Unreal: 13-3 Might Get Us #1 Seed...or #5

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Nov 27, 2010.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Question: What if the Jets have the 2nd best record in the AFC behind the Patriots...do they get a bye? Has this ever happened before? Very weird situation, this would be.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

They get the 5th seed, and they play the AFC West.

Just like any other year.

Give me any AFC West team. They'll get killed.

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I'm still not sure that has ever happened, so I don't know what you mean by "just like any other year." I can never remember the teams with the 2 best records being in the same division, ever. Good to know, though...so unfair, but what are you going to do.

4. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Even if we finished 5th we'd be facing the AFC south or AFC west champion. Not worried about any of those teams.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

2000 Ravens were 12-4 with a Wildcard.

They won the SB.

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Yeah but there always is a shitty division, I know changing the rules around has been brought up.

In 2008, AFC West, 8-8 team won the division and a 9-7 team won the NFC West.

2007, Tampa Bay won the South with 9-7 record, and the same thing in the 06 season Seattle won the West at 9-7.
    That was the year the 8-8 Giants made the playoffs, lol.

I'd like to see the team with the better record always host but I know that'll never happen.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

In 2008 the Titans were 13-3 and the Colts were 12-4 I think so there is precedent there.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Better record is a different argument, and one that I'm indifferent about.

If they change that I'm for it, if they don't then I don't mind. I could see the NFL change that first before an entire division isn't represented in the postseason.

I can't see the owners agreeing to the top 6 teams only. I can think of 8 west coast owners who would be totally against changing to that format.

9. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

San Diego plys in the AFC West and I doubt we would kill them ... but that's really not the point. It would suck having to win 3 playoff games instead of 2 ... and probably all on the road. Very difficult and hasn't happened very often. This is really gonna blow if we lose to New England and go in as a 12-4 or even 13-3 Wildcard.

10. MadBacker Prime

No worries bloke, we aren't going to lose.

Hakuna matata!!

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Giants did it, Steelers did it, Ravens did it. It can be done. The Titans didn't win the division in 1999, and they made the SB as well.

4 times in 11 years is enough to tell me that its a possibility. And the Jets are better on the road.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's how I feel too.

13. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

the league will never allow a team to have no playoff rights for winning a division, even if that division is in the west (read:weak as fuck). So lets not even go down that road. as for the aligning the playoff rankings by record, i don't think its a simple as that. part of why it's like it is now, is bc winning your division should be the first thing you concern yourself with before playoffs and home-field come into play. win the division, you don't have these problems. its really only an issue for teams that have to deal with it, like us and the pats(this year). price you pay for a strong division. while its happening more frequently nowadays, its still not a common problem year in year out.

14. MadBacker Prime

No one suggested that, so that's a non-issue. Of course the NFL will put division winners in, how could they not?

15. RMorin

RMorin Member

You really think that rivalries are just as good in the NBA compared to the NFL?? Every team in your division in the NFL is an automatic rival, regardless of how good they are because of how often they play each other and thats one of the best parts of the NFL, that divisions mean something. Only MLB even comes close to getting the same rivalries and that is because guess what? Division winners automatically qualify regadless of overall ranking in that league too.

It is NOTHING but sour grapes to say that the Jets should be better then a 5 seed if they do not win the division. If the situation was reversed, and we were sitting at 6-5 at the top of our division right now, there would not be a single Jet fan saying we didn't deserve a home game. You win your division you get a home game, you don't win it and you have no one to blame but yourself.

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

imo if a division winner faces a WC team with a better record the WC team should be the home team. You reward the team that won their division while still rewarding the team with the better record. #5 seed could easily be a 12-4/13-3 team but has to play vs. a 9-7 team on the road...that's bs to me.

17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

The #5 or #6 Seeds are getting a San Diego team that will likely finish 11-5 by running the table....is getting back key offensive players...and has a pretty good "D."

The other Seed gets Baltimore with Peyton Manning getting back 4-6 players by the playoffs.

Oh yeah, both games ON THE ROAD for the #5/#6 seeds.

18. theBidet

theBidet Active Member

it was briefly alluded to in post 68, which i was commenting on.
    but yes. we agree that will never happen.

19. neg_serye

neg_serye New Member

The Pats went 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs while the 8-8 chargers made the playoff, that's really not fair.

20. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

No, that is fair because the rules that were agreed upon by the owners decades ago are still in place today. The Chargers won their division, the Patriots did not.

#80 ace_o_spades, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010