Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. pender30

pender30 Member

The announcers said yesterday that we were last in the league in first quarter points. What other evidence do you need that this guy doesn't know how to attack a defense?

2. jetfan1569

jetfan1569 New Member

Fire Shittyheimer!

I cannot stomach watching this PATHETIC play calling on offense any more.
    Week after week Schiityhimer calls lame ass plays and proves he has a bunch of talent and not a clue what to do with it. He sucks and i refuse to believe the Jets will go anywhere until they fire his ass !!!! Another Let down year!

3. ZUCCO

ZUCCO New Member

Schottenheimer is such a bad offensive coordinator is play calling is so bad. He belongs on a pop warner football team for kids!

4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

My son was playing Madden football yesterday and hes running a pass play and I hear Madden say "I can never understand a team that runs a play that will not get you the first down" or something like that..then I heard it again...and again..and I said to my son "are you the Jets?" and he said..no..he was playing the Jets.

I think Madden came up with that line just for this team.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Hobbes, I hate to think that you're right about this but you are right about this. At least Hackett would throw in an occasional draw play or flanker screen just to keep the blitzers honest.

6. ZUCCO

ZUCCO New Member

@ madden game, LMFAO so true

7. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Remember...for all his faults, he was the OC in 2002.

We had some bad games like the last two weeks, but with alot less talent, and Ole Noodle Arm.

Hacketts strength was attacking the short and intermediate zones.

9. Cman68

Developing quality QB's was also a staple of his..

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He had Chad at his peak, in 2002 Chad was the 2nd best QB in the league. Mark is developing, he was off to a really good start until a few games ago but he is developing.

hackett was much more predictable than Schottenheimer is. I cannot remember a season where WRs dropped as many balls as we have seen this year and you cannot compare Chad 2002(pre shoulder) to mark sanchez. That's not fair to mark.

11. Ravens2010

Ravens2010 New Member

The same debate is raging on Ravens forums -- OC vs QB, improper use of player personnel, not designing the right kinds of plays for the QB/WRs/TEs, not getting the plays in fast enough to give the QB time to audible at the LOS, etc. And I've come to the conclusion that it's not an either/or proposition. The OC has to design plays that take advantage of the QB's strenghts, while at the same time trying to cover his weaknesses. And the players have to execute, meaning accurate throws to the WRs, who then have to hold onto the ball when it hits them in the numbers. And running backs have to hit the holes and hold onto the ball and not cough it up. WRs have to block on running plays and not get flagged for holding, etc.

With regard to the Ravens, a lot of fans have concluded that the problems lie with both Cam Cameron and Joe Flacco. (i.e. Cameron doesn't craft 60 minutes of consistent game plans, and Flacco is too slow to read D's, he is too slow to get rid of the ball, and he doesn't protect the ball well enough) Having watched some Jets games it looks like it might be similar in New York. Don't shoot the messenger here; I just like to talk football, and have been interested in the Jets ever since Rex became the head coach.

12. Cman68

It is amazing how similar the two teams are..

13. Cman68

It is amazing how similar the two teams are. Rex is our HC and also is perhaps the biggest Homer this side of Fireman Ed. That being said, he raised expectation perhaps too high for his team to achieve this early in his tenure. Rex2.0 has alot of room for growth as HC of the NYJ's.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The biggest problem I have with Schotty right now is that his unit has been executing very poorly for 2 straight games. I have a hard time blaming the play calling when we're not seeing consistent execution from the o-line, the receivers, or the QB.

It's on Schotty to make sure these guys are executing. We now have 4 losses, and in every loss the offensive execution was absolutely dreadful. That's on him. He needs to figure out how to get his unit executing consistently and Rex needs to be riding his ass on it.

15. Hobbes3259

Because Chad was rarely asked to wait three days for pass plays to develop.

16. Ravens2010

Ravens2010 New Member

To Cman50

The thing is...Rex and Harbaugh are so totally different, it's strange that the teams are so similar. Cameron and Schottenheimer seem to be similar, but on defense...pops Mattison is better suited for Father Knows Best than running an NFL defense. But yet...the two teams do resemble each other. I was thinking that while I was watching last night's game. "Where are the slants?" "Why are they throwing 35 yard passes when they need 7 yards to get a critical first down?" "Why are they throwing the ball 3 yards when they need 7 yards for a first down?" Things like that. And those are some of the same things I ask when I'm watching Ravens games.

17. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

If the NFL has taught us anything this year it's that firing coaches mid season has a lit a fire under the players' asses. "magically" units or teams have gotten it together since them. Some of these guys lack sense of urgency on top of the coach's incompetence

It's a damn shame we don't follow suit. The thing is, I bet the organization knows schotty is a weak link. They just like him too much as a person and fear firing him will limit his chances to find a possible hc position in the offseason. they hope thats the solution, and god willing, that would be great. However I don't see a team dumb enough to do it.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, why give Rex a pass for the performance of the O? BS reports to him. He works for the Jets at Ryan's pleasure.

Beyond that, I think the difficulty in assessing what has been going on this season is that there is a complexity to the problem. I think this is why Ryan gives no signal that he blames BS as the primary culprit. As you allude to the OC is not only responsible for playcalling, but also for coaching a team to be ready for the next opponent.

There was something interesting I noted in the Post Game show last night. Lucas and to some extent Klecko were saying they couldn't understand why the Jets did not run the ball more. Lucas even said he didn't care if the opponent's D knew what was coming, how Parcells used to say you should still be able to run the ball even if they did.

But then in Ryan's interview he was asked why the Jets did not run the ball more, and he said more or less because they were only averaging 2.8 ypc. Shonn Greene has many fans here, but he was 8 carries for 17 yards. How can we say with confidence that giving him the ball more would have led to success in running the ball? 17 yards off 8 carries is not success running the ball.

So here's the thing as it relates to BS - there is a lack of congruence between this year's running game and the way you play Sanchez. For some reason this is not last year's running game. Ryan himself acknowledged in effect that the Jets had to throw the ball because the running game was not being productive. But, at the same time, because of Sanchez's lack of experience and consistency passing the ball, BS has to simplify the playcalling in the passing attack.

The net result of lack of running production and tailoring the plays to Sanchez's experience and inconsistency? Why that would be the play calling that so many Jet fans love to hate.

Having said that, the problem I increasingly have with BS concerns the lack of preparation and execution, for which he, as well as Ryan and the rest of the coaches, is responsible for. THAT is where I am becoming increasingly less happy with BS.

19. Hobbes3259

One of the other things not being done here, that drives me F*ng nuts, is receivers NOT catching balls with their thumbs together.

Parcells used to harp on that, to the point that when Keyshawn was here he used to make him spend extra time practicing it.

Both Edwards, and Holmes (See...the missed TD yesterday) let the ball get into their body way too much.

That's coaching.(Well...lack of...)

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't absolve Rex, and I specifically said he needs to be riding Schotty's ass (no homo).