Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The #s don't bear that out, only 3 games all year have we scored more in the first half than the 2nd half. lately we are in a game wide funk where we aren't doing anything in the 1st or 2nd half but overall for the season we have scored 112 in the 1st half and 145 in the 2nd half.

2. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

i agree with all this...less so with number 6 cuz it takes a bit too long to develop. but essentially this is exactly what the jets need to do. let the athletes play. fuck all the clever plays.

3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Schotty believes that part of the field does not exist.

We almost never work in the flats.

4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I've been posting on here "defending" Schotty but alot of you guys are making sense to me. I'm almost always of the opinion that 80% is on the players and 20% is on the coaching, and I still think our guys need to dig down and play better ... BUT ---

The fact is we have one of the most innacurate QB's in the league. Like I've been saying over and over again, it's next to impossible to keep the chains moving if your QB can't complete 60% of his passes. So, that being the case, what we should be doing is run, run, run, and then play-action and look for something downfield. That philosophy works better with our personnel, and I do blame Schotty for not seeing that. He's trying to run an offense that doens't work well with our QB.

If you want to run all these short slants, and quick outs your QB better hit the receiver between the 8 and 9 on his shirt (see Tom Brady) but Sanchez almost never does that. You can't move the chains this way when guys are reaching all over the place in traffic. It doesn't work. Too many incompletions and stalled drives. That's why we suck in the Red Zone ... trying to squeeze passes into a smaller area with a QB who's all over the place.

We need to play in the style of the old Steelers or Raiders, or Favre's Packers who always took shots down the field. I'm not saying we have Swann and Stallworth, but I am saying that our QB is very innacurate like Bradshaw was, and we have a few guys who can go down the field and make plays.

You can't sustain drives by passing short from the pocket with this QB, so you might as well run as well as you can, and look for big strikes in the passing game. IMHO.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I've been saying it all along - Schotty's vision of an offense is not what works with the personnel on this team. His philosophy is anti-Rex and it doesn't work here.

Sanchez's lack of experience calls for a run heavy offense with passing routes that do not take time to develop and are easy reads.

Once he's in his 4th or 5th year, then the offense can be opened up. That's what the Steelers did with Roethlisberger and it worked. They need to do the same with Mark.

6. Hobbes3259

What games are you watching?

Our passing game is almost entirely vertical. That's precisely why his comp% sucks.

FCOL, on 3rd and 3 in the first offensive series, he put out 4 wide, sent two vertical sat one down on the left, had sanchez take a 3step drop (From the shotgun) and try to force an out route to JCo, that took 4 seconds to develop.

That's Schottyballs Idea of a short quick pass.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If there is one thing I'm sick over, its shotgun on 3rd and short.

I don't get why in the blue fuck Sanchez under center is a foreign concept on 3rd and short.

But having the defenses know you're passing on 3rd and short is way better. Let them get after your franchise QB. Awesome!

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I don't feel like arguing or defending anything other the fact that you are being pretty dishonest with this 4 second route thing. The play starts at 13:38 with the snap of the ball. Sanchez lets the ball go at 13:36 and after the ball falls incomplete the clock is at 13:34. The play took 4 seconds to run, the route didn't take four seconds to develop.

9. truthbtold

Vertical? Maybe we have different definitions, but to me there's nothing vertical about our offense. Almost every pass is a short slant or a sideline pattern. That's not vertical. I'm talking about stretching the field. Vertical is Aaron Rodgers to Jennings, or Roethisberger to Wallace, or Vick to Jackson. We almost never throw downfield and test the secondary. Half of our passes hit linebackers in the hands. When was the last time we threw 5 or 6 passes downfield to Edwards or Holmes?

#1309 truthbtold, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  10. Hobbes3259

I was in front of the TV when I typed it out.

To me it looks like the Ball is snapped at 13:39 but in either case assuming your timekeeping... 13:38 he's taking a 3 step drop...13:36 he delivers the ball, Cotchery is still running to the spot, and the moronic route is what allows the defender to come underneath.

(Which pretty much makes the route 4 seconds, Sanchez is throwing to JCo just past the stick.)

In either case, that's a pretty long way to go for 3 yards.

(BTW...since you brought it up...did you see the absolute lack of utility by the RB on the play?)

As the poster above observed, with Mark in the Gun, and dropping back, instead of being under center, the pocket moves and LT is pretty much trapped to running parallel to Sanchez giving him a great option for a loss of 7.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That is exactly it... his gameplans look like he has no confidence in his offense so rather then play aggresive on offense they try and outsmart the defense. I could handle the mistakes and turnovers if we attacked a D as opposed to try and sneak around them.

I once had this coach who everybody loved playing for because he didn't care how much better the other team was he always challenged them to beat us. His philosophy was you may win the game but we're not backing down to you and we would punch those guys in their mouths and let them respond. Sometimes we won and sometimes our QB threw 3 INTs but we always told the other team if you wanna beat us you have to stop us because we're just gonna keep going after you.

12. truthbtold

I really don't think his inaccuracy is do to the playcalling. If you watch the games (and obviously you do) you have to see that there are multiple instances in each game where the protection is fine, but he still misses guys by alarming margins ... even if the separation is there. I just don't think he's an accurate passer (yet).

#1312 truthbtold, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  13. Hobbes3259

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20101...:analyze/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

10 according to game center.

Though we are probably miscommunicating a bit as well.

My main complaint is the lack of a short passing game, to keep the QB in rhythm....

No use of the Flats, or traditional short passes close up.

Between the Moronic Out patterns that force him to go outside the numbers, and long WR screens with inadequate blocking, it's as if the flats never existed.

see UKK's breakdown of what constitutes a short pattern in rebuttal to my assertion of a 4 second route on 3rd and 3.

14. nyjunc

My biggest complaint isn't the routes or where the passes are going, it's a word you used in your post- RHYTHM. We need to get the plays in quicker to get into a rhythm, far too often he's getting to the line late in the play clock and by the time we snap it we are starting to hurry. get the plays called quicker, get to the line quicker and snap the ball quicker. The O needs a rhythm, I believe that is our biggest problem on O.

15. nyjunc

I disagree, of course there are times he msises guys but for the most part he is a pretty accurate passer. he just takes too many shots downfield which in theory should help open up the shorter passing game but we are not taking advantage of that.

16. truthbtold

I don't know ... I guess we'll disagree.
    I just know while I'm watching the game I seem to always be saying things like ... "a little behind hm" ... "too high" ... "he was open" ... "where was that going??" :grin:

17. Hobbes3259

He's clearly good for 4 or 5 of those a game, but most guys are.

Especially 'a little behind him'....

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

My biggest complaint is the complete lack of execution from seemingly every player on the offense for entire games! I don't even understand how it happens. I could understand if it were one guy here or there but when it's the entire unit I have to point at the coordinator and say WTF MCFLY?

19. nyjunc

There is alot of blame to go around, the OC, QB, OL, RBs, WRs, TEs. We have so much talent on both sides of the ball, I just want to see what it would look like if all phases clicked for a game.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Yes how many times do you see us get up to the line with only 5 seconds on the play clock? That pisses me off. I think it was the Browns game, we recovered a fumble inside Folk's range and before we ever run a play we get a delay of game. Of course Folk missed a FG to boot.