the Bears game with a near pick 6 with that play. He knows what to do, but in the heat of a game, he forgets and makes mistakes, sometimes huge mistakes. He often opens a game on the first drive with an INT or a near INT. He just still seems nervous. He settles down after the first series, but he has to get better at getting into the flow of the game from the start.

Some QB's don't develop past this stage, some do. Will Sanchez? Impossible to predict, but he is still slowly showing improvement.

16. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I think he is the most exciting, and winning QB since Richard Todd. He has won the Most playoff games ever out of any other QB's we have ever had, including Namath. Except Richard Todd. I think if we had receivers that wouldn't drop so many bgalls his stats would be alot better.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think Sanchez has made remarkable progress....considering his lack of experience coming out of college. QBs like Freeman and Bradford have 4 years of starting at the college level to hang their hat on. Sanchez is learning (and succeeding with a few bumps) on the fly.

There's still room to improve, but that's to be expected from a 2nd year QB.

18. jobabrinks

jobabrinks New Member

Right now, Sanchez is definitely in the bottom half of NFL quarterbacks.

In terms of potential, some might laugh, but the quarterback I compare him to most is John Elway. Both are largely inaccurate quarterbacks, who throw a lot of interceptions and don't have great stats, but have mobility and intangibles.

Honestly, I think Elway was a little overrated and I think Sanchez is too.

I will say one thing. Sanchez right now is much more than I expected after watching the first game of the year.

19. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Sanchez has made significant improvements over last year. Still shows signs of happy feet and dumb decisions, but much less than last year. The most impressive thing I've noticed this year is his ability to get avoid the sack and make a play, almost like Roethlisberger does.

Is he good? Yes. Elite? No. Will he be elite? Who knows, but I'm satisfied with his improvement this year.

20. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I think this is a fare analysis. I would say that when the lights are brightest, he shines the most. That's not only a key ingredient to being a great quarterback, but especially important in NY. I'd like to see someone like Josh McDaniels in here to coach him up so he can take the next step.