Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

He may be a great person off the field. You can be his friend.

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

It was all a problem last night. The QB, the OC, the defense and special teams putting the offense in a 17 point hole after only two offensive possessions. It all snow balled into the disaster that we witnessed last night.

Needing a fall guy was actually pointed out to me as a legitimate argument in all of this a few hours ago... I of course disagree. Schotty deserves criticism just as much as the next guy but anyone trying to argue that he is the reason the Jets got their doors blown off is simply looking for a goat.

3. 624

624 Banned

Schotty definitely didn't have a good day, but in his defense thanks to the ST and Defense they were in a 2 possession hole pretty much the entire game.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it's not just last night though......why did the offense need last second heroics against bottom-feeding defenses like Detroit and Houston? On paper, our offense is a juggernaut.....under Schotty's watch, it's a dung beetle.

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

You can not throw the ball on first down of virtually every possession! We are supposed to be a ground an pound team, yet we refuse to ground and pound...

Our front 5 is supposed to better than their front 7, when we ran the ball it was effective, and then we go back to the bullshit cutesy passing game... RUN THE FRIGGIN BALL!!!! GROUND AND POUND... yeah right... its all talk!

And your crazy if you think that Shotty is a good OC... his schemes are vanilla and cute, and do not work against the elite teams in the NFL...

6. ukilledkenny

This argument all depends on how high you rate Sanchez on paper. He has proven that he can be more than a game manager when he needs to be but he has also proven that he isn't ready to lead an offensive juggernaut either.

The Pats did exactly what I said they would in the what will the Pats try to take away thread. They took away the big play element and made Sanchez beat them by finding his intermediate routes. He still can't do it and no amount of saying Schotty sucks is going to change that.

I love the way Sanchez is developing but he cannot beat a defense that forces him to find his secondary routes on every play, he just can't read and react to defenses fast enough yet.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

Honestly , if I were a jets fan, my biggest concern right now would be defense. Special teams mistakes and poor execution put you guys behind real early in the game, which I believe caused you to abandon your offensive game plan. I look back to the pats-ravens playoff game and see the same thing. I think that your offense can function much better without any changes given the right chances to do so.

Defensively, on the other hand, there is no excuse for what happened last night. Although field position was certainly a factor at times, your defense did not show any ability to stop brady's passing game, and did not seem to make any adjustments throughout the game.

As Rex said after the game, this is a copycat league, and you can expect the dolphins to come out next week and try to exploit the same weaknesses that you guys showed. If they have success, pitt will do the same thing, etc. If your defense cannot make the same kinds of shutdown performances that it has been under the Rex Ryan era, I really don't see your offense winning you many games regardless of how much you tweak it.

8. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

EXACTLY!

Houston, Detroit, Bungles are BAD defensive teams, horrid defensive teams (so are the Pats)

A good offense, not even a stellar offense, a good offense does not need miracles to win those games.

Bungles was not a miracle per say, but the Jets offense had one TD not generated by special teams that day.

Against a team the Bills demolished the week before.

9. mangoldman

mangoldman Member

when you cant score a single touchdown against one of the worst defenses in the league in the biggest game of the year against a divsion rival....id say F*ck the excuses ,,, snowballing early whole, blah blah blah we still had posession of the ball 28plus minutes and yet we failed to score a single F*cking touchdown! Sanchez mad the worst possible throws at certain moments and schotty did a terrible job at putting guys into positions to succeed. the offense once again was predictable. I am a fan who practically knows nothing or relatively little about actually playing the game and i can see this. yes the recievers dropped balls and such but sanchez's accuracy was terrible and the routes that were called were not putting guys into position to get open and make plays... forget the defense collapse i have faith that can be fixed or atleast improved. we didnt even score a touchdown for god sakes. that is on Schotty and Sanchez and both of these guys have to prove they are elite or they should be gone period!

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

well....I agree with your post, UKK.

But having said that....if Sanchez doesn't right the ship by year 3.....then he'll start garnering the criticism he deserves.

And that's tough for me to say...because i have supported and STILL support Sanchez 110%...and never wavered from that. But in year 3....his play needs to start paying dividends for this team, imo. This offense (on paper) is a ferrari, if the kid can't drive it...we need to find someone who can.

I believe Sanchez can do it....but he has to stop regressing...like he did last night. Which is why i think Schotty, believe it or not, may not be the guy to guide Sanchez's career......He needs to be fired before it's too late.

