World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by tfineZ, Feb 23, 2006.

1. IATA

IATA Trolls

Alot do, but I don't understand why. I think alot still play simply out of sheer habit.

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I been back on it the last couple weeks.. looking to the cataclysm release. The lead up has been entertaining. The shattering looks to happen tonight... might be one of the better pre-release events in online gaming.

3. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

I used to play this game a lot when it came out in 2004-05. I played for about 2-3 years and honestly I'd say I was fairly into it. However, after a while the game tends to repeat itself. The general concept of the game is very repetitive: Do mundane tasks such as running dungeons, raids, or doing daily quests to make incremental upgrades to your character's gear. In a few months, new stuff makes that gear obsolete, so you continue the process.

I've done it all and I'm satisfied with the experience, but I reached a point where I no longer wanted to continue to keep up because I realized it was just a cycle intended to keep people subscribing.

All in all, it seems like the game developers have moved toward a philosophy of releasing just enough small updates to keep people subscribing, and have introduced new fees and charges for lazy people, such as being able to change the race of your character or something absurd.

Blizzard is brilliant but I think their attention shifted a while ago to the next project.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

GET OUT!

[​IMG]

NERDS-

[​IMG]

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Quit WoW and play EvE online - much better.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its also a social thing. I've played with the same group of people for the last 4 years. My Lady plays and we will often spend nights at home when we both have off killing shit instead of getting silly drunk now days. Its a good way to fill time for those trying to avoid worse habbits, like Alcohol, drugs, or annoying the shit out of people on message boards. :smile:

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yeah, the social aspect is one reason a lot of people play. The game is going to be a cycle like that for the most part, wash, rinse, repeat. They do a nice job of changing the scenery and coming up some interesting bits now and again. It is barely above shit like Farmville and Bejeweled online though. lol I mostly use it as a winter distraction when the weather gets cold and I get bored of other things. I will usually play 2-3 months and then get bored and put the account back on hold. Worse ways I could be blowing a few dollars.

8. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

The patch last night was ok I guess. A lot of changes in the topography, and geology of the landscape. New quests and the like as well. I think its a good way to get veteran players to start to characters and level them up. Since I have no desire to play anything but my main level 80, I'll continue to wait on the expansion to drop.

9. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

TOR is the next WoW...

10. Christian

Christian Active Member

As much as I would love for that to happen I don't see anything becoming the next WoW.

11. TorontoJETSfan

TorontoJETSfan New Member

Having kids put and end to my WOW days. However, I have given my wife fair warning that when Diablo III comes out, i will be locked in the Basement for a "bit".

12. IATA

IATA Trolls

So was Guild Wars
    So was LOTRO
    So was Tabula Rasa
    So was Jedi in SWG
    etc...

Nothing will be the next Wow, except the WoW 2.

13. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

DCUO is pretty good. It doesn't have auto attacks. It kind of plays like Arkham Asylum you have to actually use combos and such to be effective.

14. IATA

IATA Trolls

I was looking forward to DCU up until E3. It looks like Arkham meets City Of Heroes. The game will die a lame ass death.

15. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

It's actually really good. I like that it's more skill based than gear and stat based. It's not really anything like CoH besides the hero theme. Gameplay is actually fun unlike most mmo games.

16. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

How the fuck are you going to include a game that came out BEFORE WoW?

Jedi were in SWG before WoW came out too.

Tabula Rasa was a garbage shooter.

LOTRO is WoW with a LOTR skin, which was trying to pretend it wasn't.

TOR is a much different animal.