Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I was hoping the Jets would go after Hue Jackson (OC for the Raiders).....Jackson's been able to coach that offense to score points and win games, is nothing short of godly. He's made something out of Campbell and turned McFadden into a serious threat. IIRC, I believe Rex wanted Hue to be his OC when he came over to the Jets if Schotty was going to leave.

Also....it could happen...as there's supposed animosity brewing between Cable and Jackson out in Oakland (Cable is denying it...no surprise there).....granted, this article is from PFT.....but it doesn't mean I can't hope

Link to article

2. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

Anyone who thinks Sanchez does not share some of the blame is crazy, BUT, I am so fckng sick of hearing about how this is an executing problem.....

Look at the Big Bad Wolf.

If you ask him to blow down the house made of straw, no problem, he huffs and he puffs and he blows the house down.

Good plan, well executed. Everyone is happy, nobody really likes pigs anyway, except to eat.

Now you ask him to blow down a house made of sticks, again, no problem.

Good plan, well executed.

Now, ask him to blow down a house made of brick......

Just as he did before, he huffs and puffs, but the house does not come down.

Poor plan, good execution.

Nobody is happy because nobody is eating any pig, and everybody is hungry.

Now, ask a QB to throw to a wide open WR, good plan, it comes down to execution.

Ask an O-line to block more guys than they have, it's like trying to blow down the brick house.

Ask a QB to throw into tight windows, with poorly designed plays that setup the defense to have 3-4 guys in the same area, you better be blowing the house down with a nuclear bomb.

There have been times when Sanchez has not executed properly, no doubt at all. There are passes he has thrown that have been bad.

BUT, most QB's do this, even the best of them.

The problem is they are constantly asking him to blow down a brick house.

When I watch Brady play, he is constantly throwing to WIDE OPEN Receivers, I mean WIDE OPEN.

He is blowing down the straw house.

Some of them I could hit the WR in stride, and I was a linebacker with no arm.

Sanchez is in his 2nd fckng year, 2nd!

He is going to execute poorly at times.

That should be EXPECTED.

That said, it is up to the coaching staff to put him in front of straw houses, and not brick houses.

This coaching staff is constantly putting him in front of brick houses, and then when the house does not fall down, people want to say he sucks.

This offense has looked mostly the same with Pennington, Favre, and now Sanchez.

At some point, you have to realize the coaching staff is not giving them straw houses to blow down, they are giving the QB brick houses to blow down.

3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Hell of an analogy. I couldn't agree more.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

please please please please please get Rex's guy in here.

He wants to run an offense the way the offense is supposed to run, and he's made complete garbage look good in Oakland.

I hope the Raiders fire him and Schotty goes away and he comes here. I'm done with Schotty.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That would be a nice fit.

I can't believe the Raiders haven't won more than 6 since 02.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Exactly.

Look at the way Bradford has been treated by the Rams. They are giving him small reads for short, smart, decisive reads and throws and he's thriving.

What happened to short, smart, and decisive? When Sanchez is decisive with his throws, he looks like a top 10 QB. Put him in more situations where he can be decisive.

Schotty has done a shit job preparing these guys for gameday. Its prevalent in how they play. If they were prepared, the execution would be better. One aspect we don't discuss is how things might being going during the week. Its either the whole week is shit or its a great week and gameday is shit. I don't know. But I do know that I have no confidence in the OC to get things squared away.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

complete garbage? They have decent QBs, a RB that is playing like one of the best in the game, a decent OL, decent WRs, good TE. they have plenty of talent out there and they have been as inconsistent as we have been but w/ veteran QBs and not an inexperienced one like we have.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

All I know is that when Rex appoints a coordinator, he's pretty good at his job.

I want to see what someone else can do, and Jackson knows QBs. He won't fuck up Sanchez, he'll help him.

What he's done in Oakland this year has been impressive, because they don't have much on offense.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

For what that offense is overall, they're overachieving.

With the talent this offense has comparatively, I would love to see what he can do.

10. MadBacker Prime

You said decent across the board, imagine what he could do with our talent.

