Tannenbaum: We want to keep Santonio AND Braylon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MadBacker Prime, Dec 1, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

"There has been plenty of speculation about the future of Jets receivers Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes, both of whom are unsigned beyond the 2010 season. While many people around the league believe the Jets will choose to keep one, but not the other, general manager Mike Tannenbaum told me the team hopes to keep them both.

"We think they complement one another, and we want a team that's hard to defend relative to being able to run it and throw it, be an all-weather offense," Tannenbaum said. "Between trading for Braylon [last year] and getting Holmes for 12 games this year, they haven't played a lot of games together, so every game they play is exciting to see. We think every game they play together, it's another step for them to grow as a unit."

Tannenbaum has done an excellent job over the years in keeping players the Jets have targeted, even with salary cap implications. But he has no immediate plans of extending either player's contract because of the labor uncertainty.

"We have to see how the labor situation unfolds," he said.

The Jets extended the contracts of cornerback Darrelle Revis, offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold before the season, but Tannenbaum won't extend any more contracts until there is more clarity with the collective bargaining agreement. If no CBA extension is achieved by March 1, the NFL is expected to lock the players out until a new deal can be reached. Until then, Tannenbaum won't be very active - if at all - when it comes to future contracts.

So far this season, Edwards has 35 catches for 618 yards and six touchdowns in 11 games, while Holmes has 32 catches for 491 yards and four touchdowns and seven games."
    http://www.newsday.com/glauber-s-nf...e-want-to-keep-santonio-and-braylon-1.2507574

I'd love to see this happen, and if anyone could do it it's Tanny.

Can you imagine locking both up long term? With Sanchez leading the way, throwing to Keller, Holmes, and Edwards for years to come Sanchez could break some Jet records for sure and hopefully some NFL records too.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

make it happen, sensai.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I have been saying it Since the cleveland game. The future is in the hands of Mark Sanchez, we need to do whatever it takes to help him succeed. That means keeping his receiving corps together. Even if it means we have to lose Cro or Harris, I think its paramount we keep Holmes and Edwards.

Disclaimer: I hope we can keep all 4, but for Mark's sake, Braylon and Tone first.

If anybody can keep them all here its Tanny

4. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

they both complement eachother well

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery and Keller + Sanchez maturing as an NFL QB (people tend to forget he is only in year 2 looking at how well he's playing) would be killer.
    However, if we did that, I have to believe we'd morph into more of a passing team than a running team. Nothing wrong to me but what will Rex think about it?

Also I wonder what OC would be best suited to wrok with those guys...

PS BTW I think, when it's all said and done, Edwards won't be a Jet in 2011... unless he agrees to take less money to stay here.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

edwards + DUI + stated desire to stay in NY = cheap.

I hope.

I like Cro and all, but he's the most expendable. He just doesn't play tough enough for my taste.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

According to NYJETSCAP the team will 12.225 million by cutting Kris Jenkins, Bryan Thomas, Jason Taylor and Ben Hartsock.

They can also save an additional 3.24 if they cut Woody, altho I think he's here for another year

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

This was just making me think... The Jets are probably going to have let someone really good go this offseason. If we are still longing for Danny Woodhead ten weeks into this season I don't even wanna know what types of threads we will see when one of these guys makes a TD catch or Harris makes a tackle or Cromartie makes an INT. Unless Tanny works some crazy magic to keep them all next season will be great fun for all the captain hindsights on the board.

9. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Sign them all and just have Woody give them some money under the table like the Patriots did with Brady.

10. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I don't think Braylon will come cheap. The DUI stuff seems ancient now if he continues playing well all will be forgotten.

11. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

In reality the most expendable is harris. you can find a starting ILB from day one in the first round of the draft easily. Plus we alreayd have 1 high paid ILB in scott and you don't want to tie up too much money in ILBs. Plus rex loved CBs.

12. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If anything wouldn't that make Scott expendable since he's on the north side of 30?

13. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I'd love to keep all four too, and if anybody can do it it's Tanny. Maybe you can discuss letting Cro walk to keep Edwards, but to think about swapping Harris for Edwards is downright lunacy.

Mark's going to continue to develop into a great QB, and one of the marquee traits of a great QB is the ability to make an average receiver look amazing. Look at what Peyton's been working with lately. Who the hell is Blair White??

If your QB is good enough he can turn a mid 2nd round wideout into an All-pro. What he can't do is create an instinctive fuckin beast of a LB out of thin air.

14. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Braylon and Santonio.
    Antonio and Darelle.

2 killer tandems....

Go Jets!!!!!!!!!

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Premise: It all depends on the new CBA but...

1) Jenkins wants to come back? Great, but at nothing more than 1 mill, he's already made tons of money while being on IR his last 2 seasons.

2) BT Should not be cut... he's a solid OLB. However they should re-work that contract so he stays here in 2011 and 2012 but takes less money in 2011. Something around 2 mill in 2011 and 2.5 in 2012 with 2011 guaranteed and half of 2012 guaranteed.

3) Good-bye Jason Taylor and good-bye Ben Hartsock (might stay depending on CBA but we need those 1.2 mills he's scheduled to make).

4) Out of the big names I agree Cromartie seems like the most expendable. Hopefully Wilson is learning how to turn his head. Also if re-signing Cro is what makes the pick go from a 3rd to a 2nd the Jets should keep that in mind.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Plus 1.3 million for Brunell.

Calvin Pace will have to rework that 7.1 million dollar cap number, because that is just outrageous.

Gholston being cut can save 400,000.. or perhaps he can take another pay cut to stay, since his cap number is 6.2 million.

And Shaun Ellis and his 3.4 million come off the books this year too. It seems like he is being phased out anyway so I don't know if he will be brought back even at a reduced number.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I think if anyone leaves it will be Cro. Harris is a great lb who Rex loves and will want to keep here and might be able to keep him a bit cheaper even though he isnt mmaking much now. Cro has 30 kids and needs to make as much money as possible.

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this a lot. If this is the case does it really make sense to invest so much money in 3 WRs?

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Wilson having an entire offseason of work will help. Especially since this time he will have Revis in TC.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think Tanny is gonna find a way to sign Holmes, Cromartie, Harris, Brad Smith, AND Edwards. The guy is a freaking genius when it comes to making contracts work.

The Jets gave up what looks like it's gonna be a 2nd round pick for Cromartie. I really doubt they let him walk after one season, especially when Wilson has failed to develop as they had hoped.

Harris is pretty much a lock to be re-signed I think.

After the way Holmes has been playing and the chemistry he is forming with Sanchez, I doubt they would let him walk.

Edwards imo has the highest chance to be let go, but I could also see him be brought back on a pretty friendly contract. Like the numbers will look big, but a lot of it will be phony money like most contracts are. Like 5 years/25 million or something, but the first year is a low number, and they can dump him after 1 more season while they develop another receiver under him. Maybe Patrick Turner?