Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The problem I have with Schotty is very simple. It looks like the defense has our offensive playbook and knows exactly what we are doing next.

Often times the receivers and Sanchez don't look to be on the same page, Mark thinks they're running a 11 yard route but they only run 7. There are simple pass plays to be run with the weapons we have but the receivers are either not running the routes crisp enough or Schotty isn't calling them.

Sanchez' talent just didn't disappear, some where along the line there's been a disconnect.

We all know the stat, Sanchez vs our division rivals the first go around, 8 TDs 0 INTs, well I think they figured that offense out Schotty it's time for some adjustments.

I was happy to see Keller get targeted 12 times, but I don't think Keller was used to it because that was a clusterfuck.

2. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Sanchez now has 16 TDs and 12 INTs.
    This after not going 7 TDs and 0 INTs in the first 5 games.

He's on his way to hitting the normally Schotty path of QBs
    2006: 17-16
    2007: 15-19 (10-9 Pennington)
    2008: 22-23 (22-22 Favre, threw 10 INTs and only 2 TDs in the last 5 games.)
    2009: 12-20
    2010: 16-12

No QB has finished a season with more than a +1 TD to INT in the Schitty era.

#1182 LeonNYJ, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

My concern is that BS is limited in changing (meaning as a practical matter making the whole process more complex) the plays because of Sanchez and his lack of experience.

On one hand there have been times, more than one for sure, during MS's tenure here where many complain (as Ryan himself did mid season last year) that the playbook needed simplifying.

So they simplify the playbook.

Now a simple playbook it tends to follow would be easier to figure out if you are the opponent, right? Can't have it both ways.

Execution, meaning inconsistent execution, is another problem. Calling a play that requires the Qb to perform some relatively more complex combination of physical skill and mental judgment is the very sort of problematic situation that calls for "simplify the playbook!' run up against.

Many times last night the announcers correctly called MS for poor placement of his throws, particularly on short to medium passes. I would also argue that sideline pass Edwards got away with OPI was a very poorly placed pass. That lack of consistency I would think makes calling plays that require that sort of execution by MS quite problematic.

In short I am not absolving BS, but you have to take into account MS's limitations when you try to assess why the play calling seems so predictable. I think there is a direct relation between the perceived predictability and MS's limitations.

4. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Edwards did not give Mark a chance on that pass. His route was too far to the outside. If he maintains a 5 yard cushion to the sideline, the pass would have been perfect and over the outside shoulder.

5. MadBacker Prime

I was more talking about the routes that specific receivers run. If I were Schotty the first thing I would do is try and get Mark into a rhythm.

Start out with simple short passes and expand from there. I liked the 4 wide set we had yesterday with LT motioning out. Start with send 3 options out and keep 2 short and just mix it up.

If the receivers run the routes correctly they have to get open, if not open Mark can put short passes where only hos receiver can get the ball.

Our o-line has not looked the same either, the holes just aren't there and the pass protection has been lousy. Short quick throws will help all of that.

It's basically copying the Pats offense with more talented weapons.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

One thing that I just don't understand is how our guys never seem to be open. Sure, a few plays a game someone will break free, but we never seem to have our receivers in areas where defensive coverage is weak, allowing Sanchez and the receivers to have some cushion.

I'm sure that part of the problem is execution, but the plays themselves are also problematic in this case; the receivers just aren't running routes that attack the defense's weak areas. All too often it seems that Sanchez has to make the perfect throw for the receiver to make a catch.

Believe me, I'm equally disenchanted with the players and Schotty. Both deserve blame, but I'm really getting to the point where I'd like to see someone else try to make something with the talent that our offense has.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I'm just curious...but is it me or does it seem that schottys ballwashing crew took today off?

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

It's hard to do that when you have Hartsock and a FB in on 90% of your plays.

9. MadBacker Prime

That's why I said I like the 4 WR set, that would mean they're not out on the field.

10. Big Blocker

Yep, and that's due to the OL being a shadow of their selves from last year.

The other problem with running the Pats' O is that the Pats have Tom Brady at Qb, and MS is not Tom Brady.

11. week17magic

week17magic New Member

good idea, lets get more guys out there who can't catch the fucking ball

12. MadBacker Prime

Obviously, but they don't have the quality we have on offense.

Between Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery ,Smith, LT, and Keller, one should be able to get open.

Especially if Mark knows option 1 and 3 are going 5 yards out and you pick.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

It seems that the BS ballwashers are not around right now. Its hard to blame them for not wanting to defend the latest atrocious performance by their hero. Last i saw of the ballwashers, they were blaming the players for Schotty's failed offense. As if the OC has no responsibility whatsoever for how his offense performs. A laughably absurd position to take obviously.

14. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

The QB holds the ball too long, is unable to read the defenses consistently and routinely fails to spot the open man. He's just not that good yet. the offense sucks and he and schotty are the main reasons.

15. Big Blocker

I dunno, with Mankins back I think their OL, pains me to say it, is better than the Jet OL.

16. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

Schotty's in a fog right now............I like how he's constantly got his eyes down on the play sheet like he's picking out something unique. he doesn't even need that sheet, he calls the same shit over and over........that why receivers don't get open....the d knows when the pass is coming, knows when the run is coming etc. Of course, shittty QB play and receivers drops don't help..........but that's what happens whe you play tight and know you have little room for error because your OC has a shitty game plan.

They mentioned on the broadcast the stat that the Jets have the highest % of runnning plays on first down in the league.....shocking.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

It is possible to be critical of Schotty and still see the fault with all other aspects of the team without resorting to blaming every single issue the offense has on him. That's what this ballwasher has attempted to do for weeks. I think most of the people who have opinions I actually respect are aware of that but this thread is just like a car crash, I can't look away.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

19. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I think it's funny that there's no gray area to some people - it's either all on the players or all on Schotty. Clearly, it's some combination of the two. I'm not a huge fan of Schotty's playcalling or scheme, but you can't pin the loss eintirely on him considering Sanchez's inaccuracy, receiver dropsies, poor OL play, etc.

20. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Schottenheimer's plays are predictable and unimaginative but, why the hell doesn't Rex Ryan step up and say something. He's the head coach right?

Every week we hear the same nonsense from Ryan he's either tipping his hat to our opponent or saying "We'll make corrections". But, every week we play just or bad or worse.

Ryan needs to step up and take control of this ship so we can take a hard right and avoid that ice berg that is looming dead ahead.