Looking ahead to Brady...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Dec 29, 2010.

1. capetide

capetide Banned

First of all, it was the 2001 Super Bowl where the Patriots jammed and hit (not hold and grab) the Rams receivers after every catch so there were no penalties.

Secondly, I can see where you would think that since the Jets can't beat the Patriots playing the right way, you might as well do it the wrong way. Here's a thought, maybe Rex, the defensive genius, can come up with a way to stop them. Granted, he couldnt even slow down a mediocre offensive Bears team. Yeah, I guess cheating is the only way.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

i'm not calling for any dirty hits on brady.

just and all out blitz with 8-9 rushers AND no where to throw the ball to.

here's an example of when taking a penatly is acceptable: when a rusher has a free run at the QB and a o-lineman tackels him from behind to save his QB.

here's another one: holding a receiver at the LOS to give your blitzers time to get a clean hit on the QB, hopefully from multiple directions.

3. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

holding recievers at the line of scrimmage and blitzing all others just to get a hit on a guy is foul, no matter how you try to phrase it. you're talking deliberately trying to hurt somebody, not the way sports should be played!

4. Footballgod214

wake up. every time a pas rusher sacks the QB he's trying to deliberately hurt someone, albeit cleanly and within the rules of sacking a QB.

and as far as holding the receivers intentionally at the LOS, DBs grab and hold receivers on almost every play to avoid getting burned.

so just put these two things together and WHAM, brady gets hurt 'cleanly and within the rules of sacking a QB'.

i have no problem with it.

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

You heard wrong. No new rules were implemented.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I know this strategy sounds dirty, but it's within the rules (i guess). I mean you're committing a penalty, but there's no rule saying you can't purposely commit a penalty.

I may be a prick, but I think I'd actually consider employing this tactic the first drive of the game to "tenderize" Brady. I'd combine the too many men on the field with the holding/tackling receivers though. It would cost 7 points, but it may be worth it.

maybe I'm just nuts.

7. Footballgod214

you're not nuts. earlier ppl were talking about just hitting brady 'late' just to hit him. now that's beyond just a penalty, it dirty.

but holding a receiver (also a penalty) so harris and bart can 'introduce themselves' to tom aint so bad.

8. blantyr

blantyr Member

How to do it...

A Patriots Planet regular suggested that the way to stop Brady is to rush 8 guys while double covering all receivers.

The Patriots around 2001 played pass defense very physically. While there were no rules change, there was a change in emphasis. The referees were told in no uncertain terms to enforce the existing rules. The Patriots fans do tend to disparage this as a change intended to favor the Colt's passing attack, but, hey, the Patriots have a passing attack too. The Patriots adapted.

Another question is whether the referees will 'swallow their whistles' during the playoffs. Some crews in some years 'let the players play,' allowing much more physical pass defense than one can get away with in the regular season. It seems that part of the game is scouting the zebras. Some teams will play to what the referees are calling rather than playing to the rules.

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Why can't we just put a bounty on Brady's head, ala 1970's Wild West NFL? Tell Ihedigbo that Woody will pay all fines out of his own pocket, plus lock him up to a sweetheart of a deal.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

heh - it probably wouldn't work for too long though. BB would just instruct Brady to take a knee if he saw the infraction going on.

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

As funny as some of this thread is, I would rather Rex figure out a way to beat Brady without stooping to some bush league bullshit.

12. benhamean

benhamean Member

This started with the NE/Rams Superbowl, but the rule enforcement didn't come into play until the Colts' Polian but all butthurt.

I think rushing 8 or 9 would work one time. After that, NE would spread out, shotgun, leave Crumpler in to block, and dump any pass they wanted over the oncoming rushers.

(Basically, it wouldn't work. Maybe on a young QB who might get bamboozled, but Brady won't).

13. Footballgod214

kenny, on the surface is does seem butch.

but consider rex is one of the few coaches with the balls to call a cover 0 all out blitz.

on this play the DBs (who have the receivers 1/1 with no help in the backfield) are told to jam the receivers at the LOS as long as possible.

really all rex has to do is add 'do not let your receiver get off the LOS, no matter what'.

if a DB like revis can jam his guy for 2.5 seconds, great.

but if DB like coleman gets blown up and receiver is getting past him, well....

14. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

No, this started in the Giants-Bills Superbowl.

15. benhamean

benhamean Member

All roads lead back to Tuna it seems...

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Rex and Sanchez are both 2-2 against Tom and Bill.
    Why the fuck is everyone so scared of the Pats?

Am I the only one on this board that thinks we can beat them? In our second matchup it only looked so bad because the offense was off as well. We scored 34 on the Bears D which is a thousand times better than NE's.

They give up nearly 300 pass yard a game, over a hundred rushing yards a game, and over 20 points. First game we dominated them in the 2nd half. A piss poor gameplan nailed on that Monday night but in no way do I think we can't beat them.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I think the Jets can beat them straight up too. That opinion is difficult to articulate after the huge loss but I still believe it. The Jets aren't that bad and the Pats aren't that good.

18. Footballgod214

^^^yes, but brady is much easier to beat if he's planted a few times. but with his new found 'quick strike' offense, no one can get close to him 'in time'.

but if he's facing an all out blitz with no receiver to throw to, he's gonna git hit. but this is the tought part. with his receivers all running 5 yard slants and out routs there's always someone open to kill the blitz.

so.....if our DB's do their job and ensure no one gets off the LOS using whatever means necessary, then WHAM, 'the brady' goes down hard and the rest of the game gets easier.

even if we only do this a few times deep in NE territory where a 5 yard holding penalty means nothing, it'd be more than worth it to see brady get burried alive.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

What would completely throw off their game is if we dropped almost everyone in coverage and blitzed sparingly.

Put a logjam over the middle and rush 2 guys. lol

We could just about double everyone.

20. mudslinger

mudslinger Banned