1986 parallel to now.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nope sorry the downfall or spiral as you call it began the day after they won SB3 01/13/69 to be exact. :jets:

#181 championjets69, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  2. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, because of Rex's personality...(which I and many other fans love btw), his haters are going to kill him if we do miss the play-offs.

I think a big problem with NY fans and media is that it can never be better than 50-50 for the Jets,
    and many times, esp w/the giants fans, you've get as many or more people hoping for the Jets to do poorly than hoping to do well.

Its hard for a team like the Jets or Mets to draw inner confidence to overcome adversity when you've got so many nay-sayers in your own back-yard. Do you think that the Pats evr have to worry about half of the community rooting against them?

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Joe Walton stayed two years longer than any reasonable person would have gotten rid of him.

86 may not have been the worst season record wise, and of course it wasn't, but it was the most disappointing season ever, after getting everyone's hopes up, to fail like that was a monumental downfall, and it led directly to a long decline that only Parcells's arrival turned around.

4. Big Blocker

Ftr I don't know any Giant fans who root against the Jets. The Jets do not even play in their conference. aI am not saying they are not out there. I just don't know any. Or maybe the ones I know are too afraid I will beat the crap out of them if they diss the Jets.

Yeah, maybe that's it.

5. championjets69

H'mm doubtful that the fans play the game. The last I looked it is the coaches who devise the schemes & he players who are supposed to implement those schemes. If you are a NYJ fan for 41 years you should surely know that. Yes because of winning NOTHING since 01/13/69 the NYJs are always going to be doubted until they pony up to the VLT a few more times then just SB 3 :jets:

6. Endlessly Counting

Well, you may be right (Ha ha!)

I just think that that idea didn't start to take hold until around '86

For the first pat of the 70s, the Jets got a lot of bounce from SBIII, and with Namath around, the press and fans were not so negative.

From 75-77 , the Jets had thre straight 3-11 seasons and sort of dropped off the radar screen.

They bounced back from 78-79 to 8-8 with promise. So '80s 4-12 season might've been the first sign of the modern day disappointment that we know.

Big rebounds in '81 & '82, they might've even been the more popular team in NYC. Of course the '82 AFC championship loss and the strange firing of Walt Michaels, coupled with the Giants rise to prominence, did change all that, but after the '82 seasons
    (which brought two straight 7-9s) , it was not thought of as a downward spiral...there was still hope, which was realized in '85 and to the 10-1 point in '86
    (although I will admit that there were a lot of people waiting for them to go in the tank in '86... which they sure did)

From the 45-3 Dolphin game to the 1-15 '96 season, the Jets semed like they were cursed... no decision they made ever worked out. From '97 with Parcells, they have had their longest prolonged success (if you want to call it that), and I feel that they did escape the bad karma of the '86 season. But maybe not.

So, while you may be right that the Jets have been in a downward spiral since 1969 (!), I feel it only was a commonly held opnion since '86

Big Deal...what's the difference. Does any long time Jets fan feel very confident right now?

#186 Endlessly Counting, Dec 13, 2010
  7. Endlessly Counting

I know that fans dont play the game, but I do believe that a steady diet of negativity can impact anyone's attitude. If all you ever hear is that "you suck and you're going to lose, like you always do", then you're more likely to think that when things go wrong.

That's the presumed advantage of a coach like Rex for the Jets. His personality can overcome that. He's certainly no Joe Walton!!! Let's hope.

#187 Endlessly Counting, Dec 13, 2010
  8. steves850

steves850 Active Member

Me either, I have some that'll give me a hard time here and there but they seem to actually want the Jets to succeed. Most are Patriot haters in my area.

9. championjets69

Yes lets hope RR is the real deal & is a real match for the cheater in NE. Lets hope that MS is the next TB. Lets hope the unemployment rate goes back down to less then 5%. Yada, yada, yada. The only way the negative thoughts will ever cease from the media & fans about the NYJs is for the NYJs to walk the walk not talk the talk. IF we again collapse this year again then the media & the fans will be blasting RR just as was done to JW, BC, PC & whomever has been our coach since Ewbank left us. You do remember the joke Charley Winner who was Weeb's son in law? Then there was Kotex who earned the job by getting Hess coffee. C'mon man if you are in for 41 years then you know all the reasons why the media & the fans have so many negative thoughts about the NYJs :jets:

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Would I have liked Parcells to come here two years earlier? Yes

Does that mean that the Bruce Coslet era should have started in 1987? I don't think so.

As sad as it sounds, Walton had a better winning percentage than the vast majority of our coaches before Parcells got here. It isn't his fault the sack exchange got old.

11. Big Blocker

Walton took a team that was basically Walt Michaels, the FO added a few players like O'Brien and Toon, and Walton proceeded to manage the team into decline. He was a good OC who was not so good an HC.

12. championjets69

Well then U can say it is his fault for not turning over the players as they traveled into there golden years right? :jets:

13. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Yeah, but you gotta remember....the Jets were 10 and 1 and, as I recall, winners of EIGHT STRAIGHT when MaGuire said that the Jets wouldn't win another game the entire year (there were FIVE games left at that point)....and he was RIGHT!!! We lost ALL FIVE remaining games. It was an amazing prediction that fell exactly the way he said it would. I'll never forget that.

#193 Al Dorow, Dec 13, 2010
  14. championjets69

Yep it was hatred towards us talking but in the end he came out of it smelling like roses. I saw him on TV recently & I am sure my eyes went blood red from the dislike I have for him. Actual now with blogs etc which were non existence in his day I wonder if NBC would have been able to keep him due to all the complaints that NYJs fans probably would have registered over his bias for the NYJs :jets:

#194 championjets69, Dec 13, 2010
  15. James Hasty

In those days, head coaches coached and GMs dictated personnel. Walton had no control over the groceries he was given to work with.

Walton wasn't a very good coach but we have had worse before and after his reign.

16. James Hasty

The Jets had major injuries which were the direct cause of those losses.

McGuire was a major jerk, not Nostradamus.

17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Nope, it was 100%-related to trying to force-feed Lam Jones into the offense and the firing of John Idzik as Offensive Coordinator (the Jets went the entire 1980 season WITHOUT an OC).

18. JetsKickAss

Walton, like Walt Michaels, did have major input and 'control' over who was drafted. Subject to medical review.

19. JetsKickAss

Uh huh....and he was also saying they would LOSE the previous 6 weeks, too !!!

20. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I have been a Jets fans for 45 years, and in all that time there is one thing I have learned, stay level and don't get to up or down about this team. As with most other over 40 and 50 Jets fans, our hearts and souls have been broken too many times to get too carried away when the good times reveal themselves.

Living in the middle of Fish & Buc's country I have gotten a ton of jokes and crap about the Jets. It's easy for them because I always wear some form of Jets gear, cap most of the time, during season. Yet, like this season, when everyone was going on with "how about those Jets" my responce was and will always be "One game at a time" .

This might be a lesson to all those younger fans who would call some of us oilder Jets fans "Dark Siders" . This is not the case with many older Jets fans, it's just we have been here before and seen father fate preform his evil deeds and rip our hearts out.

I swear to God if I live long enough to see this team actually make it to the Super bowl and win it, I won't believe it for a few days until the throphy is in the case at the facility the parades are finished, and I know for sure I won't wake up from that same dream again