11. mangoldman

mangoldman Member

thank you mb i totally agree. the game is qb orientated and the only surefire way to have a chance at a dynasty is to have a great Qb.

Sanchez has yet to show me he is even close to the caliber of sam bradford or matt ryan. or even flacco.
    if he cant approach the level those guys are at then we will never see a championship or a dynasty

12. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

What the hell happened to Weatherford?

He's been good all year, those 2 punts were a joke.

I am excited to see Holmes as the permanent returner now though, that should be a huge plus.

13. ukilledkenny

I am torn on Schotty at this point. He has his moments of brilliance and when the offense is clicking it looks beautiful. Now it comes down to what makes the offense click. I don't think Schotty's playcalling really gets much better or worse game to game but I do think that Sanchez' level of play fluctuates a lot.

It is his responsibility to put Mark in the best position to succeed and it certainly appears that he hasn't done that well in many games this season. The question for me becomes would Sanchez and the offense be looking much better if they were put into different positions? Based on what I have seen this season I don't think so.

The way I see it is that, assuming the Jets don't win the superbowl, this will be a huge crossroads for Sanchez this offseason. Schotty staying will give him the continuity that many credit to helping develop young QB's. A change in thinking could lead to an offensive breakthrough moving forward. It could also blow up in everyone's face and cause him to regress. The possibility that a change in the offense will lead to a regression from Sanchez is an element to this whole OC debate that I think gets overlooked way too much.

14. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Well said.
    The playcalling is not the issue. For the most part, this team moves the ball better than most teams in the league. We just don't seem to score the amount of points you'd think we would when you look at the yardage. Last night for example, 300+ yards translated into only 3 points. That's not on the OC ... its on the QB. Our drives constantly look promising and we seem to have the defense on its heels and then they suddenly stall out ... especially in the Red Zone. Why? ... Alot of it has to do with the fact that our QB completes less than 55% of his passes ... So if we don't hit some big strikes to move into the endzone quickly, the odds are he's going to miss too many 3rd down passes to keep the chains moving. He's developing. I beleive he'll get better, but its a problem now and it doesn't matter whos calling the plays. Its about executing the plays at a higher percentage.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

you know what else makes me nauseous.....watching Sam Bradford make St.Louis a competitive team with no wide receivers....in his rookie year.

16. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

He completes 60.6% of his passes. Ties into the point I was making in my post above.

17. MadBacker Prime

I agree with 100%!!

Schotty is not the coach for developing a QB. When a Brett Favre doesn't have a single 300 yard game that speaks volumes, especially when he goes to the Vikings and has seven 300+ yards games.

I've said it numerous times on here, if we just needed a game manager/pez dispenser we should not have drafted Sanchez and trade up to do so. Mark is a QB, one who could be a great QB for years and I do believe Schotty is hurting his development.

With Rex being so defensively minded we really need a OC with experience in handling a young QB but also isn't afraid to use him.

Someone like Charlie Weis who did a bang up job with Brady and that offense and is now doing a great job in KC with Matt Cassel.

18. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Big difference is I don't think those teams have the talent to exploit the weaknesses of this defense. The Pats right now are the Jets worst matchup in the AFC. I fooled myself into thinking we could contain that passing game but clearly it's a mismatch of epic proportions. The Dolphins don't have the talent at WR or TE to really exploit the #3/#4 corners especially with Marshall out. Not to mention their QB fucking sucks (altho he tends to elevate his game vs. us). The Steelers offensive line is a disaster, I think even without our mediocre pass rush we can get to Ben.

19. MadBacker Prime

To the pats guy-

It was just a bad game, no excuses no BS just a poorly played game by the Jets.

Rex said he was out-coached and he was. Friday the locker room and Rex were deflated after hearing about Leonhard, I think that carried over and we all saw the results.

Plus every team doesn't have a Tom Brady, we beat Tom week 2, he beat us last night.

I hope to GOD we meet in the playoffs though, as do the players.

20. ukilledkenny

This.

I was not expecting the matchup of Brady vs the Jets pass D would be so one sided but it was. The good thing is no other team has the personnel to run an offense like the Pats run. The Dolphins could try it but their QB has no chance of picking apart the D like Brady can. The Steelers don't have the right type of players surrounding Ben to run the Pats style of offense. Last year Peyton and the Colts were the worst matchup possible for this D. This year it is Brady and the Pats short passing game that is the worst matchup.