I'm not convinced the guy tripped the Dolphins player (Suspended W/O Pay For Season)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaZeus, Dec 12, 2010.

1. mystikol

mystikol New Member

This thread's really bringing out the top posters lulz

Rescinded due to Westhoff's alleged presser comments taken in context.

#401 mystikol, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I agree! Anyone who thinks standing in a line on your sideline is wrong is clearly the same type of person unwilling to forgive Michael Vick!

3. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

here you are wrong "The tarp was left off the field of the Orange Bowl during a 72 hour rainstorm leading up to the game" and the NFL rules say the field should be covered on the day and night before a game if there is any chance of precipitation. and yes the snow plow game was cheating. Just not active just like the players standing on the sideline.
    Now your 'The option is called having the "home field advantage." It's the home team's decision. Just the same as when Miami wears their white (visiting) uniforms when dark colored teams (Raiders, Bears, Pittsburgh, etc etc) are visiting them in September." Is not the same as not covering the field, or video taping so let's not muddy the water with that.
    By the way Iron that weather rule has been in place for years. Re-sodding the field while cheap way to slow down a team is not illegal, the same way NE was called out for letting field ice over before a game against the colts in 2005 the tarp rule was there then and cited by the Colts.
    Sorry we can agree to disagree but cheating is a violation of the rules in place standing on the sidelines is not a violation, but to do with the intent to hurt someone I agree is cheating but the dude got a muscle cramp he is not crippled. everyone here is making a mountain out of mole hill when there are bigger issues in place.
    Personally I only wish they would have gotten Crowder

#403 flajetfanson, Dec 15, 2010
  4. Ironforce

Ironforce Banned

Ah, I didn't know about the tarp rule. That may be true, I don't know. Nonetheless..... You have no more proof Shula ordered the tarp removed than anybody has proof that Rex Ryan was somehow involved in the tripping incident.

From the Miami Herald on the issue (believe what you want):

Another game Jets fans and media speak much about is the 1983 AFC title game. Dolphins 14, Jets zippo. In typical New York fashion, this loss has been rationalized and blamed on, of all people, Shula. I'm not making this stuff up.

Google "Jets and tarp and Shula" and you'll get a ton of articles, including one in the Newark Star-Ledger, in which an otherwise respected journalist claims Shula ordered the grounds crew at the Orange Bowl not to place the tarp on the field on a day it was raining in Miami in order to give the Dolphins an advantage.

Aside from how stupid that sounds based on the fact it means it was raining on ground the Dolphins as well as the Jets were using, I actually decided to do what journalists used to do, and go to a source on the topic to find out the truth.

"That's an insult to my intelligence," Shula told me moments ago when I asked if he ordered the tarp in the Orange Bowl not to be used on the field. "If there was ever a coach that wanted to play a game on a fast track, I was that guy. I've heard of the Jets accusing us of not putting the tarp on the field or some nonsense like that but it's ridiculous.

"I did a radio show where they asked me about that and one of the hosts was obviously a Jets fan and he said I did that. I told him, 'You've got to be stupid to think I would something like that.' I like playing a game in the best possible conditions. It's the truer test for both teams."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...shula-jets-tarp-accusations-are-nonsense.html

#404 Ironforce, Dec 15, 2010
  5. capetide

capetide Banned

He not only sounds stupid,,,,,,He's obviously lying.....One second he never looked at other sidelines then next he says he's seen alot of teams do the same thing all the time..One minute he received phone call next he made the phone call....Not only trying to save his own skin, he's trying to point his finger at others. Jets organization should be real proud. :)

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Right because video recording hasn't been invented yet so the only way that Westhoff could possibly have seen what other teams are doing on the sidelines is by seeing it live during the actual kick.:breakdance:

#406 AbdulSalam, Dec 15, 2010
  7. Ironforce

Ironforce Banned

My understanding was that Westhoff did some research (film studying) after the Miami game and saw that New England was guilty of this practice as well.

I've always liked Westhoff and wish the Phins had never lost him. I think he's the best active special teams coach (and maybe in history).

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

and where did all these dollfag and patsy fans come from? the mudd bowl was bush league just like the guys standing on the sideline. i see no difference, they are both attempts to gain a competitive advantage by doing something uncalled for.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Mike Westhoff invented the damn thing.

10. Ironforce

Ironforce Banned

"Dolfag" fans? What? Are you in middle school?

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its dollfag not dolfag.

12. mystikol

mystikol New Member

Rescinded because Cimini's an idiot.

#412 mystikol, Dec 15, 2010
  13. Ironforce

Ironforce Banned

It's probably the first time he was specifically looking for "the wall" line-up.

14. Ironforce

Ironforce Banned

Try having a mature discussion.

15. mystikol

mystikol New Member

Cimini's a fat idiot.

#415 mystikol, Dec 15, 2010
  16. Daphins

Daphins New Member

Nah, not stupid. I don't get the big deal about the wall either. It's benefits are questionable, and it's pretty lame but it's not a huge deal IMO. I'm sure all teams do it.

I do think it brings up some questions as to what happens in certain scenarios. What if your guys push a gunner into the wall? Do they have to yield the ground? I'd say it's their responsibility to get out of the way. And if not, then who's responsibility is it to get out of the way, and when?

It's not a big deal, but it does have potential to open a can of worms I guess. It's best to not have players forming a wall when guys going full speed on the field could hit them.

That's a hindsight POV though. This is small brand and needs to go away. Define the rules so we all know from here on out and let it be.

The denial by your staff is super lame though. No way the S&C coach planned this whole thing. Making him a fallboy sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Leave it to ESPN to hire a guy who hates the Jets to be their "Jets" guy. Cimini is worthless.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

These two were really funny to read one after another.

19. mystikol

mystikol New Member

heh. I rescinded 3 posts, but I didn't know what to say, and I figured that was as good as anything else.

20. Adventitia

Adventitia Member

I thought that taping the sidelines was cheating! :smile: