Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Bradwaysux?

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Now I understand. So the offense is like the handicapped kid that gets a medal at the special olympics while the defense gets shit on for not being ranked #1. That's fair.

Seriously, we might as well put this thread to bed already since none of you "Schotty-lovers" will be able to convince us "Schotty-haters" that he is a good coordinator until we see it for ourselves (and vice-versa).

Personally, I'm done with this topic and I am focusing my energy on hating the Patriots.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I'll never quite understand the people who think its important to divide the world into to 2 sides and have an argument about everything. Schotty is the OC, its fair to critique his performance thus far and to point out areas for improvement. He's done some things well and other things not so well. I don't think everybody who points out where his playcalling sucked is bashing him. Nor is every person who points to some areas of improvement an apologist.

Can't we all just get along?

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think it's funny that Sanchez and Holmes have been calling game winning plays.

I wonder if that latest game winning TD was their idea too.

5. That's beautiful, man!

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

No your not, you won't be able to help yourself on that first 3rd and 4 that the Jets fail to convert.

Your analogy is the one that belongs in the special Olympics BTW. The offense was expected to be middle of the pack because Sanchez is still in second year. He has exceeded my expectations so far this year but he still has a ways to go in the way of consistency. When your QB is inconsistent it is hard to expect much more than slightly above average, which the offense is.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

See, that's the point. Those of us viewed as "apologists" are pointing out flaws in his playcalling. The problem is, the "haters" have to yell really loud "SCHITTY SUXXXX!" and ignore that he has this offense putting points on the board.

We "apologists" are simply saying "Lay off because he's not nearly as bad a coach as you 'haters' would love to believe he is." Of course, they can't hear us over their incessant roaring.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I know I keep repeating this, but anyone who expected better than top 5 out of the defense doesn't understand regression to the mean. In 28 of the past 30 years the #1 ranked defense in the league finished lower the next year, with the average being something like 11th. A top 5 performance out of the defense this year would be better than expected based on past NFL history, not worse.

9. ukilledkenny

I have read your regression to the mean posts before. I don't care what the numbers say should happen to be honest with you. This team has the players and the coaching to be number one and that should be the goal. I don't think Rex would be taking any solace in the defense being 5th if you told him that statistically it was supposed to happen.

10. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yes, and the complaint will be one of three things.

1) 3rd and 4 and Schotty goes with NO running back. Way to be CUTESY! They didn't even have to respect the run.
    2) 3rd and 4 and Schotty throws 40 yards down field. Idiot! (as if Schotty made the read and throw)
    3) 3rd and 4 and we run the draw? Once again, predictable Schottyball. (as if we ever run a draw)

11. The Notorious J.E.T.S

I'm sorry, but an offense with two pro-bowlers on the o-line, an all-star receiving corps and our running backs should not be middle of the pack. I don't care if Trent Dilfer is your QB..that offense better dominate. And we probably would if our coordinator didn't go full retard at least 5 times a game.

12. ukilledkenny

I could break it down in an even more simple manner.

If it was a pass Schotty is an idiot because he should have ran it.

If it was a run he is an idiot because obviously a pass was the right call in that situation.

13. And again, we have hit on the armchair syndrome. Schotty has the misfortune of being the Jets' OC. That leads to a ton of second-guessing by the armchair guys, emboldened by the Madden series of games, shows on TV that "break down" film, and sports talk radio that second-guesses everything. The armchair guys know more about playcalling than people who spend their lives doing this.

It doesn't matter who the Jets' OC is. That person would face much of the same criticism, all because of the armchair culture rampant throughout the NFL, especially in this fanbase and media market.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Hey, lots of people prefer to ignore the basic implications of randomness, and inevitably it leads to poor decision-making. The goal should always be to be the best that you can be, and to address correctable mistakes, but if Ryan was stupid enough to make fundamental changes to his defensive philosophy because the defense was "underperforming" it would be a gigantic mistake with terrible implications for the team. That's why getting worked up over ranking 5th on defense (or more generally, over supposed trends that are just regression to the mean) is not only wrong and pointless, it's dangerous. Fortunately, I'm very confident that Ryan isn't that stupid.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I had better expectations for the O, I'm not down on the D, that was just a response to Ms.Cunningham.

I'm loving this team right now, my problem to address your earlier post is not that everyone except Moore and Reid have IQ's under 90, it's that 31 other teams have a better short passing game than we do.

Schotty the Elder is notorious for being inflexible, and forcing the Run

Schotty the Younger is showing that while he's escaped his Fathers predeliction for 3 yards and a cloud of dust, he seems inflexible with his incapacity (in SPITE OF THE FACT that they ran a study in the offseason) of merely finding a short passing game (read Charlie Weis or the Pats) to incorporate.

16. ukilledkenny

Your the one going full retard, but keep going it's entertaining.

17. The Notorious J.E.T.S

So I insult Schotty and you insult me? You sound like his bitch.

18. ukilledkenny

We have a QB with a 55% completion percentage. You seriously think it's the play calling that is resulting in that? I love Sanchez as much as the next guy but let's not make it to seem like he isn't missing guys open multiple times per game. He seems to have a tendency to force it downfield more than he probably should. I doubt that your short passing game complaint is because we send everyone downfield every play. When Sanchez can see the field a bit better and has a better feel of where his guys should be the offense will/would look complete.

I doubt Schotty stays on as OC long enough for us to see him calling plays for a 4 year veteran Sanchez but I have a sneaky suspicion that every complaint about Schotty running the O would disappear.

19. ukilledkenny

I am comfortable in my opinion regarding Schotty and you. Your the one who is getting worked up about this. I mean I even got you to jump back into this topic moments after you said you were done with it. Sounds like you might be my bitch.

20. ukilledkenny

I agree with that and don't think the defense is under performing at all. There have been some really bad mental breakdowns that need to be fixed and maybe some different calls in certain situations but nothing major needs to be done. I just simply think that the talent and coaching have the ability to overcome what would be considered a statistically predictable regression. We'll see how that goes over the last 6 games here.