Tannenbaum: We want to keep Santonio AND Braylon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MadBacker Prime, Dec 1, 2010.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he makes too much money next year, he has to restructure or be cut ... hes been good but hes not worth that cap number

2. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The NFL is a tough, tough league. Scott will be 31, he's good but at that edge likely on the decline. Just watch them sign an extension that cuts his salary.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Once we know what the cap is he should get a well deserved extension that drops his average cap hit.

4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Harris is very good, and he has his fans who heap praise on him. But from my perspective he's probably more expendable than Cro.

But regarding the OP, if the Jets can keep Edwards and Holmes, that would be fantastic.

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

The reason he is averaging 56 ypg is because we have all these weapons for mark to throw to. Don't break out his numbers from last year either, because Mark was playing no where near as well as he is right now.

You are right that having 2 #1 WR is a luxury, but that luxury means that Mark Sanchez has a better chance to develop into the best QB in the league. As far as I am concerned its not even worth talking about.

After watching Mark for the last few weeks, I see best QB in the league type of potential. In order for him to attain that he needs to reach his potential. The best way for him to reach his full potential the fastest is to give him more weapons than he knows what to do with. Kind of like what he is working with this year. If we keep it constant, he has a chance to develop into that "next all-time great QB" that I mentioned previously. Oh and if I am wrong, and Mark's ceiling is only a top 10 QB in the league, it still makes him better right now if he has top of the line players surrounding him.

Since I see that kind of potential in Mark, I want to give him every opportunity to reach it. Keeping the receiving corps intact gives him the best opportunity to do so.

In essence it boils down to this argument, assuming that keeping braylon and Holmes allows Mark to develop into the #1 Qb in the league for a very long time, and also assuming that keeping Cro and Harris allows Rex to craft the #1defense every year for a very long time, which would you rather have?

A top 2-3 QB in the NFL with a top 10 defense every year

or

A top 2-3 Defense in the NFL with a top 10 QB every year.

Personally I want that top QB with a damn good defense more than I want a top defense with a very good QB.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good point. I agree.

7. 624

624 Banned

I think we would be neither a passing or running team. Just a balanced team capable of beating you in multiple ways depending on the defense. We can go run it or pass it 40 times any given week and be successful....that is completely possible if we re-sign both these guys and would be amazing.

He may be, but it doesn't matter.

Harris will be a Jet next year, loyalty has to be a factor....he's an All-Pro LB and has played lights out and waited patiently while watching all his other members of the "Core 4" get signed.

Harris is priority #1

8. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

he has already received a largely undeserved (at the time) contract extension ... if shaun ellis cant get an extension, then i doubt BT receives one

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Harris will be a Jet 'cause he's a RFA not a UFA :p. That said he'll be a Jet for a long time...

10. 624

624 Banned

Yeahhh you know that's what I meant

11. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Actually nobody knows if he'll be a RFA or a UFA. That depends on the labor agreement. There's a very good chance that he'll be a UFA.

12. milo

milo Well-Known Member

You just proved my whole point! When you have too many friggin weapons nobody's got crazy numbers. He doesn't have 56 ypg because he's shitty, he has 56 ypg because that's what happens with more weapons than you can handle. Like I said. LUXURY.

Unfortunately Rex disagrees with you, and probably will for as long as he's breathing.

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I didnt disagree keeping both Holmes/Edwards is a luxury. I just said its a luxury we can't afford to live without.

And actually Rex's drafting style disagrees with you. Rex has unbelievable confidence when it comes to bringing in guys off the street and turning them into big time ballers. He did it with Scott and Leonhard (yes he originally played in Buffalo but Rex made him what he is today) and countless others. Rex has drafted 1 defensive player in two drafts here. He does this because he figures that no matter what talent he has to work with defensively he feels that he will field the best unit regardless. Offensively he drafts talent because he knows he can't scheme a great offense, so he gives them as much talent as possible in order to help that unit become special.

Putting that argument in context of today's era would you rather have

The Ravens of the 2000's- Stellar defense, weak to solid QB play at times, some playoff years, but some real horrible years due to horrendous offense

Or

Tom Brady and the Patriots of the 2000's- stellar QB play, always keeps them in contention even if the defense is mearly above average

Note the defensive brand of the decade Baltimore won a single super bowl, while the Pats won 3 super bowls and had 4 appearances.

Hell even if you want to use Peyton (the other top QB of the decade) he had no defense for years, and he still won a ring, and had another appearance in the big dance.

Me? I'm personally taking the stellar QB and the damn good defense but thats just my opinion

14. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

$$$$ - i don't want him off the team at all but I think they can restructure his deal

15. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I still think cutting Cro makes the most sense because we atleast have a potential replacement for him in Wilson. There is no one replacing Harris/Edwards/Santonio

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes. You have 50 mil tied up in Sanchz. He needs weapons.

17. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Bc of the money + you'll be drafting front 7 in the draft (ie his replacement)

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We need to draft DL.

Ellis is older than Thomas and needs to be replaced first.

19. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

The offense will only get better over time with staples like Sanchez, Greene, Keller, Brick, and Mangold (and hopefully Holmes). We need to get younger on defense. We need to get younger on the DL, a bigtime OLB, and a playmaking free safety.

20. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I agree that Harris may be the odd one out. He is a good player but he does not make those huge plays like other ILB. I look at Karlos Dansby of the Dolphins and wonder what a guy with his speed could do in our defense. The Jets have alot tied up in Bart Scott so I feel Harris may be the one replaced. Now if there was no market and Harris could be brought back, then fine.

The offense needs Edwards and Holmes. As time goes on, the passing game will be more consistent and better.

Mike T has his work cut out for him, especially since the Jets are doing well. Then everyone wants a piece of the pie.