Not firing Alosi makes NYJ=Raiders East?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Donttasemebro, Dec 14, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Get the facts straight OP before calling to end a guys livelihood..

"There's no glossing over what Jets strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi did on the sideline in the third quarter of Sunday's 10-6 loss to the Dolphins. By sticking out his left knee and causing Nolan Carroll to trip and fall, he committed an inexcusable act, and the punishment handed down Monday was justified.

The Jets suspended Alosi without pay for the remainder of the season and fined him $25,000. It was a strong message for an action that even Alosi was unable to adequately explain Monday, saying he couldn't "give a logical explanation for an illogical act."

Was firing him the way to go, as many fans and some in the media demanded? I don't believe so; Alosi reacted in the heat of the moment, made a major mistake and was sufficiently punished.

FROM THE ARCHIVES: 1999 story, "Sal Alosi one of eight students charged with fighting over a woman" http://www.newsday.com/news/8-students-charged-with-fighting-over-a-woman-1.357227

Besides, as I discovered, Alosi is hardly the first to initiate contact with players running down the field on punt coverage - commonly called "gunners" or "fliers." Two Jets who have played the position said contact is initiated by people standing on the sidelines, whether they be players, coaches or staff members, on a fairly regular basis.
    "My first two years in the league [2004-05], I ran down to cover punts, and when you're running down the sideline, it's not like everyone standing there is saying, 'Whoa. A flyer is coming through,' '' Jerricho Cotchery said. "I've been involved in instances where guys stuck out an arm and stuff like that."
    Cotchery said there were occasions when he came into contact with someone on the sideline and fell, although he never was injured. He also never was tripped; most of the contact was from a player, coach or team official throwing an elbow or leaning a shoulder into him. And Cotchery never complained.
    Carroll didn't complain after Alosi tripped him, although several Miami teammates and coaches ripped Alosi. Carroll called it "water off a duck's back."
    Cotchery said it long has been accepted as part of the game.
    "I just know from my experience that when you're running down there, you bump into somebody, and they're pushing you off," Cotchery said. "It was never really a big deal."
    Jets kick returner Brad Smith said he was jostled by people on the sideline when he played on the outside on punt returns.
    "When you run out of bounds, you're going to get hit," he said. "They'll bump you, they'll get in the way. It just so happens this incident got caught on film, but it happens all the time."
    Even general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who announced Alosi's punishment last night, said he hadn't realized the extent of contact on the sidelines with players covering punts.
    "I learned some of the nuances about that today, that apparently some of these things go on," Tannenbaum said. "I don't want to condone what Sal did, because he was wrong."

Jets coach Rex Ryan acknowledged there is occasional contact on the sidelines but believes it is more a function of people trying to protect themselves from any collisions.

"I've seen coaches get crushed on the sidelines," Ryan said. "It's where I've got to protect myself or I'll get hurt, but it never seems intentional."
    Alosi's actions sure seemed intentional, even if Ryan insisted that neither he nor special-teams coach Mike Westhoff tells the staff to behave that way.
    Now it would be a good idea for the NFL to redouble its efforts to make sure that what appears to be a common practice is better policed to ensure that something like this never happens again."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...action-inexcusable-but-not-uncommon-1.2540083

Click the link in the middle of the article just tells what kind of man Alosi is. It was a bonehead move, but being suspended and fined he set to lose out on $65,000 including the playoffs. That's a huge chunk of change for him.

2. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

Does that really matter? It was still pretty stupid and classless to trip a player.

BTW, I thought the fine was too stiff for the crime.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Yes, not firing a conditioning coach makes the Jets the Raiders.

/sarcasm.

4. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

@Madbacker
    I get what you're saying and i respect your opinion but i'm far from the only one who thought he should be fired. And if his livelihood is a concern he should be thinking of that instead of whatever "heat of the moment" a strength and conditioning coach may be feeling on game day. I think they missed an opportunity to establish (in an admittedly small way) that this isn't a case of the inmates running the asylum.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Francessa thought he should've been right?

Admit it, you're a Francessa listener?

6. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

lol...not at all. Hate the fat fuck.

edit: i have no idea what that asshole had to say about it.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He bumped a guy who was not on the field of play. He apologized for it immediately. He has been suspended for the rest of the season w/o pay and fined 25K. If you think he should have been fired - thats up to you, but Woody disagrees w/you and he owns the team.

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

after being caught they went undefeated, they are winning w/ averag talent around the QB annihilating supposed big time teams this year. Their SBs are not tainted.

Doctoring the cap and fitting in better players can help as much, if not more than, filming a walkthrough.

9. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

You have no idea what you're talking about.

First off, the rep was already there and has been since Rex came to town. I don't believe it but hey it is what it is.

Second, the guy is a great Strength and Conditioning coach. He's done a wonderful job and to fire him would be lame. Suspension without pay is a hefty enough fine for a family man. It will allow us to retain his services after the season and possibly during the playoffs (I don't know how that part works).

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Welcome Back bro! :beer:

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Hey if somebody doesn't want to be a Jets fan b/c Sal Alosi wasn't fired but was instead suspended for the rest of the season and fined 25K - thats your choice. Why would I bother to try to change your mind?

12. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Thanks man... I don't know if I could have handled being out until the day after the Bills game, it was getting rough.

13. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

welcome back pats hater maybe we will win games now with supreme karma

14. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Who cares. Ridiculous how people are still talking about this story. He is suspended for the year. How would you feel if you made a big mistake and you had everyone wanting you to be fired? Leave this thing to rest. There are more concerns with this franchise at the moment...

15. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Thanks, lol at Alosi av....... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

16. grayburn

grayburn Member

Which is exactly why Alosi should have been fired.

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

you worry too much about what some other people think.

18. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Vanity.... Who needs it?

19. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

i don't think worrying about what some nutty fans might think is a reason to fire a person.

20. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

I agree with you. We are talking about a man's livelihood here.