11. nyjunc

Bradford was a more experienced guy coming in and his ceiling is much higher than Mark's. They also play in a joke of a dvision w/ more than half their games in domes. SL has scored more than 20 pts twice this year, the Jets scored more tha 20 eight times last year w/ Mark as a rookie in 15 games.

12. nyjunc

but we also play in a tougher division and have an inexperienced QB. Right now the best player on either O is McFadden too. brian is running an O and developing a QB at the same time, it's not easy and when guys can't catch, cna't run and can't block how is the QB supposed to have success?

13. nyjunc

This O is scratching the surface w/ a young QB. As he develops if we can keep this group mostly together we will have a true big time offense.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Another problem with Shittenheimer's offense is that the execution on every play has to be like exactly perfect or it isn't going to work. There is no margin for error because of the way all the routes and pretty much the whole offense is designed.

Everything is based on timing, thinking, pin point precision, etc. He doesn't put his young inexperienced qb in a position to succeed and make things easy for him. Last year Sanchez was at his best when throwing short safe throws, and rolling out off play actions. Yet for some reason, those types of plays have been eliminated from the playbook. Probably because those are considered "simple and easy" and don't give Shittenheimer the chance to display his brilliance and superior x's and o's.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes.

16. MadBacker Prime

Can't argue that, but is that on the coaching?

Why was our line so dominant last year and now it looks like swiss cheese at times. This was when Woody was healthy too.

All the drops are crazy though, that can not be explained.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Oh sweet Jesus.

The body of work is out there.

Favre never threw more than 300 yards when he was with the Jets. The same Favre that torched up the league next season at the age of 40.

Pennington, who never had thrown an INT in the red zone before, had thrown a lot when he was with Schotty. Even during that miracle 10-6 season, Pennington was barely 17-16 when it came to TD/INT ratio.

Kellen Clemens, a rather highly regarded 2nd rounder out of Oregon, has turned into a career backup under Schotty's tutelage, when the likes of Matt Cassel, who had NEVER started at ANY level, was drafted in the 7th round, but then made into a quarterbacking material.

Ok. Chad did have highest completion rating in the history of NFL. Where did that lead? You know what's funny? Actually it's becoming more clear now that Pennington is thrown into the fray; During the disastrous 4-12 campaign, Pennington was being bitched as a QB with no arm - and for a good reason. He couldn't throw to his WRs running in out pattern. My point? Schotty's play design even back then didn't make use of the talents his WRs had. Instead it revolved around forcing the ball into tight windows, or tricking the defenses into the wrong coverage. The defense was loading up the box like never before; even more so than they do these days, as the defense knew Chad had no arm. What's funny is, even during that season, Pennington actually connected to Coles for a beautiful 50+ yard TD against the Bengals. This was from a very well executed play-action fake. So did Schotty use that option later on? You can bet your ass the playaction disappeared from the Jets arsenal.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Quite possibly, it is Mark Sanchez shitting the bed. I won't rule that chance out. But the body of work is out there - three QBs before him sucked to no end. Either all three QBs had no business being in the NFL, or Schotty's play design is doomed to failure. Between three unrelated guys having problem being an NFL QB and one guy being a clueless idiot, I will go with the one guy.

18. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's nice.

I'm talking about scheme and what he's being asked to do. Rollouts, small reads, plays that don't take forever to develop. Confidence building passing plays. Things that the Jets did in January.

Bradford doesn't have pro bowl WRs and his line isn't as good.

Things that don't show up in the stat column are what I'm talking about.

19. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Don't believe a word a coach or GM says in public, they lie about what they think all the time because airing dirty laundry almost never helps a team win. Even if Rex thinks Schotty is terrible, he's probably better off praising him in public to avoid creating a distraction.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Its as if January didn't happen.

I don't get it either. I know Sanchez appears as if he can take on more in terms of complexity, but he shouldn't have full range of plays until he's in his 4th year. He's a totally different case as a QB and must be given the Roethlisberger treatment. You don't throw the ball over 30 times a game until your 4th season.