Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. jb1095

jb1095 Banned

I have been reading this forum since the first Jets/Pats game earlier in the season. To summarize quickly for the haters of non Jets fan posters:

This loss may be the best thing that happened to you this season. I know, as a Patriots fan looking back at our Cleveland game, that loss was probably the single best thing that happened to us. It was a reality check and we have been playing lights out since that game.

On to other things that I keep seeing on the boards that IRK me.

Some people here are all bent out of shape that Brady was still in the game with a 35 point lead. Sanchez & CO. would be doing the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot. As Bill B has said in the past when this issue was brought up, he will stop trying to score if you promise to stop trying to score. Let us imagine the opposite of what happened for a minute and look at the reaction that would be coming from Jets fans, Lets say that instead of the Pats trying to keep scoring, they just marched the ball up to the 1 yard line and handed it back over to the JETS. You all would probably not have Televisions right now as you would have probably thrown your remotes into the television if you ever saw something so stupid happen.

This game was an aberration. It is not the norm and is not expected again. It surprised all of us.

NE didn't come out saying we will kick the JETS butts, that talk came from Jet Camp, so don't act surprised if Bill never takes his foot off the gas when he is beating you. We expect the same to come from any other team in the NFL.

Stop blaming officiating, stop whining and saying the Pats are getting away with murder, like the refs are cheating in favor of the Pats. This is a simpleton line of thinking and is simply untrue. Anyone can analyze any game at any time and find bad calls, or instances when a call should have been made but was not. Holding is so common in football games that just less then 10% of the holds get called. This occurs on both sides of the ball with every team in the league.

In short, the Jets didn't play like the Jets on MNF. Shit happens

#961 jb1095, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I think it all goes back to Schotty out thinking himself. He uses the they're expecting us to do this but we're going to do that approach and they spend all week gameplanning for that. It's stupid. Play to your strengths not what your opponent may be expecting you to do. There are never any in game adjustments and our red zone offense is disgusting. With an invalid kicking your FG's it's more then important to score TD's in the RZ and not watch him shank FGs.

Even Gruden made a comment about sometimes you out think yourself. I think that was a direct shot at Schotty.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

When Brady is playing that well - its not likely any team is going to beat the pats. He's the best QB of his era and he showed why. You have tip your hat to the guy and congratulate the pats on a good game and a good win.

As for the Jets, poor playcalling/gameplan by schotty was obviously an issue. But the reality is that the entire team except a few guys played terribly and they were not going to beat Brady on that night. even lousy playcalling and a poor gameplan can be executed fairly effectively. dropped passes, bad passes, dumb calls, horrendous punting and nonexistent defense. Hard to play much worse.

At this point there is nothing to do but move past this drubbing, lick our wounds, pick ourselves up and go take it out on the phins.

From my perspective the way to beat the pats is with Parcells possession football - you run the ball, run the ball, run the ball - beat the heck out of that defense and keep superman off the field. Especially when you have a 2d yr QB who is just becoming a decent NFL QB and when you have a great OL and running game. Pound the rock, possess the ball, short passes. The last thing you want to do is get into a track meet asking your young QB to keep pace with Brady.

So I blame schotty but he is hardly alone in terms of blameworthiness.

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Gruden said it once, and Jaws said it twice.

This is why Schotty is not a good OC. The proof is there.

I just can't believe that this team is given the gift of extra time in the NFL and they can't score touchdowns.

Get a HC job somewhere and get away from my team. Rex's coaches are some of the best in the league. He'll find someone to keep Sanchez's progression on track.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Brady killed us and we played right into his hands in part through failed offensive execution and poor play calling. you have to run the ball / short passing game and wear that D out and keep Tommy off the field. We did exactly the opposite of that and he killed us. Our D was wretched too so its hardly all on Schotty, but when you have the ball you need to drive the field and wear out the D. Rex was right - everybody sucked - most especially the coaches.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Like you I am not thrilled about Schotty, but for many here he is clearly the scapegoat for Sanchez, Ryan and overall team play.

The bottom line, assuming he does not go elsewhere on his own, is that if the Jets can find a more promising OC available, they should and hopefully will do that. But I just don't know of any promising candidates out there right now. And if they don't find someone likely to be better, don't jump off a cliff if he's back next year.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The problem is when we still had a chance we were moving the ball, we just made too many mistakes that had NOTHING to do w/ play calling to end drives, LT not looking for the ball on a key third down, Braylon dropping a 1st down inside the 15, sanchez missing throws. The game was over after the INT on the first possession of the 3rd qtr, we moved the ball w/ ease inside the RZ and we threw a boneheaded INT- that's not on the OC. he called a good game in the competitive portion of the game, I don't care what happened mid-late 3rd and in the 4th qtrs. We didn't execute.

8. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Junc - I disagree w/you. yes it did have something to do with play selection. Our drives stalled because of poor execution and poor play calling.

For example in the 1st Q on our 1st drive we had 1/10 from the NE 48 - LT ran 14 for a 1st down at the NE 38. Then it was shotgun pass incomplete/LT for 3/shotgun pass incomplete/FG NG.

