Rex Bashing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanDoc, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I said 10-6 is a possibility. Am I wrong? I did not predict it, ftr.

Your point also leaves out that the Pats are now one game ahead in the standings. Even if both do equally well (see next point), that does not get the Jets back on top in the standings.

Let me put it this way - I will be plesantly surprised if the Jets the way they are playing can do as well as the Pats will do. That they might do better is merely theoretically possible, but quite unlikely. Barring Tom Brady getting hurt and out for the season, I would think the real chance of that is next to nil.

2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Perhaps, just not playing into the whole final score thing really. Perhaps it was 31-0 going into the fourth quarter and the Jets score two late meaningless TDs, same difference.

I see your point, but I don't think even one more score Monday night would have changed anyone's opinion.

3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Gee whiz it is so easy to overcome the NEPs

Wait for MS to mature or go out & find the next TB

Hire a HC who is smarter then the cheater who will then hire coaches who are smarter then our present staff

Use our personnel better or upgrade our personnel

Really quite simple when you think hard about it

:jets:

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Obviously we have to be one game better than them over four games, it's not impossible as we both have almost the same caliber of opponent left, almost exactly. Again, if you base everything on Monday night then mail them the trophy and get ready for the scoutng combine. In the NFL all things level out over a few weeks.

If they go 14-2, guess what? They deserve to win the division. We have a chance to be anywhere from 13-3 to 9-7, so I'm not giving up, we need to play better and let the chips fall where they fall.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

you thought hard about it and came up with this?

6. Italian Seafood

Why didn't anyone think of this before?

And to your point, champ, even if Ryan and Sanchez are the next great coach/QB, nobody gets there overnight. Especially when you have that dynasty directly in your division and your path. We're 2-2 against them with these guys in place, too. Perspective is important.

7. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You should be a GM.

8. Big Blocker

I am afraid I have to agree with this. The failure to score a touchdown, while the D was unable to stop them until the game was out of reach, is a greater concern than losing by 17 having scored two td's.

The related concern is team morale. No one here knows what effect this brutal loss will have on the Jets going forward. It may be a positive in that respect for all we know. But we don't know. That's the point. It wouldn't be the first time if this kind of loss badly affected team morale with adverse consequences for the rest of the season.

Keeping in mind I freely admit this is speculation, but here it is - Ryan talked about how important the game was. He said he thought the Jets would win. He's always talking, sounding optimistic. He must think that inspires the players. Why else would he do that? To inspire the fans? Because he can't shut up? No. If he didn't think it was a positive, he wouldn't have done it.

So now what? How would you as a player playing for Ryan feel about his positive predictions? Do you find them equally inspirational?

I like Ryan a lot. I really do. But his rep took a hit, imo. That's not good. Does it mean the team will react adversely? Not necessarily. But if you are not concerned about it, I think you should be.

9. Italian Seafood

Team president.

10. LTrules

LTrules Banned

I should be President DAMMIT...I would have kept Woodhead!

:)

11. Italian Seafood

Any time you talk like Rex does and don't win it's going to look bad. So unless you go 16-0 there are going to be weeks where it looks bad and a lot of words are eaten. You have to take the bad with the good. Personally I think confidence does come from the top down, and if Rex didn't convey that belief to his players there's a good chance we never come from 10 down to win at Detroit or come back in :40 to get a TD and beat Houston. The way New England was prepared and playing the other night I don't think we were beating them regardless.

12. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Rex took the stance that this game was the most important game we would play all year. He guaranteed that the Pats would "get our best shot" and he all but guaranteed a victory. As a fan, I can't help but think - gee, this guy's kinda full of shit. You kind of wonder whether the Jets' players are thinking the same thing.

The other way Rex takes a hit is that his coaching (by that I mean the entire Staff) was at least as big of a reason for the blowout as the execution on the field.

13. Big Blocker

This post I don't disagree with. I have no problem with the philosophy behind it. Our conversation went somewhere. Heh.

But, I still think that my hopes for an SB took a brutal beating this week.

14. Big Blocker

I am afraid so, and that's why it makes sense until we see otherwise to be concerned that this was not just one game, but one with the potential to lead to more problems.

15. Italian Seafood

It certainly did--win that game and we're a game up with tie-breaker clinched. Seemed almost too easy to be true and it wasn't true. Maybe if that happened we start coasting home and we're stale by the playoffs, you never know. I'm not trying to put a happy face on a 45-3 loss that could have put us in great shape, just trying to offer perspective.

The obvious comparison is the 45-3 loss in Miami when we were 10-1 in 1986, but that team was losing guys to injury all over the place and couldn't stop anyone or move the ball. Plus Miami that year didn't make the playoffs, they certainly weren't a team the caliber of the Patriots even with Marino in Brady's spot. Also, I think this team is better than our 1986 team even at full strength.

16. Big Blocker

I don't think, at least today, that I have the stomach for looking too closely at comparisons to 1986. But on a semantic point, I think comparing the roster to that year's is problematic in the sense of at what point in that season? When everyone was healthy, that was a very good team.

17. Italian Seafood

That's my whole point--at this point in the season, coming off the MNF loss (ironically by the same score) to the end, we were all beat up. Right now we aren't.

18. TheSHRIKE81

TheSHRIKE81 Member

This is a bitter tasting lesson to our new head coach. As mike fatcessa said yesterday, it's not like we're talking about Tom Coughlin here. He's a new head coach. Being a head coach is an entirely different circumstance then being defensive coordinator. This is part of it. He'll learn from this.

I am starting to seriously doubt Shotty however and it's taking more and more to convince myself that he's the right guy still. Not that the monday night game was Shottys fault. Far from it. Absolutely everyone is to blame for that mess. No one stepped up. I think we should have come out with our basic game plan, offensively. Especially with the wind and cold. Start getting the running game going, force the pats to put extra defenders in the box to open up one on one coverage on the outside. Instead we open up first down (repeatedly) in the first quarter out of shotgun throwing the ball.

The pats defense isn't what we had to necessarily worry about. We came out offensively looking skittish and uncomfortable.

19. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

One thing that struck me about this game is how long it's been since the Jets played this bad of a game. Sure this team's lost a little bit over the years and there have been 6-10/4-12 seasons between some of the playoff appearances. But for the most part, this is a team that is always competitive each week. I can't recall the last time I've seen a Jets team look so utterly clueless from start to finish.

20. LTrules

LTrules Banned

Any team? How about NE vs. Cleveland?