NFL Punch Line.....again

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Dec 7, 2010.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

After lying awake in bed until 1:30am and then waking up at 5am (unable to fall back asleep), I’ve had plenty of time to contemplate last night’s Hindenburg remake. The fact that the Jets lost to the Patriots doesn’t bother me so much....depsite hoping for a victory, in my heart-of-hearts, I believed the Pats would win. What does bother me is that it had to happen with every football fan in America watching. This game was hyped as the 2 best teams in the NFL playing. What we got was one of the best teams in the NFL and another whom all of NFL-fandom is now declaring: “They are who we thought they were.” On these boards posters are constantly clamoring for respect. Well, the opportunity for respect was last night. If we lost the game in the 4th quarter, like the Ravens did 1 night earlier, we would be able to hang our heads high today. Instead, the team was exposed (whether you believe it or not....perception is reality) as a bunch of pretenders. And nobody is more devastated than this loyal and tortured fanbase.

Many here will poo-poo the notion that it is Same-Old-Jets. Some of these posters are living in denial, some are too young to have lived the horror, and other incorrectly equate SOJ to the Kotite years. Same-Old-Jets is a team that raises expectations as high as possible only to crush them in the most horrific of ways. Same-Old-Jets is the Fake Spike. Same-Old Jets is a roughing the passer penalty leading to a double-OT playoff loss. Same-Old-Jets is blowing a 10-0 lead in the AFC Championship Game. Same-Old-Jets is Doug Brien. And Same-Old-Jets is going into the most hyped regular season game in 20 years and limping out an absolute embarrassment.

The problem for Jets fans is that we are like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. We know Lucy will pull it away, but dumb-asses that we are, we try and try again. I can pretty much write the script for the rest of this season. We will beat Miami. I believe we will beat the Steelers (it wouldn’t be nearly as SOJ-ish without this). And then the hype will begin to grow. NE will stumble in one of their games and we will have a chance to retake the division. And that’s when it will happen again. We will lose some stupid way to Chicago or worse yet....to Buffalo at home in week 17. SOJ’s once again. But we’ll win a playoff game or two and then have to go back to NE (I can just see the redemption headlines). But like always, a crushing defeat will be waiting for us.

Even though we know how this will end....once again we’ll all play Charlie Brown and will try to kick that football, believing that this will be the time things are different. We are Jets fans....it is what we do. At least misery loves company.

DBJ

#1 DeathByJets, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

And there it is, the SOJF.

3. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of this team for too long. I'm 42 and I feel like I've seen it all. For this reason, I refused to buy into the hype even at 9-2. I feel like I'm always waiting for that other shoe to drop. I'm always bracing myself for that point in the season when things just turn bad. It's sad that I can't just sit back and enjoy the ride. I'm just so tired of having my heart ripped out year after year after year.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

no arguments here. We went in there almost expecting the game to be handed to us. It certainly did, just not in the way we were expecting.

This game will do one of two things, it will either recharge the guys and cause them to be pissed off at their performance, leading to better play down the stretch, or it will kill them. We can only hope for the former

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, that was a SOJ performance.

With the exception of Brady/Sanchez....we're better across the entire offense.

The defense is pretty much the same, we're better than they are talent wise.

Yet....They went out on the field last night and got dominated in all phases of the game.

6. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ has everyone just started watching sports recently?

We all want Championships and we all get pissed when we don't get them.

Being 9-2 and just waiting for something bad to happen... That's just a shitty way to live

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Oh jesus, you could fucking set your watch to this guy's ritual self-loathing post-apocalypse posts. Every season the Jets get off to a half decent season we get one of these. Give it a rest already. Our team is still 3 games up in the wild card race.

8. DeathByJets

You vent your way, I'll vent mine.

I've been a fan since 1977. Whether you like it or not the fact that you can "set your watch" to these kinds of Jet games being part of the Jet fan culture. Until the team breaks through (like the Red Sox did), SOJ observers like me will continue to talk about it. Believe me, I'd love the Jets to shut me up about it once and for all.

#8 DeathByJets, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  9. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i would agree with being better defensively and special teams, but offensively the pats are better and much more consisstant. without moss, brady is back to spreading the ball around and thats not good for the rest of the league. that is what made him so good during their early dynasty run.

the jets will have all they can handle trying to compete with them in the coming years with all the draft pics they have this coming year (2 #1s - 2 #2s _2 #3). they may just end up owning this division for another 5 years. ouch!!

10. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Being from Western Massachusetts and stuck around all those semi suicidal red sox fans all through high school, I always said I wouldn't give up on my team like they do (and you do).

Haters always hate, and my friends who stopped watching then stopped watching this year when the sox were out, so winning a championship won't change your dark sider ways anyways.

