Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

He should have run on 3rd and 2 the drive before as well. We had been moving the ball on the ground that drove and of we didn't get it we could still run off 40 secs then punt. Instead we were incomplete and only ran like 3 secs off before the punt. It worked out, but those extra seconds equal opportunities for an offense like Pitt who was able to expose the secondary as usual.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Schotty called a good game, and called some very good plays at times.

My main problem is we didn't run nearly enough clock off late with the ball. 2nd to last drive, facing a 2nd and 5, moving the ball well at the 32-yardline. Why throw twice??? Run on 2nd down. Play like you're supposed to at that point, make them use time outs. If you need to throw on 3rd down, throw on 3rd down. I liked the 3rd and 3 playcall later. But when you throw 3 incompletions with under 3 minutes left when you're leading, you're giving the other team a chance.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I thought today was a perfect distillation of what makes Schottenheimer so frustrating. There were quite a few really nice play calls today, and most of the calls in general were perfectly fine. But when it came down to doing the obvious thing by running out the clock at the end, three times he couldn't bring himself to do it. He just seems incapable of not trying to show everyone that he's the smartest kid in school, and it came incredibly close to costing the Jets the game today.

4. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

The guy is hit or miss.

He called a great game today, I'm figuring the clock management issues fall on Rex' shoulders.

There were questionable calls played but regardless, the guy finally called a great game.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I have no problem with passing on third down. It was up to the offense to win the game right there, and unfortunately they couln't get it done ... but that would not have been the reason, if we actually lost the game.
    He did the right thing by passing. Why leave it up to the D to hold on if you can bury them with one play right then and there? ... especially when every rule in the NFL favors the offense. I don't understand that way of thinking.
    You have to expect your defense not to give up 25 yards on 3rd and 24 with the goddamn season on the line! That was absolutely ridiculous, and that's the single play that almost cost us the game.

#1545 truthbtold, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I'm not being picky here, Schotty called a good game. Short passes early and move on from there.

Mark threw some beautiful balls today and the receivers made some great plays.

7. FlightBoys

FlightBoys Member

Today he called a good game, he gave sanchez confidence with easy completions.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What ever happened to "TJ run our play" to win a game.

I didn't like it either, and it's the core of the Schotty argument.

He put Sanches in a position to do well, and that's mainly what I ask. But his 3rd down calls and crucial game management skills are severely lacking.

9. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

The clock management was annoying. I didnt like how often we tried to get out of bounds, thats more on the players than the coach. I think we need to consider a few things. We gave Rothlisburger the ball with about five minutes remaining, on their own three yard line. FIRST PLAY, we get a safety. I wont say I dont want the safety but think about that, we get the ball back with lots more time than most people thought to start the drive. People dont seem to realize the time that the Steelers would spend wasting the clock if they had sustained a longer drive, would change how we would handle the clock latter. When we got the ball what did you expect us to do? Bomb it out? Run a couple of high risk plays? No you want short passes, run the ball.

We won by running a very high efficiency offense, if we keep winning like that. So be it. Clock Management is different for every game. We won the game, did I love all of Schottys plays No. But overall it worked, so Im happy

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Like the team Schotty's back was against the wall. I felt he did a great job of mixing things up. The call on 4th down that resulted in the Sanchez TD was as good of a job I have seen on the call and execution by this team in quite a few weeks. Here I was celebrating that Greene got a 1st down and low and behold Sanchez was scampering into the endzone.

The clock management was pretty head scratching but I understand what they were trying to do. Even though the numbers won't tell the story I think this was one of the best games Schott has called in a long time and one of the best games our offense played all season. When this O has their act together we can play with anybody, let's hope this carries over into next week and we can get on a roll going into the playoffs.

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Same.

I was sitting here at my dads and we are both saying ok good he got it and then we realized Sanchez was going for a td. That was brilliantly executed.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Obviously I completely disagree with everything you've said. A coach's job is to maximize his team's chances of winning, and not forcing the other team to take timeouts or use up 45 seconds when there are less than 3 minutes left doesn't do that. The idea that running "leaves it up to the defense" is preposterous. Are you seriously suggesting that the Jets had no chance of getting 5 yards on two running plays or 3 yards on one? But their "high-powered" passing offense run by their very inconsistent second-year QB is a sure thing?

13. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I clapped when I saw that Greene 'got the 1st' and then the camera went to Sanchez in the endzone and I erupted.

When Tomlinson took the snap too for the 1st down, I thought the ball sailed over Marks head.

14. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Thank you! Exactly. That was awful!

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I said I won't harp at Schottenheimer this week - that does NOT mean he played great game. Consider this: the offense, with all the feel-good stories and patting in the back, scored but 13 points. True, the went up against the vaunted Steeler's defense, but you shouldn't expect to win any ball game with paltry 13 point production under any circumstances. I will just leave it at that for now, as I said I would.

2. The defense needs some work over the secondaries, obviously.

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'll be picky, I nearly put a chair through my friend's TV when we called a passing play on third down with the Steelers down to one timeout.

Aside from that, great calls by Schottenheimer today.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Totally agree there which is why I only see this as a step in the right direction. Next week we need to see the same level of execution and rhythm in the play calling. Points will come if they can build on what we saw today.

18. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Let me preface this by saying I don't care about Schotty one way or the other......

I think he did a terrific job today. Yes, I am aware of certain game management gaffs this game but I am overlooking them. Here is why:

He looked at all the fuckups and terrible play calling on 2nd and third down and changed everything. He did not put Sanchez in any really horrible spots,. A persistent problem Schotty has created over the last few games. He simplified everything, got the offense into a rhythm, Sanchez especially.

It's not easy to change your bad play calling habits midstream and create a gameplan for a badly slumping sophomore QB that looked like he had all the confidence drained from him.

I think taking Schotty's coaching in totality he was great today. If he had a gameplan like this against the Fins that game isn't really close. The jets played arguably the most sound physical defense in the league and looked ok. That is a huge step in the right direction.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

(1) I understand about running the ball and taking time off the clock, but if the Steelers stack the line and dare Sanchez to run the ball and we get 1 yard on 2 runs, how many of you are saying "why didn't they throw the ball?"

(2) We ran OK early, but stalled as the game went on.

(3) The Steelers had 9 men up front late and I think trying short-passes was the right strategy. It's not like they tried to get 20-30 yards.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Good win today...but i want to win consistently ....Schotty still needs to be fired.