Next drive it was 1/10 SG for 4 yds/ 2/6 - shotgun delay of game penalty/ 2/11 pass incomplete / 3/11 pass incomplete 4/11 from NY 20 Weatherford punts 12 yds.

1:30 later it was 17-0 pats. The next possession we had success running the ball and we got to 3/3 at the NE 21 and Schotty calls a pass which was again was incomplete and we were forced to go for a FG.

The next time we got the ball it was 24-3 - Pretty much Game Over. We got a little momentum on the drive, but then Schotty calls a pass play on 3/1 - incomplete.

So yes poor execution. But also poor play selection. Putting the game in Sanchez's hands was poor gameplanning and poor play selection. Schotty did not call a good game at all even when the game was competitive.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

3rd and 3 is usually a passing down
    didn't we go for it on 4th and 1 and make it on that last drive you mentioned?

The only call I hated was rooling out on 3rd and 1 and passing to Braylon. We should have run it on 3rd and 1(I forget which drive it was).

10. LTrules

LTrules Banned

Its not the O coordinator's fault the Jets gave up 45 pts.

:buffaloblows:

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Actually poor play selection and poor offensive execution share the blame for failing to possess the ball and repeatedly putting the D back on the field against Brady who was en fuego. Our offense has to keep Brady on the sidelines and they failed to do that.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Stop, Junc. Just stop.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Actually, poor offensive execution goes hand in hand with the amount of scores given up. Do you know this guy named June Jones? I think he's now coaching somewhere in Hawaii at university level.

When he ran an NFL franchise (Atlanta Falcons) his offense rarely stayed on field for more than good 4-5 minutes, whether they scored TD or not. He was a firm believer of quick-strike offense to the point where he wasn't giving his defense enough rest. Get the point? Time of possession means the time your defense gets to rest. Quite obviously, the longer the TOP, the better your defense will be.

Now... rewind back to the last Pats game. Was the offense giving the defense enough time off the field to 1. rest 2. regroup 3. analyze? Not when your QB is throwing 3 bone-headed picks, and have the drive stalled at 5th or 6th play every drive. That more or less falls on Schotty too. Ok?

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Early on he got away from it but that game spiraled out of control so quickly that he had no choice but to start throwing the ball. We set the tone early on that 1st drive and the missed FG was huge but the stupid challenge hurt just as much.

Now there are a lot of what if's here but hypothetically if Folk makes the 1st FG it's 24-6 with us having the ball right before the half. With that extra T) Sanchez isn't forced to throw a hail mary (which ended in a sack). Even if we get 3 there 24-9 at the half isn't that bad considering we got the ball to start. I think the play selection may have been different once in the RZ. If we could have cut the lead to 24-16 or even 24-13 it's a different game but that 1st missed FG really led to a tail spin of epic proportions. I don't think this team plays for the safe 3 but instead is too aggressive in the RZ instead of going with what works.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Normally I'd agree, but the defense sucked a big red, white and blue dick Monday night.

17 points in the first quarter alone, which is really our best quarter on defense.

First 4 drives, FG, TD, TD, and TD.

16. LTrules

LTrules Banned

Agreed however, it was Rex that decided to go for the 53 yard FG not BS and it was Rex who gave the Patriots the advantagious field position. Then the Jets were playing catch up. And its not BS' fault that Sanchez threw the INT in the red zone. This discussion is crazy. The Jets are 9-3!!!

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Horrible playcaling, horrible. Shonn was running with ease, yet not used appropriately.

In the RZ, with that wind he was retarded to call something over the middle, should've been a screen or a fade to the corner. If we were going to throw over the middle, a short slant just the Pats use every series.

18. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Schotty & Rex deserve big heapings of blame for the performance we witnessed. I am not at all singling Schotty out. He sucked, but so did Rex, so did the Defense, So did Weatherford, so did the receivers, so did Sanchez. A complete shitshow.

Now its time to get better and beat the fins. Lets just get to 10-3. Our guys need to go out there on Sunday and take this out on Miami. We need a big win. We will learn alot about how resilient this team is.

19. LTrules

LTrules Banned

Sanchez threw to his first read, the Patriots had the EXACT same call, but Brady threw to his 3rd read (Tate). Sanchez is not as good as Brady but we are 9-3 and it was due to BS that we had some memorable comebacks this yr. Blaming him is just crazy. Am I alone here?

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am not saying the defense didn't suck - they actually did big fucking time. In a way, this kind of coverage breakdown was understandable, as Leonhard is gone for the season.

So what's your gameplan should be like? If I were in those shoes, I would have tried to bleed the clock as much as I could. Instead - Jets went the other way around. In the first drive alone, 8/12 play selection was passing play. They were obviously running no-huddle, but it didn't seem like they ran scripted drive; Sanchez had to constantly communicate to the sideline back and forth. And Schotty was his usual self, giving the plays with 10-15 secs on the clock if he's that quick. That is NOT how you run your opening drive, especially if you are running no-huddle to expose a defense.

And, lastly, it is not even like Jets were down 17 in the 4th quarter. It was still 1st - meaning, if Jets played solid football afterward, they still had a chance to tie the game up. Of course, that didn't happen. This offense couldn't even manage any score in a garbage time. If that's not the fault of the OC, I don't know whose fault that is.

#980 Zach, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010