1986 parallel to now.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yeah, most of Walton's early success was with the core that Michaels built, of course with a few offensive weapons like O'Brien, Toon and Hector added in. Once that core got old Walton was exposed and we had no GM to fix it. O'Brien was never the same, he was gutsy and a veteran leader in the Coslet years but Coslet was looking to replace him from the minute he got there and the team wasn't very good.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

True but he was still playing and we lost more b/c of how bad the offense(specifically the QB) was than the D. The only game we won down the stretch was b/c the D scored a late TD.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I never bought the Favre injury either, why did all of this come out after the season? Was it because Favre was more concerned with his streak or because it really wasn't an injury? I'm glad all of that happened though as we are in much better position now then we ever were. We have only lost 3 games going back to before Christmas of last year.

4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

My take on that was that in Mangini's universe, they didn't talk about injuries.

5. nyjunc

I believe that he was hurt but I don't believe it affected him as much as he now claims. He was hurt in october I believe yet he played his best football in November.

I agree, unintentionally that Favre trdae made the current team possible. If we keep Chad we win the division, Mangini is still here and we don't have Sanchez long term but thatnks to Brett being so awful we got Rex and sanchez and are set up to be an elite team for a few years to come.

6. mrgoose

mrgoose Member

Yes, there was a MAJOR riot at Umass after the Mets beat the Red Sox in Game 7. The second largest population of students at Umass at the time were from New York and when the final out was made, many headed outside the Southwest high-rise dormatory area to celebrate in the quad below the high-rises. Red Sox fans, who had to endure the Bill Buckner fiasco in Game 6 and blowing a 3-0 lead in Game 7 simply snapped when the saw all the Mets fans cheering, yelling and celebrating wildly.

It is important to note that the riot did NOT start as a race riot, contrary to what the press tried to suggest (and, yes, I am black). What actually happened was ticked off Red Sox fans came out and confronted the Mets fans. Words were exchanged and then all you know what broke loose. As more people joined in, it EVOLVED into a race riot as there was no way to identify baseball allegances anymore and people began trying to help their friends. It was UGLY. People began using weapons (bats, 2 X4's , etc.) One kid (I believe his name was Chauncy, if I recall correctly) was beaten so badly he an arm and both legs broken. I remember Nightline with Ted Koppel did a feature story on the riot the following night.

About a week later, Mookie Wilson (Mets) and Marty Barrett (Red Sox) came to campus to talk to us about the incident and the importance of keeping sports in perspective.

7. Uzone27

Uzone27 New Member

Wow man...never knew about this...I was at Camp Pendelton in CA when the Mets won it all. We had a lot of folks from Texas in my unit, so I won a lot of money in the Houston Series.

A lot of them were butt-hurt so they doubled up on the Sox. I remember after Keith Hernandez made his out in game six...I was on barracks watch, and walked around to all the common areas paying out all the people I had bets with....and then relishing in the disbelief as I went to collect it all back after we won.

I moved here to Boston when I got out of the USMC in 1987, and it's weird that after years of going to Boston area bars with my NY gear on, no one ever broached that story with me.

My expereince has been that Red Sox / Mets fans tend to be more allied in our hatred of the Yankees than anything else. Anyway thanks for the story man.

Went to the White Horse in Brighton to catch the game last weekend because my usual haunt at the Silhouette lounge doesn't have sattelite.
    There were quite a few Jets fans there...wonder if any of them are out here?

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

dislexyc...;)

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It was really upsetting but would have been worse if I had to hear the ending on the radio.

10. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I was young and working that evening and had to listen to the ending on a walkman shared by 5 Jets fans I worked with.

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

yeah, lij wrote that one

Cak

12. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Getting out of the Meadowlands parking lot in the 80s was murder
    if you stayed ton the end, it was an extra two hours

I remember one game in that dreadful '86 streak... 17-3 loss to the Rams

the traffic was backed up from the parking lot all the way to my home (then in Yonkers) 4 hours

I don't blame people for leaving early then

PS two great comebacks.. '86 and 2000 both against Dolphins !

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

still is...... from Long Island, and hour tops to the game, 3 to get home.

Might as well re-light the grill and have dinner and listen to the later game on the radio. Sucks for the driver that day. :drunk:

14. Italian Seafood

I believe he was injured, he had surgery on his arm after the season, I'm sure he didn't do that just to back up his story. The streak may have factored in from Favre's end, but from the coaching staff's point of view they might not have known how severe the injury was. So to them a banged up Favre is still better than a healthy Kellen Clemens going down the playoff stretch run, I can't fault them either.

To be fair, I always credited Chad Pennington for playing hurt at the end of 2004 because the team needed him and the backup wasn't a viable option, this was the same situation. To me the difference is Pennington was smart enough to realize what he could and couldn't do and play the game accordingly. The result was a playoff road win at San Diego and putting us in position to beat a 15-1 team at Pittsburgh, even though his own performance suffered he managed the games to where the team could win. Favre either couldn't or just didn't do that. Knowing he was hurt he continued forcing the ball all over the field and kiling us with it, that's where I fault him. After 18 years in the league you'd think he would have figured out a lot more shit than he has.

15. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Its funny,

I was thinking the same thing today. We could be 10-1 after 11 games. If that happens, think we're deep enough to avoid the 0-5 streak the '86 teams went on. Plus, I think Ryan is a better HC than Joe Walton. I've always wondered if Wesley Walker hadn't taken a big hit and dropped that TD pass against the Rams at home, if our fate would have been different. One win in that last five could have broken the SOJ spell.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I remember the Seattle game well. It was the first and only time I watched the Jets offense and thought "Holy Crap, we can do whatever we want. They can't stop us!" It was an amazing realisation.

17. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

A buddy of mine, Fish fan, called me to congratulate me on the win at the exact same moment. Turned out to be the kiss of death.

18. Italian Seafood

I was sitting above that end zone that day upstairs. It was freezing that day.

And yes, Rex Ryan is certainly a better coach than Joe Walton.

19. nyjunc

That was Thanksgiving weekend, on my Pop Warner team we had a bowl game down in North Carolina the day before and we returned home that morning. I remember being really excited to watch the game and end that 1 game losing streak- it didn't work out.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well for those that scoffed at the comparison, this has evolved nicely and we have dream set up after 11 games with a monday nighter against a division rival, in their building, for first place.....

not too much different from the monday nighter in 86, after 11 games, against the fish in florida.....

hopefully the result will be different this time so enjoy the hype.

jil