Mike Pettine -- what is this guy doing ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Jets Dan

Jets Dan New Member

A lot of the opposition's run schemes (percentage wise) and dump passes (the Houston game being a good example) have been run opposite Calvin...

2. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Obviously, Pace and Taylor aren't enough to get consistent pressure on the QB. That's not Pettine's fault. That also explains why we aren't getting any picks...

3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Another horrible game by the Defense.....Rex gets the blame/credit, but when does MP start getting 1/10th the criticism of Schotty ?

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

The defensive personnel of this team is flawed, they added talent to the secondary while ignoring the deficiencies of the front 7

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sucking....

6. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Pettine did a fine job last year when the Dline was opening up holes for the LBs, which created pressure, which made the DBs jobs much easier.

We need to focus on the Dline in the draft. A big and fast DT is crucial for this D.

7. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I agree that the talent on this D is vastly overrated. Revis is a star and we have a few other solid players like Cro and Harris but aside from that we have a bunch of JAGs and no depth whatsoever in the secondary.

If Wilson turns out to be a bust, it is going to be a real setback.

8. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Terribly called game on d. If cro n revis get beat that's fine but Im tired of seeing coleman and Lowery on key guys. The O finally is putting things together and then this soft zone d is rearing its ugly head. Great first half but you notice were in man and bringing pressure. 2nd half zones with not much blitzes and we get roasted.

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

While everyone was killing Schotty, I felt Pettine was the one who needed to go.

Based on his and Rex's track record, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for this season but if the defense continues to look this horrible next year, he needs to be fired.

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

LOL, have you noticed the personnel on defense sucks and that it's a miracle they are ever able to get off the field on third down?

11. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The defense is ranked 4th in the league. May not be elite or as good as last year but I don't understand how you guys can say it sucks. Passrush is a big weakness but there is a lot of talent on this D. Jets are a couple D-linemen and maybe an OLB from being a terrifying D

12. hazmat

hazmat New Member

In which statistic are they ranked 4th?

The defense is flawed. Any top passing attack will have their way with our defense. They are not one or two players away from being good. The defense needs to be rebuilt.

They have no pass rush whatsoever from the OLB/DE. The middle linebackers are too slow to cover anyone. The secondary outside of Revis and Cromatie is a bunch of jags trying to be coached up.

13. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I thought we were 5th going INTO yesterday's game? Surely giving up 38 points didn't move us up a spot...were all the other teams just that bad yesterday?

14. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

in all fairness, it is very difficult to overhaul BOTH major portions of the defense in one offseason. It was either going to be the secondary or the front 7, and since the secondary was blamed for our playoff loss, that was front and center. I'm sure the focus this year will be the front 7.

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

There is no doubt the personnel is flawed. The sacks generated are coverage sacks created by the secondary.

HOWEVER, the blitzes have been figured out and what were once unpredictable and crazy, have become predictable and manageable by opposing offenses.

16. hazmat

hazmat New Member

They are extremely limited in what they can do. If they rush 4 they have to play man to man and hope the guys can cover long enough. If they play a zone behind the 4 man rush forget about it.

Blitzing 6 or 7 on every third down doesn't work when the opposing team is expecting it. The lack of speed in the back 8 at times is painful. The NFL rules right now are pro passing, I think this is the highest scoring season in the history of the NFL. The Jets have a front 7 that is built on size and stopping the run. Against any type of spread formation this defense struggles.

17. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

4th quarter D was great. cutler didn't complete a pass the entire quarter. its the 3rd quarter where he threw 3 TDs that killed us. We aren't built for a shootout type game

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Listen, not making excuses BUT...

That field was probably the worst I've seen in a few years. Neither team could generate anything that resembled a pass rush. Guys in the secondary were sliding all over the place.

Shit, Digs sprained his knee because of the field.

Plus, it doesn't help when your offense/special teams gives the other team the ball 4 times in their own territory.

The Bears 5 TD drives (in yards): 45, 64, 40, 32, 49

That's a 46 yard average per TD drive.

19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The Santonio fumble and the Brad Smith fumble on the fake punt were both crushing plays.

20. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Total yardage according to NFL.com

You're right it is, and I agree. There is no pass rush but the D is one or two FA moves and a draft away from getting there.

You can't expect JAGs to cover WR for 5 seconds while guys like Cutler and Roethlisberger eat a sandwich in the pocket. Besides, find me a team with stars as their 3rd, 4th, and 5th DB's.

If I had to get players by order of importance:

1. DT
    2. DL
    3. Safety
    4. OLB

You can't just plug Demarcus Ware in as one of our linebackers because there's nowhere to run through since the D-line hasn't generated much of a push/pressure. Great against the run but don't have the physicals to push the pocket and open up lanes for the LB without overloading a side. The way I see it, it's like having an average schmuck and a bodybuilder run through a brick wall. The bodybuilder might break through eventually but if there are no rushing lanes it's hard to expect much. Just look at guys like Ngata or Raji over at GB. They get at the QB and force scrambles/sacks by overpowering the OL at the line of scrimmage. Obviously, that kind of talent doesn't grow on trees but the Jets front 3 are more situational players than anything.