Rex doubts uh oh...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jet Blue, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

/thread

*paranoia filler*

2. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I can buy that......

Rex needs to look in the mirror and do some serious clock management / Sideline coach training this offseason though....

No he won't be the next Bill Bellichik but, the goal should be to be as close as possible.

One complaint I do have is the indecision on the sidelines.... On offense when you have a measurement going on on the field Schott and the coaches should be calling a play ASAP NOT when after them measurement... Little things like that have BB ahead of everyone else.

3. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

the whole point of asking for a measurement on a close spot is to have extra time to make a decision

4. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

I have it on tivo, i watched about 6 times. I get nothing but pumped up every time I watch it. It was a great moment in my opinion, but that's just me.

5. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Tom Brady is Tom Brady because of Belichick. Not the other way around.

6. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Braylon was saying dont second guess it. Rex was leaning towards going for it. It was 1 yard against the toughest run-D in the league, not an easy call.

I watched replay last night on NFL network, and thought it was awesome Braylon was doing that. Panic never even entered my head. I was happy Braylon was confident in the offense.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Wow you really got a hard-on for Bill huh?

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I need Cimini to tell me how to feel about this!

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

C'mon man... I didn't even see the footage we're talking about.

Would you agree that many posters on TGG would have gone ape shit if this thing back-fired and we hadn't gotten that 1 yd?

My problem wasn't that Rex was indecisive... my problem is that he let a player push him into a decision (which is what I understand happened).

I love Rex for many things but there are a couple in which he has A LOT to learn.

1. Clock management (which is something that will be learned with nore HC experience).

2. Leadership on Offense.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Keep telling yourself that.

Bill Belichick is the best coach in the league, but Tom Brady would have success anywhere.

11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Don't go there.....

I thought and still think Herm Edwards is a total ### Clown when it comes to Football and if you ask some people here He made the playoffs so that = Good coach.....

I've seen some real knuckleheads make the playoffs....

I never for a second doubt Rex's Football knowlege and I think he can coach circles around a Herm. Night and Day.

I'm talking about the little things, again, hard not to compare to BB but, it seems like the Pats are all over every little decision and now how to use every second.

12. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Exactly - Make it THEN, not AFTER the ref tells you what you already knew.

13. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

but that makes no sense. why rush into a decision when you don't have to. look if this was 4th and inches at the 50 and rex was waffling i'd be a little more concerned depending on how much time was left (i don't remember how early it was at that point). if he had any indecisiveness it was because he didn't want to risk getting no points at all.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If Jon Gruden was the coach of this team, then I guess we'd all flip out when he asks his staff if they like the call he selected every single time he selects a play.

My story is true.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If you didn't the footage, don't say anything.

Like I said earlier, that decision is on Rex Ryan. If you we go for it and fail, every Jets fan in the world plus the media would be taking shots at Rex Ryan (not Braylon Edwards or Brian Schottenheimer) for making that call.

Braylon Edwards had no say in this. He was pumped up and wanted to beat Pittsburgh - that's all. I have to agree with a few of the other posts in this thread, in that it was a great, almost inspirational moment when Edwards was so adamant that we go for it.

1. Ryan's done a mediocre-at-best job with clock management/use of timeouts. I agree with that.

2. Leadership on offense (and defense) isn't a coach's job. Specific players have to fill those roles. Mark Sanchez, T-Rich, LT, Bart Scott, and Darrelle Revis are leaders. Braylon Edwards showed big time guts/confidence/leadership last Sunday. Players have to step the fuck up for their head coach - lucky for us, we have multiple guys that have done that.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This whole thread is panicky and way off base.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I don't find this situation very assuring in any way. We can make excuses for him about him being a new head coach and what not, but the guy has been around the game for years. I don't know. I'm trying not to let it soil me on Rex. We don't get a lot of sound bytes from the sidelines on situations like this, so maybe there are plenty of times when coaches are on a fence in situations. It is hard to imagine the good ones being there though. We can only hope this is not a regular thing, or is just an aberration of sorts.

18. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

His résumé speaks for itself.

Watch enough Patriots' games (over and over) and you'll understand. It's part of the reason I hate the Patriots so much... you can never fully account for the dynamics of their schemes.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jon Gruden has become the NFL's version of Chris Hansen.

"Hey guys, do you like this fucking play? Hop on my bus, take a seat, and we'll review some film and have an awkward conversation"

20. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Rex has this team going in a great direction, top 5 defense in his first two years here and the offense is headed in the right direction.

Rex came here very raw as a HC and is getting better. Rex had a big impact on Mark's play against the Steelers, he sat with him on multiple days to analyze the Steeler defense.

Belichick has been a HC for 16 years, Rex has been a HC for 2.

Bill didn't even come out of the gates like Rex has, so 14 years from now lets compare the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.