Tannenbaum: We want to keep Santonio AND Braylon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MadBacker Prime, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I agree BT should be back but not at a large number. I say bring him back on exactly the same deal we gave Taylor last year. If Jenkins is gonna come back it should be on a really small deal since he's an enormous injury risk and he wouldn't be expected to be more than a rotational player.

Hartsock can easily be replaced by a late round pick

Yeah forgot about Brunell. I think Pace has already re-worked his contract once, idk if they can do it again but maybe. I'd imagine Sanchez would be asked to restructure his contract.

Idk if Gholston could take another pay cut, at this point I think he'll just be cut.

2. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about Brunell figuring into this. My guess is he retires this year and the Jets retain him on the CS.

3. IATA

IATA Trolls

If restructurin Gholston saves more money, by all means do it. Besides he has shown flashes of being servicable, so on a cheaper pay scale he might be worth his check.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Except for that crazy roster bonus of 10 mill yeah I agree... BT should be put in a position to make around 4/4.5 mill in 2 years.

I'm hoping Mulligan can take Hartsock's place as a blocking TE. 1.6 mill for a blocking TE seems like a lot of money to me... hopefully we can get rid of that contract or bring it down to about 1 mill.

I wonder at what point he'll get tired of this and just move on to another team with a different scheme that suits him better (Rams?)... not that I'll be heart-broken if that happened...

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

But Mark is just a second year player, and really its only the truly elite that can make average players into superstars for a great period of time. I would love it if Mark could develop into that guy, and maybe he will be as far as year 3 is concerned, he won't be able to do it that quickly.

Also assuming Mark isn't the next all time great (which is blasphemy I know) he can develop into a better player, and come as close as possible to reaching his potential as a player if he is surrounded by the best talent possible. Which means keeping his WR together will only help him to become that future great we all hope he can become. Give him the weapons and he will not dissapoint. Without weapons, we don't really know what Sanchez looks like, and frankly why mess with what has worked so far? He is developing rapidly and I want to see that rapid progression continue for as long as possible

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Agree 100%

Sanchez is good and going to get better but he is going to be going into year 3 as a starter and he could use the advantage of throwing to 3 great WR's. Maybe in 2-3 years he is developed enough to start making the guys around him better but it isn't something you want to be banking on with your 3rd year QB.

7. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Couple of things.

a.) restructure Jenkins contract and possibly Pace's. right now pace is overpaid. maybe even think of replacing pace.

b.) I think they'd be willing to take a slight paycut to stay here, play with rex, and a winning team. if a team like the lions or redskins offer than a couple of mil more per year i don't; think they bite.

c.) we sign one to a long term deal and franchise tag the other.

8. Jet In Brooklyn

Jet In Brooklyn New Member

I know no one wants to hear it, but Harris is easily the most expendable out of Holmes, Edwards, Cromartie, and Harris.

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We are so used to not having elite talent at multiple positions that people forget that other teams have retained a plethora of of elite talent in the cap era. When you are an upper echelon team with a bright immediate future (this is the first time I have ever been able to put the Jets in that category) guys WILL take less to play here. Wanting to play for Rex just makes it that much easier. I suspect next years team to look very much the same as this years team. The young guys will get paid, and the older guys will be asked to play for less, and they more than likely will.

10. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Ok, but nobody's talking about dumping all his weapons, we're talking about Braylon.
    Keep in mind this is still the guy we were bagging on last season for dropping wide open touchdowns.
    He's averaging 56 yards a game.
    He's good. I like him. But he's not Jerry Rice.

Mark would still have Holmes, Jaco, Keller, Smith, LT (or whoever...McKnight??) AND a wideout we pick up in the draft.

This is the "if we can't keep everyone" discussion. Having two #1 caliber receivers is a luxury in this league, not a necessity, especially on a team that has no intention of throwing the ball 50 times a game.

Not gonna advocate jettisoning the heart and soul of our defense over a few extra fantasy points.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

What are you smoking? Cro is the most expendable? Hopefully Wilson improves his game, but I don't want Wilson to be our corner covering 2nd WRs next year. Not yet at least. That would be a huge mistake. Until Wilson proves he can play, we need Cro. Ever wonder why all these TEs and 3rd WRs get so many yards on us? Its because Revis and Cro pretty much shut down their assignments.

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Cutting Keller, Sanchez, Cotchery, Moore, LT, Pace and Ellis would also save us money. That doesn't mean they are good options to cut.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Taylor will get cut (10 mill roster bonus) or retire, Jenkins will get massively re-worked or retire, Hartsock makes a shit-load of money considering the n° of snaps he plays.
    BT is the only one I have reservations about...

His post makes sense... I'd also add Ellis to the "re-sign for vet min" list...

#33 Mambo9, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Rex wants you to know that he loves corners more than ILBs.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes but come on man hartsock, jenkins, thomas and taylor arent THOSE players, so whats your point?

I would gladly get rid of those four if it meant keeping both holmes and braylon anyday. EVEN Thomas although hes the best of the 4 and I would like to see him back at the end of the day hes replaceable too.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

lol.

He named a guy who hasn't been healthy in two years and 3 role players and you name every important starter we have. Good parallel:rolleyes:

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Taylor is gone next year, that was pretty much how the contract was done. There is no way on earth he comes back with the same contract, even if he returns a fumble off sacks for TD in the every remaining game. I could be wrong, but Ben Hartsock is making $700k a yr. That is not a lot for a player that actually sees the field besides special teams. And there is no way we cut Woody this year without his replacement. And his replacement would probably make as much if not more unless you go with an unproven player.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Tannenbaum knows he can't keep both but he isn't about to say we want to keep Holmes and Dump Edwards or vice versa. He said the only thing he could say.

19. IATA

IATA Trolls

Thank god we have Don here to tell us how things work.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think you're trying to make a point here?