11. DeathByJets

I'm not giving up. I"m not sure why you view me as a hater. I love this team (I wear Jets clothes 4 days out of every week). I'm raising my son to be a Jets fan (and we don't live in NY). You call me a darksider....I view it as having lived through so much disappointment. I'm not sure if it worse to be loyal, but jaded (like me) OR blindly optomistic. I'm not trying to convert others to my view. I'm just writing how I fell this morning. Come next Sunday, I'll be be back on my couch, sucked into believing in this team again (even if I know they way these things end)..

12. blitzboy54

blitzboy54 New Member

Bills fan here........ There is probably no one in the universe who can relate to how you guys feel today better than your division foes in Western NY. We not only usually loose the big game, but it almost happens in such a way to then make us look like a national joke (ie. Stevie's drop, Dallas MNF, Music City Miracle...etc)

The difference between us and you guys this time is Rex, the team and Jets nation started chirping since last year about how you are the best. I'll be honest, myself and most of the non Jets fan world have been waiting for this game (it was pretty sweet). But if the team and Jets fans would show an ounce of humility it would not be nearly as bad today.

You just would have gotten beaten by the best team in the league (no shame in that) but because you guys talk shit from dawn until dusk (after some pretty suspect wins mind you) I (a Bills fan) am here rubbing it in.

Good luck the rest of the season. We will see you guys in week 17. I hope your playoff chances are not hinging on that game because the poster above got it right. Hell hath no fury like a self proclaimed playoff team blowing it in week 17 to the Bills.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

For all the apologists out there, let me ask you - if the Jets had won 45 - 3, would you be saying the same shit about the Pats? You know, just one game, still a good record, etc, etc? I doubt it. The fat big mouth shit head that supposedly coaches this team should close his fucking hole and start coaching. If they had fought hard and lost 24 -17 or 20 - 10, I would agree with the "one game" theory, as I didn't expect them to win this game, but I did think they would at least show up. This team has sucked for over a month, record not withstanding, and that fat jackasses' schtick is old. After all the talk, Belichik dropped his pants and said "press lips here", and fat ass obliged. Maybe Thiesman and Fatcessa and the rest are right, it sure looked like it last night. Contenders kick ass on the field, pretenders talk shit and don't show up. And DBJ is right - the by product of not backing up all the tough talk is that we are once again a laughingstock. But that is a familiar place for this team and its fans. For all you "just one gamers" - here's my predicition - that game ended this season for these jokers. And if anyone of you want to save this message and throw it back in my face, be my guest. I'm really not concerned that that is going to happen. This is simply another year without a championship.

14. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

While I can hardly condemn any kind of pessimistic posting from anyone after a loss like that, I have to ask you: do you consider the Jets, or the Jets fans' perspective, to be the center of football world?

What I mean to say is, are you unaware that teams such as the Lions, Bengals, Panthers, Bills, etc. exist?

What is it about certain Jets fans that they are somehow entirely unaware that losing (and, yes, even in such ways as the Jets have historically done) is not specific to only our beloved team? Please explain.

SOJ does not exist, just as much superstition is BS. There is no bad karma hovering over this team. Or in your analogy, there is no Lucy.

There are, however, fans, who instead of standing up for their team when support is needed most, are already over the starboard side, holding just enough rope so they can climb back in when the weather gets warm again. Are you this kind of fan?

I'm rocking my Jets hoodie today, proud to support my team, even when they get romped by a 42 point differential. My suggestion to certain fans: put the noose away. Our condition is not specific to just us. SOJ only exists in our minds, and will continue to live on until certain fans come to terms, recognize it never existed to begin with, and put that s*** to bed.

15. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

This place never ceases to amaze me, now people are bashing Rex??

The players did not show up last night and that is the bottom line.
    I think I have to take my fist TGG break, I can't take all the BS posting here.

16. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%. I will say that I am still on board with Rex. I think he is a great Defensive mind, the players love playing for him and he's entertaining as hell. However; he needs to learn to just STFU. He has not done anything yet in this league and he needs to stop talking about how the Jets are going to win the next 10 Super Bowls, how they are the best team in the league, etc.

A lot of fans here seem to have taken on his personality too talking about how we were going to stomp the Patriots last night and it would not even be close. What Jets team have you guys been watching???

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Some of you mopes really deserve a team like the Cardinals to root for.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^Cards made it to the SB a couple of years ago. When was the last time we were there?

19. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

I will not defend a single person for last nights performance. You can go right down the line starting with Rex until you get to the 45th guy on the active roster, they all sucked last night.

The great thing is that when Sunday rolls around there is another game to be played and with a little luck the Jets could be right back in 1st place in the division and this will just be a bad memory. If you need to vent by loathing every heartbreaking Jets loss then I guess that's what you have to do but the sky is falling posts while sitting at 9-3 and in command of a playoff spot isn't the way I would go about things.

Last night was what it was, an embarrassment for the entire franchise. The great thing is that in a few weeks when the playoffs start this loss will be way in the rear view.

20. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Thank you.

Big picture, fellas. Big picture.