Why do we limit our biggest offensive threat? Shonne Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Oasis, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Oasis

Oasis Member

I just don't get it. At the end of last season Shonn Greene was the best player on our offense.

Week 16 @ IND - 5.9 yds/carry
    Week 17 vs. CIN - 4.8
    Week 18 @ CIN - 6.4 , on 21 carries
    Week 19 @ SD- 5.6 , on 23 carries
    Week 20 @ IND - 4.1 (then injured, which was a huge reason for the offensive collapse)

So what does Shotty do? Come into the next season and completely limit all of Greene's potential. Gives him less than 20 carries in 11 of our 13 games, and 10 carries or less in 7 of these games.

This season (other than week 1) Greene has been great when given the chance. You can see in his carries almost everytime- he break tackles and moves the pile. He still averages plenty of yards/carry. But this year it seems like any time Greene gets going, they either pull him out or change up the gameplan and start passing.

There's no better time to change this dumb tendency of ours. The Jets need to get back to their old identity. Ground n pound offense supported by their solid defense. This also opens up the play-action. If we did this yesterday, the way our defense played, we would've won. I know we'll be playing some tough defenses in PIT and CHI but if we don't get Greene going now I don't know when he ever will.

(I know this gets said very often, but I feel that is one of the Jets largest issues and could merit its own thread. If not, please excuse me and merge)

2. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Because giving the ball to our young stud RB doesn't show off enough of schottenheimer's "creative genius" as an OC?

or how about simply because the dipshit only got his job through nepotism and doesn't have 25% of the ability required to be an effective OC?

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Cus he doesn't exist

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

It's probably because of his tendency to fumble. And like someone said above, running your powerful RB who carried the team through the playoffs last year and proved he can do it doesn't allow Shittenheimer to show off his genius game plans and make everyone ooh and ahh about his brilliance.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Probably because our offensive line isn't performing anywhere near the level it was last year at this time (not even close). Oh, and he left the game with an injury, again.

6. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Honestly, I'm not sure the Greene is as good as you guys were expecting coming out of last season... your O-line certainly isn't

Without looking up any stats, Indy's run defense has traditionally been complete garbage. If I remember right, SD's defense was banged up and underachieving last year. Cincy (might have?) had a good run defense, but bottom line is that 5 games is a small sample size (look at LT in his first 5 in NY) and you guys had O-line and blocking that anyone could run behind last year.

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea I agree that our O line was the reason for our success but now that it is banged up they are struggeling to run. People give the RBs too much credit sometimes. If the O line doesnt open holes it doesnt matter who you have in the backfield.

8. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

c mon man, in the midst of that beat down you handed us last week, Greene was a battering ram that no one on your team could tackle before he gained 5 yards in the very few carries he received.......not saying anything would have changed the outcome of that game, but our OC doesn't utilize this guys talent enough........if you going to call off tackle runs on first down every damn drive, at least put it in the guys hands that might potentially run over and through a few people and rip off a big gainer

9. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

every RB needs an offensive line to play well. the offensive line isn't playing well, therefore the RB's will struggle to find holes. shonn greene is a michael turner type back.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Rex and the Jets are so good they are hustling the rest of the league to believe they suck.

Yes, I absolutely believe above.

11. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Did you see the Jets run blocking yesterday? How can you honestly say that you wanted more Greene after watching that clusterfuck?

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ryan himself noted that the Jets were only picking up 2.8 a carry, and Greene was even worse than that. You pick up 17 yards in 8 carries, why do you think you should get the ball more, with the team down and not moving when they give it to you?

I would love to think Greene is a Pro Bowl type talent. But if he is, if he ends up being that, he's not shown he is yet.

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Ok.

I just think that some of you (maybe not you in particular) need to realize that a running back having success behind a great line and a running back who carries his team are two different things.

Your running game isn't as dominant as it was last year (regardless of what yardage and ypc stats may indicate), and I don't think that is entirely Schotty's fault.

Green may be a productive back, but he is certainly no AP or Peyton Hillis, and honestly I think most defensive coordinators feel that they could shut down your running game if both sides committed to it.

14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I agree with the OP...Greene is a guy that needs 15 carries, minimum, to really wear on the defense. The split (18 to 8?) is not nearly good enough. It should be 50/50. In effect, Schotty had handcuffed BOTH of our RBs this year:

1. Ran LT too much, too early, effectively wearing him out.
    2. Not using Greene enough. Ideally, I would like each guy to get 15 carries, but with LT wearing down, I'd go 20 to 10 in Greene's direction. I'd even give McKnight some touches.

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Agree with the above.. Greene is not suited to be just a change of pace type RB. He needs 15+ carries to wear on the defense and be effective. Unfortunately, the O can't pick up first downs, the run game is completely telegraphed and we run on every single 1st down, and Greene fumbles too much.

16. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

I didn't neccessarily disagree with using LT as much ealrier in the year when he was clearly the hot hand.....however, it' been very clear since i don't know exactly , maybe week 7 or 8, that he was already burned out. The transition to Greene should have started then. He;s still the starting/featured back and thats the mistake, Greene was even better catching the ball out of the backfield yesterday.

What his status anyway? Sanchez almost got him killed yesterday on that one play

17. Professor Frink

There are a few problems here

1. How much a threat is Greene running behind this O line? Not much

2. When you put him in there, you have to take out LT, who is one of the most important players in your passing game

3. Greene can't catch or block for shit. On passing plays it's like you are playing 10 vs 11, and defenses know it.

4. He fumbles

18. HOI

HOI Active Member

because he's inactive

19. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

this one.

10 characters